The Gaffer

If,and it’s a big if,GC survives to the January window,then it’s reasonable to assume he will a better knowledge of players available in the English leagues than Archie.However I have the feeling that Archie seldom managed to get his first picks and ended up with 2 nd best rather than nobody.

Same could happen to GC.

3 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Fair enough Javeajag. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and your position is both reasonable and fair in wanting to give Gary Caldwell more time.

I don't believe we have the best squad of all time, nor do I believe it is our worst. I would say we have an a very unbalanced squad with some good, bad and indifferent players. A good manager will get the best out of the players available and a great manager will get them to play well above themselves, crafting a strong unit far greater than the sum of its parts.

I have little confidence in Gary Calwell's managerial abilities. I also have little confidence in the people running our club, I would go as far to say that they're currently running the club into the ground.

I hope I am wrong Javeajag, I really do.

So do I .... you can’t sack a manager after 3 games as that would become the measure for the next one but you can after three months if results are poor .... let’s agree the squad is poor and that’s Archie’s fault and if Caldwell is any good he will get them to mid table by Xmas 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, javeajag said:

So do I .... you can’t sack a manager after 3 games as that would become the measure for the next one but you can after three months if results are poor .... let’s agree the squad is poor and that’s Archie’s fault and if Caldwell is any good he will get them to mid table by Xmas 

Why we sacked archie after 7 games. Stopped being archie's fault when caldwell took over. The board never invested in team then gave the job to this idiot .

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lefty1876 said:

Why we sacked archie after 7 games. Stopped being archie's fault when caldwell took over. The board never invested in team then gave the job to this idiot .

We didn't sack Archie after 7 games. We sacked him after 18 months of underperforming. After sacking him the board had to get the right guy in. Its only 3 games into Caldwells tenure and so far it has been uninspiring . I agree with Norge Thistle who said we have to wait to see where we are in 4/5 games time. Things have to improve.

36 minutes ago, lefty1876 said:

We sacked Archie after 18 months if misery taking us from 6th in the premiership to 6th in the championship with a squad of dolts .., super achievement 

Who in our league is investing £2m in their playing squad as we are ? Clue it’s not Ayr 

Archie literally wasted millions 

6 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

We didn't sack Archie after 7 games. We sacked him after 18 months of underperforming. After sacking him the board had to get the right guy in. Its only 3 games into Caldwells tenure and so far it has been uninspiring . I agree with Norge Thistle who said we have to wait to see where we are in 4/5 games time. Things have to improve.

Anyone who has been to all 3 of his games must be able to see he is clueless. And archie got sacked after 7 games . Not 18 months of underachieving . The board admits it never invested in the team joint lowest budget with hamilton . Won the league kept us there for five season's and he is underachieving what more do u want . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lefty1876 said:

Anyone who has been to all 3 of his games must be able to see he is clueless. And archie got sacked after 7 games . Not 18 months of underachieving . The board admits it never invested in the team joint lowest budget with hamilton . Won the league kept us there for five season's and he is underachieving what more do u want . 

I said underachieved for 18months. Before that he done a very good job. If you read my post I said Caldwell has so far been uninspiring and if he has not improved things in the next 4/5games it looks like the board has made a mistake hiring him. So going back to your original gripe that would also give him 7/8 games to get it right with a squad  he didn't build. We got beat in the play off by a team who had budgeted to finish 8th in the championship,so your point about same budget as Hamilton is pointless.

11 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I said underachieved for 18months. Before that he done a very good job. If you read my post I said Caldwell has so far been uninspiring and if he has not improved things in the next 4/5games it looks like the board has made a mistake hiring him. So going back to your original gripe that would also give him 7/8 games to get it right with a squad  he didn't build. We got beat in the play off by a team who had budgeted to finish 8th in the championship,so your point about same budget as Hamilton is pointless.

11 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Sweet jesus he missed staying up by 1 point .my gripe is a lot of people on here still blaming archie. Mostly the ones that wanted him sacked . We have f**ked up he has to go now we wait another 5 games were doomed 

21 minutes ago, lefty1876 said:

Sweet jesus he missed staying up by 1 point .my gripe is a lot of people on here still blaming archie. Mostly the ones that wanted him sacked . We have f**ked up he has to go now we wait another 5 games were doomed 

We got another chance to stay up in the play off. Lost both games to a team who budgeted to finish 8th in the championship. You cant bin a manager after 3 games even though as I say it has been uninspiring so far. I am not blaming Archie for what has gone on in the last 3 games, as Caldwell said he analysed our squad. So he had an idea what he was going to have to work with if he got the job.

Edited by Auld Jag

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Fair enough.

I must admit, although Caldwell has done nothing to show anything different so far I really hope he can turn it around.

Truth be told the biggest mistake made in the summer was us cutting our Youth team players. Nisbet & McLaughlin would walk into this team and are better than what we have. The others the jury would still be out but they cant be worse! Its time to stop spending money on this english guff from their Conference leagues and concentrate on Homegrown talent. 

I’d love to see Gary stick to his guns with what he said in his interview. Lets see more hungry youngsters and less of the same duds every week.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stuart_adam said:

I must admit, although Caldwell has done nothing to show anything different so far I really hope he can turn it around.

Truth be told the biggest mistake made in the summer was us cutting our Youth team players. Nisbet & McLaughlin would walk into this team and are better than what we have. The others the jury would still be out but they cant be worse! Its time to stop spending money on this english guff from their Conference leagues and concentrate on Homegrown talent. 

I’d love to see Gary stick to his guns with what he said in his interview. Lets see more hungry youngsters and less of the same duds every week.

Very much agree with this.

51 minutes ago, lefty1876 said:

Anyone who has been to all 3 of his games must be able to see he is clueless. And archie got sacked after 7 games . Not 18 months of underachieving . The board admits it never invested in the team joint lowest budget with hamilton . Won the league kept us there for five season's and he is underachieving what more do u want 

lefty, I've been to all three games (sadly) and you're jumping the gun somewhat. I'll put it this way, Caldwell hasn't shown any signs over these three games that he has much of a clue. That's different from just calling the guy clueless. In any managerial job you need time to prove your worth and a month or three games is clearly an insufficient period.  Alarming to a point that we haven't seen positive change but to put all the blame on the manager and none on the players he inherited would be naive.

I'd suggest that Archie was sacked as it became clear to the Board that he was showing no signs that he could turn things around. Many would say it eventually became clear to the Board. Regardless if you accept that or not it's often the case that change trigger a change in fortune. It's clearly not happening this time but that doesn't mean that sacking Archie was wrong. Just because the signs so far aren't there, neither does it mean we've picked the wrong guy to replace him. Fingers crossed, eh?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

lefty, I've been to all three games (sadly) and you're jumping the gun somewhat. I'll put it this way, Caldwell hasn't shown any signs over these three games that he has much of a clue. That's different from just calling the guy clueless. In any managerial job you need time to prove your worth and a month or three games is clearly an insufficient period.  Alarming to a point that we haven't seen positive change but to put all the blame on the manager and none on the players he inherited would be naive.

I'd suggest that Archie was sacked as it became clear to the Board that he was showing no signs that he could turn things around. Many would say it eventually became clear to the Board. Regardless if you accept that or not it's often the case that change triggers a change in fortune. It's clearly not happening this time but that doesn't mean that sacking Archie was wrong. Just because the signs so far aren't there, neither does it mean we've picked the wrong guy to replace him. Fingers crossed, eh?  

1 hour ago, stuart_adam said:

Kevin Nisbet 13 goals in 16 games for Raith Rovers this season. That is an amazing transformation.

Could Knightswood Jag drive to Kirkcaldy and bring Kevin back?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Kevin Nisbet 13 goals in 16 games for Raith Rovers this season. That is an amazing transformation.

Could Knightswood Jag drive to Kirkcaldy and bring Kevin back?

He just won player of the month for October as well. Different level of course but it was Shankland's goals in that division that had everybody wetting their pants over him, despite his poor spells at previous clubs.

Nisbet is a good young striker. Whether he can play at a higher level or not is another matter. I always liked him but unsure if lack of pace would hinder him stepping up.

Heard KJ has had to turn back at Kincardine most weeks upon hearing the team news.

I get that people are angry and frustrated - there's been nothing to cheer about for a year or more - but....

Caldwell can only play the players in the current squad. That's the same players who produced the results that resulted in Alan Archibald being sacked. He's tried to get the defence - one of the worst in the league - to play more cohesively. There's been some small improvement, but Saturday showed that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Who else can he select from that squad for the defence? Melbourne is no improvement on Penrice. Scobbie's hardly played in months and seems to be nursing an injury. Jeffries - remember him? - is an untried youth player from Dundee, who seems to have disappeared from the scene. He's stuck with these players until January.

That he took McGinty off at half time is, I think, really significant - his comments after the game show that he felt that we weren't competing for the ball in our own box and, presumably, he felt that McGinty wasn't delivering. It almost certainly cost us the game, but the message to the players is crystal clear. Seems to me that Caldwell is playing a longer game - he needs to assess what he's got in this squad before January. And every player in the squad needs to know that they're playing for their contract.

Is Caldwell a good manager? I've no idea. And neither does anyone else at this point. He cannot be judged on the basis of three games, nor on another four or five. The board will give him the season and so they should. Fans are totally pissed off at the moment and they have every right to be, but it's going to be brutal before it gets better.

For me, he should stick with Sneddon, Penrice, McCarthy, Bannigan, Fitzpatrick and Coulibally, the rest should be moved on or considered squad players at best.

It is, as they say, going to be a long season.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, stuart_adam said:

It is hard to say whether letting these 2 in particular was a mistake. In the few times I saw Nisbet I wasn’t impressed. Maybe the premier league was too high a level for him and his level is League 1?

I can’t comment on McLaughlin as I don’t remember seeing him play.

I think that letting so many players go in the summer meant that it was too a big a job to put together a squad 

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

As far as I can remember when Nisbet went out on loan he never did anything great. Could be he is like Shankland and got a manager who is getting much more out of him than other managers could.

Precisely what Caldwell needs to do with our squad... get more out of them...   Quite how he does that with the worst defence in the league and having publicly criticised one of his only two centre backs remains to be seen. Can he play McGintyI again? If not who will play in his position for the next two months? Can Scobie? Melbourne? Penrice? Or the invisible man Jeffries? Amazing how the absence of one player, O'Ware, can have such an impact on results.

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

I get that people are angry and frustrated - there's been nothing to cheer about for a year or more - but....

Caldwell can only play the players in the current squad. That's the same players who produced the results that resulted in Alan Archibald being sacked. He's tried to get the defence - one of the worst in the league - to play more cohesively. There's been some small improvement, but Saturday showed that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Who else can he select from that squad for the defence? Melbourne is no improvement on Penrice. Scobbie's hardly played in months and seems to be nursing an injury. Jeffries - remember him? - is an untried youth player from Dundee, who seems to have disappeared from the scene. He's stuck with these players until January.

That he took McGinty off at half time is, I think, really significant - his comments after the game show that he felt that we weren't competing for the ball in our own box and, presumably, he felt that McGinty wasn't delivering. It almost certainly cost us the game, but the message to the players is crystal clear. Seems to me that Caldwell is playing a longer game - he needs to assess what he's got in this squad before January. And every player in the squad needs to know that they're playing for their contract.

Is Caldwell a good manager? I've no idea. And neither does anyone else at this point. He cannot be judged on the basis of three games, nor on another four or five. The board will give him the season and so they should. Fans are totally pissed off at the moment and they have every right to be, but it's going to be brutal before it gets better.

For me, he should stick with Sneddon, Penrice, McCarthy, Bannigan, Fitzpatrick and Coulibally, the rest should be moved on or considered squad players at best.

It is, as they say, going to be a long season.

You're talking way too much sense there Firhillista. 

21 hours ago, lefty1876 said:

Wasn’t joint lowest with Hamilton. He clearly wasn’t sacked after just 7 games at the very least 18 months of going downhill, failure to have turned up at the playoffs and then relegation would have been taken into account.

as for no longer Archie’s responsibility with the players  - but whoever the new manager appointed he can’t be blamed presently on having signed those players 

8 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I’m impressed that some people think that another manager could turn this squad into promotion candidates after 2 or 3 games.......

guardiola would struggle with this lot 

He would but I’m sure he wouldn’t play the same system , possession football with absolutely no cutting edge as the previous incumbent which led to relegation last year . 

Think the fans would accept some defeats if they could see a different system, maybe a pressing game higher up the park , getting a box to box midfield player to make things happen and support the forward/ s

Think over the last 3 games we’ve created about 5 chances if you’re lucky which tells a tale with regards to how many goals we’ve scored all season, unfortunately it looks as he’s been reading the Alan Archibald coaching manual.

Hopefully he can change it but I’m not so sure