The Gaffer

Very interesting (in parts), especially the latter stuff about his management experience.

Given the quality of players he has played with, coached, and managed he must be viewing the shower of sh1te that we've got with despair.

At one point he made a complete clear out at Wigan keeping only 3 players: sounds good to me.

2 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Very interesting (in parts), especially the latter stuff about his management experience.

Given the quality of players he has played with, coached, and managed he must be viewing the shower of sh1te that we've got with despair.

At one point he made a complete clear out at Wigan keeping only 3 players: sounds good to me.

How did that Wigan team do ?

4 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Did he release Jack Hendry?

6 hours ago, Prince of Partick said:

The gaffer comes across  well and his experience will benefit us, Rome was not built in a day, so lets keep our nerve and support our team.

I am sure he will drill our defenders but I believe what is required is a forward coach, any suggestions.

Don’t think we need a forwards coach , we need to play on the front foot and change our style of play and the goals will come , doesn’t matter if we have a forwards coach if you don’t create chances you don’t score goals . 

He did sign Jack Hendry.

Hendry and Will Grigg are the successes of his signings in the longer term (beyond the success of promotion that season).  Grigg of course cost a million quid!

Hendry was irrelevant, but Griggs goals were priceless to that promotion team.

Chesterfield had won 4 of their last 9 games before he took over, including the last game before he was appointed.  They signed 6 players after he was appointed in January, on loan or permanently and sold a couple. They won 2 of the next 19, both 1-0, and it wasn't until his 8th game in charge they recorded their first win - hopefully it is sooner than that down Firhill way!

The interesting thing is that even in the promotion winning season it took a bit of time to get going - they were much better in second half of season,  having lost 3 of their first 7, they only lost a further 4 all season in the League.  The slow starts at Chesterfield (which never got better), and the slow start in the promotion season with Wigan make me HOPE that he is a perennial slow starter and he can turn things around with us and then go on a run of good form as he did with Wigan in his successful season.

21 hours ago, Prince of Partick said:

The gaffer comes across  well and his experience will benefit us, Rome was not built in a day, so lets keep our nerve and support our team.

I am sure he will drill our defenders but I believe what is required is a forward coach, any suggestions.

I hesitate to say this name, i can well imagine the reaction. Here goes. Billy Dodds. He's an outstanding forward coach. I don't want to come accross as an arse  but.....I've yet to speak to anyone involved in the game who doesn't rate him as a forward coach. He's toxic at dens park which would add the benefit of winding dungdee up when we play them next season.

Let the abuse begin

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

I hesitate to say this name, i can well imagine the reaction. Here goes. Billy Dodds. He's an outstanding forward coach. I don't want to come accross as an arse  but.....I've yet to speak to anyone involved in the game who doesn't rate him as a forward coach. He's toxic at dens park which would add the benefit of winding dungdee up when we play them next season.

Let the abuse begin

That’s a good idea as a striking coach - didn’t want McIntyre as manager- but Dodds as a striking coach is a good one.

played for the club and like Ian McCall has brought up his son to be a jags fan

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Let the abuse begin

No thanks. A snivelling wee ratfaced blue nosed prick.

Edited by Garscube Road End

42 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

No thanks. A snivelling wee ratfaced blue nosed prick.

Ah! Caught you sitting on the fence again. Why don't you just come out with it for once and tell us you just don't rate the guy?

Anyway where has all this Billy Dodds is a good striking coach come from? He's been assistant manager at a few clubs and he used to play as a forward. There has to be more to it than that, I suppose.

We have one of the best goal scorers in the Scottish game in our squad. I don't think Doolan has lost it overnight if we make chances for him we know he will put a good percentage of them away.  I think a call to John Hughes to ask him how he got Storey to score double figures for ICT might be worth a shout, as he is the only one who has managed to get him to score a good amount. Also hope in the coming  weeks we will see Quitongo and Coulibaly  fully fit.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

We have one of the best goal scorers in the Scottish game in our squad. I don't think Doolan has lost it overnight if we make chances for him we know he will put a good percentage of them away.  I think a call to John Hughes to ask him how he got Storey to score double figures for ICT might be worth a shout, as he is the only one who has managed to get him to score a good amount. Also hope in the coming  weeks we will see Quitongo and Coulibaly  fully fit.

I ran out of likes this early in the morning.

On paper we've some smashin strikers. We need to find a system that provides chances that will allow these guys to start scoring. If we don't create they won't score. Spot on auld jag, Doolan is still a great player and should be up with shankland in this division.

I'l arguing with myself here cos earlier i said drop everyone (act of frustrated petulance) but dobwe persevere with dools, or move on and leave him to fight for his place.......again. strikers are all about confidence as we all know so how does the manager manage his confidence.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:35 AM, Auld Jag said:

I agree with you but from what i've seen and hear from/about the gaffer so far, does not suggest he's the type of character to go aaking anyone for advice and guidance which is sometimes a persons downfall. Comes across as very............. confident?