The Gaffer

40 minutes ago, laukat said:

He was mine as well but second choice was Goodwin. Off the top of my head I would have had any of the following in front of Caldwell

McCall, Goodwin, McIntyre, Pressley, Duffy, Hughes, Canning, Adams, Coyle, Lennon, Stubbs

McIntyre hasn’t turned Dundee round or given them a new manager bounce either 

47 minutes ago, laukat said:

You can't blame Alan Archibald for who Caldwell selected today. Other options were available

You can't blame Alan Archibald for what Caldwell did at halftime today. Sensible options were available

You can't blame Alan Archibald for the board choosing Caldwell. Better managerial options were available

You can blame Archie for signing some of these useless players though and for given guys clearly not up to it like mcginty as long as a 2 year deal 

There's no doubt that Caldwell has been left a poor squad in defence however why he felt that he needed to put all chips on red at the start of the second half today is baffling to me. I personally think McGinty is one of the poorest defenders to put on the red and yellow for many a year but to replace him with Elliot is an incredible decision when you have no options but when one is on the bench is unbelievable.

The board need to realise they have made a mistake and get rid of this clown before we are playing to less than a 1000 and a laughing stock. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

McIntyre hasn’t turned Dundee round or given them a new manager bounce either 

True however he was adaft appointment for Dundee as he and Dodds are a management team and the Dundee fans wouldn't accept Dodds. We could have appointed him without that restraint and he is a proven manager at this level. Caldwell on the other hand has nothing on his record suggesting he can turn a team around a failing team without spending big. Simply put we are more like Chesterfield than Wigan so what made us think Caldwell was the answer?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, laukat said:

True however he was adaft appointment for Dundee as he and Dodds are a management team and the Dundee fans wouldn't accept Dodds. We could have appointed him without that restraint and he is a proven manager at this level. Caldwell on the other hand has nothing on his record suggesting he can turn a team around a failing team without spending big. Simply put we are more like Chesterfield than Wigan so what made us think Caldwell was the answer?

Agree.

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

You can blame Archie for signing some of these useless players though and for given guys clearly not up to it like mcginty as long as a 2 year deal 

That wasn't the problem today. Today his starting choice and formation exposed our weaknesses and his halftime changes were incompetent.

If he thought Fitzpatrick and McCarthy were the answers why not start them? Why send McCarthy into a position he has never played? Why send Fitzptrick on when the game is lost? His post match comments are nonsencial ars* covering. He should have been honest enough to say he got it badly wrong

Also the club made a song and dance on how much research he had done on our players so he knew what he was getting. If he didn't like it he could have insisted on being able to sign a couple of unsigned players to steady the ship or refused the post. Blaming the playing squad you inherit is a poor excuse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Caldwell is clearly raging in the post match interview and is clear that it's players like Andy and Aiden he wants. Whether he can get rid of the players in the team who aren't good enough is another thing. 

Let's see if he means that, Aiden probably wouldn't even be in the squad never mind starting if others were fit. Andy has been available for most games yet gets flung on as a right back. Both deserve better and I don't think this charlatan will live up to his post match bluster.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, laukat said:

That wasn't the problem today. Today his starting choice and formation exposed our weaknesses and his halftime changes were incompetent.

If he thought Fitzpatrick and McCarthy were the answers why not start them? Why send McCarthy into a position he has never played? Why send Fitzptrick on when the game is lost? His post match comments are nonsencial ars* covering. He should have been honest enough to say he got it badly wrong

Also the club made a song and dance on how much research he had done on our players so he knew what he was getting. If he didn't like it he could have insisted on being able to sign a couple of unsigned players to steady the ship or refused the post. Blaming the playing squad you inherit is a poor excuse.

The playing squad is a part of the problem bar a couple I don’t think I’d be sorry to see them released 

15 minutes ago, Metz said:

There's no doubt that Caldwell has been left a poor squad in defence however why he felt that he needed to put all chips on red at the start of the second half today is baffling to me. I personally think McGinty is one of the poorest defenders to put on the red and yellow for many a year but to replace him with Elliot is an incredible decision when you have no options but when one is on the bench is unbelievable.

The board need to realise they have made a mistake and get rid of this clown before we are playing to less than a 1000 and a laughing stock. 

If we are left playing with less than a 1000 fans then Britton and low need to take a section of the blame too

His half time changes played THREE players out of their natural positions. 

Keown to left sided centre back. 

Elliot to right sided centre back. 

Mccarthy to right back. 

An absolutely baffling decision  and one that had exactly the expected outcome   A ball bundled in at the right back back post, and an Elliot mistake at centre back  

I have not yet felt any pride in having Caldwell as our manager nor any admiration of him   In fact he is first manager I recall disliking from day one  it’s irrational  but he’s doing nothing  to win me over  

how the board could be blown away by this guy astounds me  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jaf said:

Mccarthy to right back. 

An absolutely baffling decision  and one that had exactly the expected outcome   A ball bundled in at the right back back post, and an Elliot mistake at centre back  

I have not yet felt any pride in having Caldwell as our manager nor any admiration of him   In fact he is first manager I recall disliking from day one  it’s irrational  but he’s doing nothing  to win me over  

The half time decisions were baffling however if that joke of a keeper was anywhere near competent the 3rd and possibly 2nd goal would be avoidable. Sneddon must start next week regardless of other changes.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

The playing squad is a part of the problem bar a couple I don’t think I’d be sorry to see them released 

I don't disagree that the playing squad isn't great however they will be what we have for most of the season. I woudl gladly see the back of most of them and if Blair Spittal needs a lift to his new club I'll do it for free.

However anyone who thinks we are going to let go of a team and replace it all in January are living in a fantasy world. We are reliant on this squad to keep us in the division. Caldwells job is to improve the playing squad and get results.

47 minutes ago, Metz said:

Left with a poor squad? They are garbage and spineless not just poor- Archie has to take a large share of the blame for the players that have been signed 

4 minutes ago, laukat said:

I don't disagree that the playing squad isn't great however they will be what we have for most of the season. I woudl gladly see the back of most of them and if Blair Spittal needs a lift to his new club I'll do it for free.

However anyone who thinks we are going to let go of a team and replace it all in January are living in a fantasy world. We are reliant on this squad to keep us in the division. Caldwells job is to improve the playing squad and get results.

You do disagree then you are saying they aren’t great I am saying bar a couple of exceptions they are utterly crap 

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

You do disagree then you are saying they aren’t great I am saying bar a couple of exceptions they are utterly crap 

Of our current playing squad  I would keep the following into next season assuming we stay up.

Bell, Penrice, McCarthy, Bannigan, Fitzpatrick, O'Ware, Quitongo, Doolan, Erskine, Slater and Sneddon.

I'm undecided on Brice and McGinty. I've not seen enough of Coulibally.

Doesn't mean they are great players just players that under the right management should be capable at this level.

12 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Left with a poor squad? They are garbage and spineless not just poor- Archie has to take a large share of the blame for the players that have been signed 

The spineless bit comes from within. Only person to blame for that is ********* cruising to another doing.

I have nothing against Gary Caldwell he's probably a decent enough chap, but I really don't rate him as a football manager. I felt really down heartened when the club appointed him.

From top to bottom we're as soft as a feather. We are a joke.

Let's be honest; we should of hired Jim Goodwin. He would have sorted it out :thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Of our current playing squad  I would keep the following into next season assuming we stay up.

Bell, Penrice, McCarthy, Bannigan, Fitzpatrick, O'Ware, Quitongo, Doolan, Erskine, Slater and Sneddon.

I'm undecided on Brice and McGinty. I've not seen enough of Coulibally.

Doesn't mean they are great players just players that under the right management should be capable at this level.

Agree with your keeping list. Apart from Bell. 

History will tell us that there are certain managers that didn't/ don't belong at our club, Bryce, Campbell, Collins, Whyte/Brittain, McLeod,  Clark and now Caldwell. Let history guide the board and go for McCall before this clown gets too long and turns more fans off.

3 hours ago, jaf said:

Mccarthy to right back. 

Further to this why was Scobbie on the bench? To cover for one player?

Btw I very much doubt the half time re-jig had any effect on the end result. Losing two goals in the first half despite us having the advantage of playing behind a howling gale more or less sealed it.