Morton vs. Thistle

Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Morton have posted their highlights here. Can anyone explain why Caldwell thinks McGinty is responsible for the first 2 goals?

I was at Cappielow and after watching this video, I am still of the opinion that Bell could and should have done better at all 5 goals.

The defence have no confidence because he does not command his area, and rarely comes off his line.

Yes, crosses were not being stopped from coming in. But an experienced keeper like Bell should be marshalling his defenders and come for everything that looks like entering the six yard box.

If it is true that GC blamed McGinty solely responsible, then I can understand McGinty's frustration.

We have to start trying to be more positive in an attacking sense, Sneddon for Bell for the above reasons. Push Penrice and Fitzpatrick into attacking midfield roles with Bannigan providing support and cover, Erskine to probe and link up with the forwards, he is the only creative player we have. Pick whoever up front, we have a selection of forwards who I am sure are better players than they have shown to date, because of the negative tactics. Kind of stuck with defenders we have, but as a unit move the ball forward quicker.

I have been going to support the Jags for over 55 years now, and all I ask the players and the new manager is that we change the attitude that has prevailed for 18 months, positive attitude with honest endeavour can turn things around.

• Like 1

Couldn't  go to Cappielow at the weekend but watching those highlights it's just scary how poor a side we look.

Going on the premise that GC , a former international defender, determines our defensive formation I can't understand what's going on with the first two goals.

Why have Slater, who cannae tackle a fish supper, take on the Morton winger and have Elliott standing off so far away that he's totally ineffective in providing secondary cover?

I feel it was harsh if GC blamed  Sean McGinty for either of these goals.

For the first, McGinty had to have one eye on the advancing Morton No 11 and found himself on the wrong side of the goalscorer. But he could have justifiably expected better support from others in cutting out the cross.   The second was a travesty in that a gust of wind took the ball away from McGinty towards the Morton striker. The ball was almost behind the Morton player when he headed it and as a former keeper I would have expected to have got a good hand to that.

Where was the cover at their 3rd goal?  How could we give them so much space at that back post?  Just shocking team management and once again disappointing goalkeeping!

No excuses for the 4th. Christie Elliott cocked up again. I feel for the guy as his season is going from bad to worse. My gut feeling is that the lad is being bombarded with tactics and other pre match advice and as a result is a bag of nerves. He seldom gets a chance in our line up to play his natural game, which in my view is going forward at pace.. Not sure what the short term solution is as Archie didn't address the problem during his tenure and we have no cover at present. GC needs to earn his corn here and come up with an answer to this gaping hole in the right hand side of our defence.

I've not been impressed by Cammy Bell this season and the final goal shows why.  Horrible conditions I know,  but surely you've got to get a block of some sort on a shot from that distance? 

Maybe we're short of resources just now, but as soon as possible, I would give Elliott a break for a couple of weeks to mentally recharge. Bell ,Spittal and Storey I would drop and hopefully make them compete more for their places and future careers at Thistle and beyond.

Also, don't know where he was at the  weekend but I would play Coulibaly from the start. From what I saw at Alloa, in the short time he was on the park, he knows his craft and will score goals.

• Like 1

The worst thing about  our current situation is when I got to work today, deep in enemy territory, nobody took the pish.  They more or less avoided the topic even at the breaks and talked about all sorts of guff rather than the football. It was like a death in the family and somebody meets you and doesn't have a clue what to say.

That sums it up really, even they were too embarrassed to rip into me, and even though I made the usual jokes about it, the whole thing feels a bit hollow now.

1 hour ago, Harrybriscoe said:

Where was the cover at their 3rd goal?  How could we give them so much space at that back post?  Just shocking team management and once again disappointing goalkeeping!

No excuses for the 4th. Christie Elliott cocked up again. I feel for the guy as his season is going from bad to worse. My gut feeling is that the lad is being bombarded with tactics and other pre match advice and as a result is a bag of nerves. He seldom gets a chance in our line up to play his natural game, which in my view is going forward at pace.. Not sure what the short term solution is as Archie didn't address the problem during his tenure and we have no cover at present. GC needs to earn his corn here and come up with an answer to this gaping hole in the right hand side of our defence.

I've not been impressed by Cammy Bell this season and the final goal shows why.  Horrible conditions I know,  but surely you've got to get a block of some sort on a shot from that distance? 

Sorry for the selective quoting but as good as your analysis of the second half is correct analysing the second half performance holds no value. The back 4 we put out was doomed to failure as soon as it left the dressing room. If we ever see Keown on the left side, Elliot at centre back or McCarthy at rightback then either the manager wants to be sacked or he's got a wierd sense of humour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, laukat said:

Morton have posted their highlights here. Can anyone explain why Caldwell thinks McGinty is responsible for the first 2 goals?

Yes. Gets caught wrong side of his man at first allowing him time and space to score and and doesn't challenge for the header at the second, allowing a free header for the goal.

1 minute ago, Chachi said:

Storey has to be added to that list

I would also add Storer, Scobbie, Melbourne, Jeffries and Mutombo. If they can't get a starting slot in this shambles then they really need a new start.

Slightly worried that we haven't tied up Quitongo and Bannigan.

9 hours ago, laukat said:

Watch it again he clearly is. Though bell was awful too. No idea why you rate mcginty so much he like Elliott, bell, keown etc has cost countless goals this season 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jag said:

Yes. Gets caught wrong side of his man at first allowing him time and space to score and and doesn't challenge for the header at the second, allowing a free header for the goal.

I’m glad someone stated the obvious here. Just because the wide players have failed to stop the cross and the keeper has failed to make a routine save doesn’t mean McGinty didn’t make an absolute arse of both marking his man and clearing his lines.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hankey said:

Bannigan whilst nowhere near our worst is well overrated IMO. He's never kicked on. Still gets booked a lot, never added much in the way of goals or assists to his game.  

Bannigan, with a good run of games & decent support is probably the best player in the league. In my opinion.

However, yes, he does attract too many stupid yellow cards which will cost us. Lazy fouls mostly.

14 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Fair play to you regarding Archie being wrong at the end - it took me a long time as well, blinded quite a bit by the legendary status and also by putting a considerable blame on the players who have and still are playing a large part in this mess as have the board 

i wanted McCall and then maybe Goodwin as choice.  I don’t know about Caldwell at all but I feel personally he has got to be given the January window just to see what players he does bring in - granted it’s a pretty poor start but part of it goes back to these players many of whom I hope will depart soon

A very considered position third lanark. Hard to argue against your point of him getting the january window. I too wanted mccall and goodwin in the same order but perhaps a letter to santa will help. 

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Watch it again he clearly is. Though bell was awful too. No idea why you rate mcginty so much he like Elliott, bell, keown etc has cost countless goals this season  

Whilst I hated Saturday's game one of the things has been cathartic has been this forum and I appreciate others have different opinions so happy to explain my thinking in a bit more detail. Sorry for the length of the post.

The starting premise for me is that the manager has stated he's done his homework on the players. You can't massively change a players technique once they get beyond their teenage years but you can change their positioning and tactical awareness. So no point complaining that Storey isn't Pele or McGinty isn't Baresi. They are the tools at the manager's disposal its up to him who he fields to create his best team and ensure they are in the right position tactically to influence the play.

Turning to the goals. Slater, Elliot, Keown, Bell and McGinty are the only ones close enough to influence the outcome.

Slater - He shouldn't dive in and he was beaten with embarrising ease. His defensive technique is to blame as he is the right position. He does the same at both goals

Elliot - He's not close enough to stop the cross or in the box to get it away. He does the same at both goals

Keown - He's out of position and therefore not close enough to stop the cross or prevent the run to the near post for the first. At the second the cross goes to the far post so he's not a factor

McGinty - His starting position is correct. He just can't keep up with the morton striker. His problem is he isn't quick enough to get to the front post for the first or adjust to the wind effected flight of the ball for the second both of which are technique issues. If the wind doesn't change the flight of the ball so dramatically he heads it away.

Bell - His starting position is correct for the first but he doesn't react at all to the Morton striker for the first so doesn't get off his line. For the second he can't possibly come for that cross and the header is well placed.

So Slater and Elliot are the common factors in both goals. Actually about 5 minutes before that Morton had a very similar attack that resulted in a miss-placed shot. So they did the same thing 3 times. Slater's problem is his defensive technique not his position so I would suggest whoever told him to play that position created that problem as his technique doesn't really change. Elliot's problem is his positioning but we know he's not a right back so he needed someone in front of him who could protect better than Slater. Therefore the manager is cuplable.

If at halftime Caldwell had a go at all his team and McGinty objected then the manager was correct to take him off. If however the manager singled McGinty out then the manager has got it badly wrong.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of McGinty. On another topic I said I was undecided on him and I still am. Playing alongisde O'Ware he looked like he was what we needed and they complemented each other. At that stage we missed a defensive midfielder to provide protection. Playing alongside Keown it s a different story. They are too similar and there is now reasonable defensive midfield cover. Neither Keown or McGinty feels comfortable taking the ball out of defence so we struggle to move forward quickly. Both would rather play a short pass or blooter it. However McGinty has on occassion shown he can play a pass (against QOS, the pass to Spittal for Doolan's goal). We need to recruit a centre half more comfortable on the ball. If he is left sided then McGinty will be sacrificed, if he is right sided its Keown.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Bannigan, with a good run of games & decent support is probably the best player in the league. In my opinion.

However, yes, he does attract too many stupid yellow cards which will cost us. Lazy fouls mostly.

Your second point maybe contradicts your first. I doubt tho' there's any club in our division that wouldn't want him. To put a positive spin on things, Banzo isn't anymore reckless these days as he was when he wasn't first choice to break up play. Anyway he's the least of concerns just now. In fact maybe the only player that form, effort or confidence isn't in serious question. 

3 hours ago, Hankey said:

Bannigan whilst nowhere near our worst is well overrated IMO. He's never kicked on. Still gets booked a lot, never added much in the way of goals or assists to his game.  

Bannigan is a holding midfielder, he picks up deep and drives the play forward, till he finds... none of the flair players either making runs or space, he then keeps possession , either back or sideways, assists and goals isnt his job, look at other holding players, Broony, Keane, for example, get a nose bleed in final 3rd. Not havin an out ball in front if him, is starting to make him look ineffective 

20 hours ago, Harrybriscoe said:

Morton-supporting mate tells me Bell was way out of position and still shouting at someone about the goal that had just gone in.  Tidser saw an unguarded net and just toe-poked it in.

2 hours ago, Albert's Ghost said:

Morton-supporting mate tells me Bell was way out of position and still shouting at someone about the goal that had just gone in.  Tidser saw an unguarded net and just toe-poked it in.

All goalies blame somebody else when they let a goal in. Even when it is their fault. I think it must be part of the training session during the week.

5 hours ago, laukat said:

Whilst I hated Saturday's game one of the things has been cathartic has been this forum and I appreciate others have different opinions so happy to explain my thinking in a bit more detail. Sorry for the length of the post.

The starting premise for me is that the manager has stated he's done his homework on the players. You can't massively change a players technique once they get beyond their teenage years but you can change their positioning and tactical awareness. So no point complaining that Storey isn't Pele or McGinty isn't Baresi. They are the tools at the manager's disposal its up to him who he fields to create his best team and ensure they are in the right position tactically to influence the play.

Turning to the goals. Slater, Elliot, Keown, Bell and McGinty are the only ones close enough to influence the outcome.

Slater - He shouldn't dive in and he was beaten with embarrising ease. His defensive technique is to blame as he is the right position. He does the same at both goals

Elliot - He's not close enough to stop the cross or in the box to get it away. He does the same at both goals

Keown - He's out of position and therefore not close enough to stop the cross or prevent the run to the near post for the first. At the second the cross goes to the far post so he's not a factor

McGinty - His starting position is correct. He just can't keep up with the morton striker. His problem is he isn't quick enough to get to the front post for the first or adjust to the wind effected flight of the ball for the second both of which are technique issues. If the wind doesn't change the flight of the ball so dramatically he heads it away.

Bell - His starting position is correct for the first but he doesn't react at all to the Morton striker for the first so doesn't get off his line. For the second he can't possibly come for that cross and the header is well placed.

So Slater and Elliot are the common factors in both goals. Actually about 5 minutes before that Morton had a very similar attack that resulted in a miss-placed shot. So they did the same thing 3 times. Slater's problem is his defensive technique not his position so I would suggest whoever told him to play that position created that problem as his technique doesn't really change. Elliot's problem is his positioning but we know he's not a right back so he needed someone in front of him who could protect better than Slater. Therefore the manager is cuplable.

If at halftime Caldwell had a go at all his team and McGinty objected then the manager was correct to take him off. If however the manager singled McGinty out then the manager has got it badly wrong.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of McGinty. On another topic I said I was undecided on him and I still am. Playing alongisde O'Ware he looked like he was what we needed and they complemented each other. At that stage we missed a defensive midfielder to provide protection. Playing alongside Keown it s a different story. They are too similar and there is now reasonable defensive midfield cover. Neither Keown or McGinty feels comfortable taking the ball out of defence so we struggle to move forward quickly. Both would rather play a short pass or blooter it. However McGinty has on occassion shown he can play a pass (against QOS, the pass to Spittal for Doolan's goal). We need to recruit a centre half more comfortable on the ball. If he is left sided then McGinty will be sacrificed, if he is right sided its Keown.

There’s no doubt you have done your homework with this detailed and impressive consideration laukat and respect to you for doing so :-)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, laukat said:

You could get a job as a manager with that analysis.