Who is to blame

Auld Jag

I am sure not many of us would have expected to be in the position we currently find ourselves in. So who is to blame.The board for not sacking the previous management team sooner? The previous management team for leaving us with such a bad squad? Caldwell for not being able to turn the team around? I know he has only had 3 games but he doesn't seem to improved anything since we have lost the 3 games , scored 1 and lost 7 goals. The board again for not getting the right manager in after sacking Archibald and Paterson ? Morton lost 5-0 last week and since then have played 2 games and won them both. Can we bounce back in a similar fashion ?

5 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I am sure not many of us would have expected to be in the position we currently find ourselves in. So who is to blame.The board for not sacking the previous management team sooner? The previous management team for leaving us with such a bad squad? Caldwell for not being able to turn the team around? I know he has only had 3 games but he doesn't seem to improved anything since we have lost the 3 games , scored 1 and lost 7 goals. The board again for not getting the right manager in after sacking Archibald and Paterson ? Morton lost 5-0 last week and since then have played 2 games and won them both. Can we bounce back in a similar fashion ?

Quite very probably all of those mentioned- Caldwell gets some blame now for not turning it round but a smaller allowance than the board and Archie and Paterson. Also add in the players they aren’t wee lambs - someone like bell is supposed to be a good goalkeeper- he has been an unfit disgrace 

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Quite very probably all of those mentioned- Caldwell gets some blame now for not turning it round but a smaller allowance than the board and Archie and Paterson. Also add in the players they aren’t wee lambs - someone like bell is supposed to be a good goalkeeper- he has been an unfit disgrace 

Sneddon for me as first choice for the rest of the season. A far better keeper.

First and foremost the old board that left in June. They publicaly backed him after a disastrous season then all left.

If the new boards first task was to completely undermine their predecessors then chaos would have ensured.

Secondary its Archie he built (I use that word loosely) this squad, never signed a RB even knowing Elliot was suspended for start of season and pissed about signing duds, guys who were injured, hadn’t played in months, illegible or on recommendations of former players, agents or other managers.

Thirdly the new board, they left it too late this season then dragged their heals approaching Neilson when he had all but signed for Utd, he had already agreed to go, we just offered a little more.

Caldwell seems to be looking for a reaction now after publicly stating more players will be gone in January after today, that will either spur the remaining on or cause them all to down tools, dangerous game but I don’t see what option he has left, he could be gone if we don’t turn it around soon, and significantly improve after a transfer window 

12 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Caldwell seems to be looking for a reaction now after publicly stating more players will be gone in January after today, that will either spur the remaining on or cause them all to down tools, dangerous game but I don’t see what option he has left, he could be gone if we don’t turn it around soon, and significantly improve after a transfer window 

This sums up the naivety of this clown. Firstly that he will still be here in January, secondly that players will move on easily and lastly funds will be available to replace all that he would like to move on.

2 minutes ago, Metz said:

This sums up the naivety of this clown. Firstly that he will still be here in January, secondly that players will move on easily and lastly funds will be available to replace all that he would like to move on.

Did you not want Archie to be given more time? As we had 18 months of going downhill then i wouldn’t be surprised if Caldwell is here in January whether he should be or not

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Did you not want Archie to be given more time? As we had 18 months of going downhill then i wouldn’t be surprised if Caldwell is here in January whether he should be or not

It's irrelevant if I wanted Archie to have more time or not. Do you think Caldwell should be in charge in January?

14 minutes ago, Metz said:

We have 6 players out of contract in January and 15 out of contract in May, a lot easier to release guys with 3 or 4 months than 18 months 

Only 3 players are signed into 2020

He has been told we have funds, and can spend in January, and he’ll still be here as he has nearly 2 years left on his contract, which we won’t cut before the first transfer window seeing as we’re still paying the clown before him that put us in this situation 

Edited by Norgethistle

Anyone who wants to blame Alan Archibald for today's performance feel free. Sorry, but I can't recommend a suitable therapist. 

Caldwell apparently got the gig on the premise that the players were good enough. The three games since he left have been atrocious. I'm not making some appeal for Archie it was time he went. I'm concerned tho' letting Caldwell have a free go in the Jan window

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, muirparkman said:

I think more of the squad should stand up and be counted on this one.  Heads go down too often and nobody seems to give two fcuks.

Which has been the problem for nearly 18 months, in a normal workplace if you were appointed as a new manager to a failing company/ factory you’d be able to discipline then (if need be) fire the main culprits to sort the issue, unfortunately football is a different matter and you can’t seem to fire folk for performance failings

If you look back at the key decisions I think it leads to the board.You have to start at what the board did with the chief exec position.

Putting an ex-playerIan Maxwell into that role in 2014 was a big call and he wasn't without his failings but it largely got ignored because we were in the premier league. When things got difficult last year was Maxwell too close to Archie and therefore less inclined to recommend to the board that Archie's time was up when it could have made a difference? Is having an ex-player as a chief exec a good thing? Did the board evaluate the pro's and con's before appointing Britton?

Britton then picks up the Archie situation and he must have had to recommend a course of action to the board on that. Did he also let his relationship with Archie effect his decision? Whilst I've seen some people say Archie should have gone after the performances in the top 6 games, the kilmarnock game or the the County game I think most would agree that it was a huge decision from the board to retain him after the livi games and trust him with the rebuild.

That was Britton's first proper test which didn't go well. On the plus side he acted to correct that faster than we expected by sacking Archie after the County game. So his next big test is who replaces Archie and that isn't looking good either.

So I think you have to question if an ex-player as Chief Exec is a wise choice. You might say we had non-player before in that role and we were still not great and you woudl be right. However Maxwell and Britton are chief exec at a point in our recent history were we in a good financial situation and most of the previous incumbents didn't have that luxury.

39 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Anyone who wants to blame Alan Archibald for today's performance feel free. Sorry, but I can't recommend a suitable therapist. 

Caldwell apparently got the gig on the premise that the players were good enough. The three games since he left have been atrocious. I'm not making some appeal for Archie it was time he went. I'm concerned tho' letting Caldwell have a free go in the Jan window

Agree. Also worrying that none of our players seem to be bursting a gut to impress our new manager as you would expect.

What is the purpose of this thread?

We are where we are. In serious relegation trouble with a team of misfits many of whom do not seem to care and a manager who at best is dubious. Yes its a friggin nightmare and should not have been allowed to happen but spending time on trying to apportion blame is pointless.

What is going to be done to change the situation and  give us back some pride in our Club? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Yes how could we ever think that Alan Archibald had anything to do with that absolute shambles today.  Shame you can't recommend a therapist. cause I've needed one since long before Gary Caldwell arrived.

We need a goalkeeping coach that learns the keeper under his remit to "use their box". These white line are there for a purpose and not just for the junkies. In this area there is only one man who can not only touch the ball, but pick it up. This puts the Goalkeeper at a much greater advantage than anyone else on the park. Time after time balls are coming into our area while, for some reason or other, our keeper is rooted to the ground. Bell is hopeless, he is going to cost us dearly, Sneddon is the better of the two but even he does not command the box. Is this the fault of the coach?. 

4 hours ago, Metz said:

It's irrelevant if I wanted Archie to have more time or not. Do you think Caldwell should be in charge in January?

Did you not say you would eat your hat if we got relegated under Archie? I seem to remember you being very aggressive against anyone daring to say he had to go so it’s a bit ironic you want someone sacked after 3 games 

he may have been the wrong appointment I wanted Ian McCall, Goodwin would have been okay imo but yes il give him the January to see what players he brings in - right now he is dealing with Archie’s (the guy who could do no wrong in your eyes) shambles of a squad a lot of managers would struggle with this lot

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lefty1876 said:

The new manger brought in to enhance the team's performance. He has done nothing if anything we are worse .  Give him Saturday's game if we get nothing out of it sack him along with those who gave him the job . Do not accept this shite.

If he gets something out of Saturday's game, will you get off his back, at least temporarily?

Edited by Jaggernaut