The Gaffer

50 minutes ago, Hankey said:

Who was the manager when we got relegated? Who signed all these players?  Who was the manager when we were playing games with 4 subs? Who was the manager when we were losing to shite like East Fife? Who was the manager who also was winless in his away games?

Some people are more invested in Archie than the club. It's pathetic. Caldwell has had a rancid start, but yet people can't overlook how hard done by poor wee Alan Archibald was and have suddenly forgotten just how shite we had been for 18 months.

That would be archie that's what I mean lot of people on here still blaming him from what I have seen gary caldwell is a ***** only 3 games but it's getting worrying now 

1 hour ago, lefty1876 said:

Archie archie archie all you get out the haters everything still archies fault the board get a manager that is a dick 11 players running about aimlessly archies fault caldwell tactics are wrong archies fault ridiculous training exercises before the game kicks off archies fault dugout change archies fault lose 3 games in a row with gutless performances archies fault gary caldwell gets us relegated  archies fault pmsl couldn't make this shite up 

Can't argue with this.

Say what you like about Archie, if he was still in charge we would be picking up points. We wouldn't be looking like near certainties for bottom place.

5 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

Can't argue with this.

Say what you like about Archie, if he was still in charge we would be picking up points. We wouldn't be looking like near certainties for bottom place.

Delusional .... every player we have was hand picked by Archie - who if u remember got us relegated - it’s been shit for 18 months and we all thought a new manager might get us back in track but we are rank...

you gave Archie 18 mo this so u can give Gary 18 weeks 

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End said:

Can you say that for certainty?

No not 100% certain.

However, I believe Ray McKinnon will turn Falkirk around and Jim Goodwin will improve Alloa as the season rolls on.

Gary Caldwell has a very poor managerial record. The omens are not good.

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Delusional .... every player we have was hand picked by Archie - who if u remember got us relegated - it’s been shit for 18 months and we all thought a new manager might get us back in track but we are rank...

you gave Archie 18 mo this so u can give Gary 18 weeks 

I thought Archie should have left at the end of last season and we should have got Ian McCall or Jim Goodwin in. I would now go for Jim Goodwin as a matter of urgency.

Archie won 3 league games with this squad this season. Caldwell has won 0. These are facts, our club is in free fall.

I wouldn't of touched Caldwell with a barge poll in the first instance and you're the one that's deluded if you believe he is going to turn this around.

41 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

I thought Archie should have left at the end of last season and we should have got Ian McCall or Jim Goodwin in. I would now go for Jim Goodwin as a matter of urgency.

Archie won 3 league games with this squad this season. Caldwell has won 0. These are facts, our club is in free fall.

I wouldn't of touched Caldwell with a barge poll in the first instance and you're the one that's deluded if you believe he is going to turn this around.

I made no comment on Caldwell other than it would not be unreasonable to give him more time than three games as Archie was given 18 months even as things got worse and worse .....

caldwell has the burden of inheriting as bad a team we have had for a long time though possibly the most expensive shit squad in the clubs history .....

lets see where we are before Xmas 

2 hours ago, lefty1876 said:

Aww wits up pal day you no like it back its no ma fault its archies ya nob put your dummy back in thickest posters are the ones that want to give this dick more time a take it u were not at the game yesterday archie got caldwells tactics all wrong ya fool 

For someone that never posted in the whole time since Archie was employed (The  exact same period as when you joined the forum) your suddenly very vocal on Caldwell, never posted a peep on anything, any result, any performance yet 5 years after activating your account your callling the new manager all the names under the sun. 

Almost as if you weren’t allowed to post till recently 

16 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

For someone that never posted in the whole time since Archie was employed (The  exact same period as when you joined the forum) your suddenly very vocal on Caldwell, never posted a peep on anything, any result, any performance yet 5 years after activating your account your callling the new manager all the names under the sun. 

Almost as if you weren’t allowed to post till recently 

Just like to read the forum just couldn't listen to anymore shite. Anyone who has seen the 3 games he was in charge of is deluded if they can't see what is happening we are going down. He has to go now before it's to late

34 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I made no comment on Caldwell other than it would not be unreasonable to give him more time than three games as Archie was given 18 months even as things got worse and worse .....

caldwell has the burden of inheriting as bad a team we have had for a long time though possibly the most expensive shit squad in the clubs history .....

lets see where we are before Xmas 

Fair enough Javeajag. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and your position is both reasonable and fair in wanting to give Gary Caldwell more time.

I don't believe we have the best squad of all time, nor do I believe it is our worst. I would say we have an a very unbalanced squad with some good, bad and indifferent players. A good manager will get the best out of the players available and a great manager will get them to play well above themselves, crafting a strong unit far greater than the sum of its parts.

I have little confidence in Gary Calwell's managerial abilities. I also have little confidence in the people running our club, I would go as far to say that they're currently running the club into the ground.

I hope I am wrong Javeajag, I really do.

4 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

If the story that we are paying Archibald until May 2019 and Caldwell has a contract for 2 years which we would have to honour where does all the money come from to pay. On top of that we would need a new manager plus at least 6 players. Which one of you has won the lottery.

Mmmmmm.........now that's a tricky one :)

NINTCHDBPICT000004874196.jpg

Is anyone seriously suggesting that punting Archibald wasn't the correct thing to do? Is anyone seriously suggesting that the squad Archibald put together doesn't have big problems? Is anyone seriously suggesting that we should bring back Archie?

I think the answer to the above 3 questions is no and we all agree its no. It doesn't really matter who did or didn't support Archie, he's gone and he's the past.

The question for the present and future is more having seen Caldwell is he the right man to take us forward in the situation we are in and when you add in that there is very small window of time to save us from relegation? Do we trust him to get points between now and the transfer window? Do we trust him to get in right in the transfer window?

My answer to those 3 is no. Others may disagree and thats fine its a fan forum where everyone's opinion carries the same weight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

If the story that we are paying Archibald until May 2019 and Caldwell has a contract for 2 years which we would have to honour where does all the money come from to pay. On top of that we would need a new manager plus at least 6 players. Which one of you has won the lottery.

You are right. What a total waste of money, that's the problem is it not? The people running our club haven't got a clue, they couldn't run a bath and would struggle to pick their nose never mind a good manager.

This isn't going to end well.

1 minute ago, laukat said:

Is anyone seriously suggesting that punting Archibald wasn't the correct thing to do? Is anyone seriously suggesting that the squad Archibald put together doesn't have big problems? Is anyone seriously suggesting that we should bring back Archie?

I think the answer to the above 3 questions is no and we all agree its no. It doesn't really matter who did or didn't support Archie, he's gone and he's the past.

The question for the present and future is more having seen Caldwell is he the right man to take us forward in the situation we are in and when you add in that there is very small window of time to save us from relegation? Do we trust him to get points between now and the transfer window? Do we trust him to get in right in the transfer window?

My answer to those 3 is no. Others may disagree and thats fine its a fan forum where everyone's opinion carries the same weight.

No Archie had to go. The problem is that Gary Caldwell is a poorer manager than Archie.

A good manager improves players, finds a formula that suits the players, and makes you hard to beat.

This has not happened yet. I will give him a little more time to improve before I call for his head. We have had the benefit if watching the team slide for the last 18 month, so we know who is underachieving.

A team of our size can not afford to make dramatic changes in January, I can not see us signing more than three players. This means we need 8 of our existing team to form the core of a good team.

We have some good players, however have had at least six players per  game missing in action. 

My core of the team would be

Sneddon

Elliot (based on our successful years)

Penrice 

Bannigan

McCarthy 

Ntambwe (based on his physique  and getting better as his match fitness improves)

Dolan (you do not become a bad player over night)

Quitongo 

1 hour ago, laukat said:

I actually agree with you to a point, currently I’ve not seen anything that categorically shows that Caldwell can turn this around, but he’s been 3 weeks in the job, taken over a team and squad that is used to getting beat, used to playing crap and to be honest the apathy around the club in recent months adds to this. Trying to turn that around is going to be very difficult especially as he can’t bring in new players.

Lets remember Archie was given more than a year with 2 transfer windows to fix his own mess.

He seems to have tried the positives to encourage after his 1st two games, never worked. He’s now trying the aggressive mentality stating players will be out a job, I don’t see what else he can do. His job is also on the line.

If performances, fitness, fight and hopefully results don’t change in next 4-5 games then this task may be too big for him and maybe a blood and thunder old school manager is needed just to save us.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

No likes left.

This is spot on.

We need to leave Archie in the past so that people can properly discuss/debate the merits and demerits of Gary Caldwell.

We have two of the poorest teams in the division back to back in December at home - Dunfermline and Alloa - I think if we have not shown some progress by those games we should not be wasting a window on Caldwell - however the Board have made such a fuss over him, its hard to see how they can climb down, let alone how we pay for another sacking.

1 hour ago, dunnikierjag said:

If the story that we are paying Archibald until May 2019 

What story? Archibald was on a contract as just about every manager. I thought he might be on a year's revolving contract. If it's only a contract till the end of the season surely it's us that have won a coconut?

I am struggling to know when the right time to have sacked Archie was and whether it would really have made a difference to our situation now.

Folk have said that we have been poor for 18 months, which is true.

But a chunk of that was just after we got into top 6. 

Nobody can really say we could have sacked him then.

We had a bad start last season, so maybe after the 1st round of games ? 

But, as we see season after season, changing manager after a bad start very seldom makes a difference. 

As the season progressed, there was still the chance almost right up to the end that we could have survived. As has been pointed we failed to avoid the playoff by 1 point.

So, it seems to me that the only logical time was after the Livingston games. Failure to do that was the Boards, as was allowing the extent of the clear out. But maybe not having an experienced CEO contributed to that decision.

49 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

If performances, fitness, fight and hopefully results don’t change in next 4-5 games then this task may be too big for him and maybe a blood and thunder old school manager is needed just to save us.

That timeline is probably a reasonable decision point. I just hope the board and our chief exec are clear that they have a decision to make in that time. The transfer window is last chance saloon so the manager at that point needs to be someone the board and chief exec are willing to bet their positions on.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

I actually agree with you to a point, currently I’ve not seen anything that categorically shows that Caldwell can turn this around, but he’s been 3 weeks in the job, taken over a team and squad that is used to getting beat, used to playing crap and to be honest the apathy around the club in recent months adds to this. Trying to turn that around is going to be very difficult especially as he can’t bring in new players.

Lets remember Archie was given more than a year with 2 transfer windows to fix his own mess.

He seems to have tried the positives to encourage after his 1st two games, never worked. He’s now trying the aggressive mentality stating players will be out a job, I don’t see what else he can do. His job is also on the line.

Agree. When he took over Chesterfield they were struggling and he wasn't able to turn it around. As I have said before if he fails with us I cant see him getting a job as a manager at any other club at a good level.