The Gaffer

On 11/1/2018 at 7:38 AM, Thistleberight said:

I ran out of likes this early in the morning.

On paper we've some smashin strikers. We need to find a system that provides chances that will allow these guys to start scoring. If we don't create they won't score. Spot on auld jag, Doolan is still a great player and should be up with shankland in this division.

I'l arguing with myself here cos earlier i said drop everyone (act of frustrated petulance) but dobwe persevere with dools, or move on and leave him to fight for his place.......again. strikers are all about confidence as we all know so how does the manager manage his confidence.

Shankland is a much better striker than Doolan. 

When he was announced as manager there was a fair amount of patter about him having traveled all over the UK seeking out advice re football management.

If his post match interviews are anything to go by, phoning John Hughes could be costly. Gary would likely use up his monthly calling allowance on the one phone call and still learn hee haw. 

9 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

Shankland has had a good season in the 3rd tier of Scottish football and a very good start to this season.But to say he is better than Doolan who has done it in the 2nd tier and top tier for nearly a decade is imo wrong.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

Absolute nonsense, Shankland couldn’t cut it at Aberdeen, Doolan has proved it time after time at a much higher level , scored against every Premier League club , his record of 110 goals in 300 odd appearance is remarkable considering the safety first tactics of Alan Archibald.

Not sure if Shankland will ever reach that level 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Col said:

Well, Caldwell needs to step up to the plate and deliver a positive attacking style of football and not the same old shite that Archibald has served up in his last 18 months.

c’mon the Jags!!

After what we’ve seen in his first 2 games , think he’s went to the same coaching school as Archie, sitting midfield players etc , we need runners in midfield to open things up and link with the forwards , what happened to pressing teams into mistakes , defence needs to be 10 yards up the park instead of inviting teams onto us , hopefully we see a big improvement today and get the confidence back into the team.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Absolute nonsense, Shankland couldn’t cut it at Aberdeen, Doolan has proved it time after time at a much higher level , scored against every Premier League club , his record of 110 goals in 300 odd appearance is remarkable considering the safety first tactics of Alan Archibald.

Not sure if Shankland will ever reach that level 

Shankland is a different player now than he was at Aberdeen. 

Top striker that should go on a play at a bigger club than doolan. 

Edited by Alan Murray
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Shankland is a different player now than he was at Aberdeen. 

Top striker that should go on a play at a bigger club than doolan. 

Lots of players have went down South and played with bigger Clubs , not many have made it Stevie May etc , to score goals at the level Doolan has over the last 10 years playing for PTFC is a remarkable achievement, not sure if Shankland is at that level but I’m sure someone will take a chance on him. Is playing for a bigger Club a benchmark for a players achievements in the game ?

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Lots of players have went down South and played with bigger Clubs , not many have made it Stevie May etc , to score goals at the level Doolan has over the last 10 years playing for PTFC is a remarkable achievement, not sure if Shankland is at that level but I’m sure someone will take a chance on him. Is playing for a bigger Club a benchmark for a players achievements in the game ?

Ran out of likes. Consider  yourself liked jlsarmy.:fan:

Can't believe how poor a choice the board made in picking Caldwell. The Chesterfield fans were spot on. Did we ask Chesterfield for a reference? Did we find out why it didn't work out there? If so what was different about our post that was going to make him successful here and not there? Did we do due dilligence?

Caldwell needs to go and we need a professional chief exec not just an ex-player who can do paperwork. 

A lot of blame is still being put upon Alan Archibald, regarding the state of the current playing squad. Archie's gone, but it's well worth remembering that he got 3 league wins out of this squad, before his departure.

Also worth remembering that Archie was thrown in at the deep end as a current player, who as a rookie manager,  picked up the pieces and led us with some style to become champions. He then kept us up for 4 years on a limited budget and with no director of football holding his hand. At the end of last season it was very obvious that Archie and Shaggy were  totally burnt out. They had given everything they had to give. And at the end of the day that's all you can ask of anyone. Isn't it?

I don't trust the judgement of the people who are running our club. I don't believe the owners, the chairperson or the chief executive are up to the task. They seem to be playing at running a football club.

The problem is at the top. It all comes from the top.

The good ship Thistle is presently rudderless, taking in water, has a mutinous crew and is fast approaching the rocks.

Our club deserves better than this. Much better.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, laukat said:

Can't believe how poor a choice the board made in picking Caldwell. The Chesterfield fans were spot on. Did we ask Chesterfield for a reference? Did we find out why it didn't work out there? If so what was different about our post that was going to make him successful here and not there? Did we do due dilligence?

Caldwell needs to go and we need a professional chief exec not just an ex-player who can do paperwork. 

It seems Jacqui low and co may have fell for the " talks a good game interview'' as I read somewhere that they were blown away by his presentation. I hope this is not the case and the appointment  of Caldwell brings the club success.  By the way, McCall was my pick laukat. 

You can't blame Alan Archibald for who Caldwell selected today. Other options were available

You can't blame Alan Archibald for what Caldwell did at halftime today. Sensible options were available

You can't blame Alan Archibald for the board choosing Caldwell. Better managerial options were available

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mulguy jag said:

By the way, McCall was my pick laukat. 

He was mine as well but second choice was Goodwin. Off the top of my head I would have had any of the following in front of Caldwell

McCall, Goodwin, McIntyre, Pressley, Duffy, Hughes, Canning, Adams, Coyle, Lennon, Stubbs

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

A lot of blame is still being put upon Alan Archibald, regarding the state of the current playing squad. Archie's gone, but it's well worth remembering that he got 3 league wins out of this squad, before his departure.

Also worth remembering that Archie was thrown in at the deep end as a current player, who as a rookie manager,  picked up the pieces and led us with some style to become champions. He then kept us up for 4 years on a limited budget and with no director of football holding his hand. At the end of last season it was very obvious that Archie and Shaggy were  totally burnt out. They had given everything they had to give. And at the end of the day that's all you can ask of anyone. Isn't it?

I don't trust the judgement of the people who are running our club. I don't believe the owners, the chairperson or the chief executive are up to the task. They seem to be playing at running a football club.

The problem is at the top. It all comes from the top.

The good ship Thistle is presently rudderless, taking in water, has a mutinous crew and is fast approaching the rocks.

Our club deserves better than this. Much better.

Maybe we should have hired Jack Sparrow.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, laukat said:

He was mine as well but second choice was Goodwin. Off the top of my head I would have had any of the following in front of Caldwell

McCall, Goodwin, McIntyre, Pressley, Duffy, Hughes, Canning, Adams, Coyle, Lennon, Stubbs

Would have had Goodwin any day over GC.  Reckon Minnie Caldwell could have done a better job so far..