ICT vs. Thistle

Jaggernaut

I wasn't exactly feeling positive but we were reasonably good in the first half today and though we fell out of things in the second half, we probably deserved at least a draw - a penalty miss and unfortunately young Fitzpatrick made a mess of a great late chance set up by Doolan.  Spittal was very good in the first half with a tremendous run and pass,,,but reverted to his more usual form in the second half.  Likewise Storey fired in a couple of decent crosses early on but did little after the break - his scoring record is pathetic and I don't remember him ever having an assist.

It was disappointing that in the second half,  we seemed edgy in possession and hit too many aimless long balls to our small front men but the team and individual performances were ok - we didn't look like a relegation team but we have just got into the habit of losing. With Storey & Spittal both playing wide, Inverness had a lot of space to play through the midfield but it least we weren't the absolute shambles we looked from the highlights from Cappielow.

We have a core of decent players and the jury is very much out on Caldwell...played 4 - lost 4 and in the relegation play-off position - if we had won these four, which shouldn't have been beyond us, we would have been in the play-off spot for promotion.

It wasn't a big turn-out of Thistle fans but they were admirably supportive. I'm not sure that will last if we don't get a win very soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watties wallies said:

would agree with last 2 posts

we were much better today, more energy more movement and yes we did create chances

onwards and upwards :thumbsup2:

thought Aidan did well when he came on

Aiden should have scored with the chance he had in the last minute. A lot more experienced players than him also missed chances, so he wasn't alone.

1 hour ago, Z88 said:

Much much better. More direct, better movement, more energy,  better football and better performances from several including Storey and Spittal (rubbish pen and missed chance though).  Should have won. 

Still lost though. 7 defeats in a row, overtaken by Alloa to sit second bottom of the second tier. All this from a board of directors whose stated aim was promotion from this division this season.  If Caldwell can’t sort it out, try again to find someone else who can. He should be sacked if we are bottom 2 in February, after the much-hyped transfer window (we really need to sign 4-5 new players) - after which his managerial career would be finished.

• Like 3

Gary Caldwell says on bbc he thought team were great:

Partick Thistle's Gary Caldwell: "I thought we were magnificent from the first minute to the last - the attitude, application. I've seen a lot of things I'm extremely happy and positive with.

They still see things different from a lot of other people..

28 minutes ago, muirparkman said:

Gary Caldwell says on bbc he thought team were great:

Partick Thistle's Gary Caldwell: "I thought we were magnificent from the first minute to the last - the attitude, application. I've seen a lot of things I'm extremely happy and positive with.

They still see things different from a lot of other people..

I also thought we were the better team today. The only other game I have seen with Caldwell in charge was our last home game against Ayr and I thought we were better today than in the Ayr game. I know we lost both 1-0 but today we made more chances. The problem is we missed them including a penalty. We now need to improve our finishing,do that and we will win some games soon. If we don't we and Caldwell are in deep sh?t.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I also thought we were the better team today. The only other game I have seen with Caldwell in charge was our last home game against Ayr and I thought we were better today than in the Ayr game. I know we lost both 1-0 but today we made more chances. The problem is we missed them including a penalty. We now need to improve our finishing,do that and we will win some games soon. If we don't we and Caldwell are in deep sh?t.

I agree with all of this. I thought we were very good today and  a massive improvement on last week. Gutted to lose, of course, but the team were fired up by Caldwell and I don't think there was a bad Thistle player on the park, including Storey, who I thought was excellent. A wee bit of luck and we would be talking about having beaten ICT 3-1 today. Pretty much the same players on the park as last week-the difference is the manager. I'm feeling confident Caldwell will turn this around.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Can I just check, the guy with the whistle was just someone who won a "be a ref for a match" competition in a drinking establishment before the game?

He might have been, but he gave us a way back into the game which like he kept doing with his whistle. We blew it.

7 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

I agree with all of this. I thought we were very good today and  a massive improvement on last week. Gutted to lose, of course, but the team were fired up by Caldwell and I don't think there was a bad Thistle player on the park, including Storey, who I thought was excellent. A wee bit of luck and we would be talking about having beaten ICT 3-1 today. Pretty much the same players on the park as last week-the difference is the manager. I'm feeling confident Caldwell will turn this around.

It's hard for us to know quite what state the dressing room was in at the point Caldwell took over. From the performances, I would suggest that most players were fragile and lacking confidence. Hopefully we are now seeing signs that Caldwell is improving their confidence. I thought we were terrific in the first half today, apart from our finishing.

I hope the fans confidence improves soon too. I fully expected Spittal to miss the penalty. 

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

It looks like nothing has changed...

That is simply not true.

You are looking at the result not the performance. Today was much much better.

Spittal , Slater, McGinty, Keown and Dools  all had decent games and  big improvement on previous .

I think Banzo is trying too hard at the moment , he is naturally one of the best players in our team but needs to learn how to tackle and to keep his hands down.

I am much less  disallusioned than last week.

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

It looks like nothing has changed...

Some very positive signs especially first half. As some have said storey and spittal actually played well first half ( some will be so blinkered they missed it )but we need to sustain it for 90 mins. Archies teams couldn't. The acid test for Caldwell is to get that full game consistency. 

45 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Doolan always very poor I thought today 

13 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Nonsense, led the line well allowing Quitongo to express himself, the two set ups , one for Quitongo in the first half and the other for Fitzpatrick in the second half were equisite , the only downside were the chances which he possibly should have scored , we looked a different team with Doolan playing from the nonsense of the previous week . He was the only change from the team that played against Morton and made a big difference in how we played  today .

Surprised no one's mentioned the fundamental change in formation with a switch to 4-4-2 with Doolan and Quitongo upfront, and linking  up well in the first half. Also Storey looked much more comfortable on the right taking on his man getting crosses in early with his natural foot.

Team looks much better this way, despite being a bit lightweight in central midfield, though Slater worked tirelessly.

It also looked like the players were playing for the manager and gave their all to the end.

All in all, the loss was hard to bear, but there is promise in the team.

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Spittals penalty was terrible 

doolan had 2 great chances in the first half and did nothing with them 

Quitongo was anonymous 

still don’t think we deserved to lose 

Agree with all bar your point about quitongo who i thought was very good in first half. Like a few others he disappeared second half.

36 minutes ago, Cults Jag said:

Surprised no one's mentioned the fundamental change in formation with a switch to 4-4-2 with Doolan and Quitongo upfront, and linking  up well in the first half. Also Storey looked much more comfortable on the right taking on his man getting crosses in early with his natural foot.

Team looks much better this way, despite being a bit lightweight in central midfield, though Slater worked tirelessly.

It also looked like the players were playing for the manager and gave their all to the end.

All in all, the loss was hard to bear, but there is promise in the team.

Yep, the 4 4 2 formation seemed to work really well and I agree regarding Slater-he threw himself into everything and worked his socks off. I thought he was excellent. Definitely agree the players were playing for the manager.  I thought McGinty was a different player this week too.

Clear evidence, imo, all across the park that the team were being coached well.

Edited by westertonjagfan

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Not at his best and he would have scored two of those chances on another day but I thought he linked really well with Jai and I also think opposing defences are aware of who he is as a player-I think just having Doolz on the park is a good thing.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to disagree , you were obviously watching a different game or hadn’t been to any of the 4 or 5 games prior . Even though we got beat there were signs there it will turn. Thought there was more energy about the team , also thought they looked a bit fitter . It makes a change coming out of a game saying we actually missed chances , we deserved a draw at the very least against a team who have went 25 games unbeaten.  We’ve got to back Gary Caldwell and hopefully get a team spirit and maybe a little bit of siege mentality back into the Club , huge game next week 

I agree with this. Ran out of likes. Been critical of caldwell until today. Much better performance esp in the first half. Mcginty was much improved, stayed goal side unlike last week,  keown and penrice were solid & was best i've seen elliott this season, would still rather see him pushed into midfield amd a right back brought in.

The players were all committed and full of energy. I think they look fitter and didn't seem to tire as much as they have been in last 20. We vreated some great chances as have been highlighted by others and on another day.......

We still can't score which is very concerning but i feel more positive than i did last week. Inverness are a very strong and well organised team and will be challenging at the end of the seaaon aand we had them on the run for much of the game.

Also i didn't think Bell would play after last week and was fairly scared when i saw he was playing but he was solid too. I get the feeling the players are hurting and i couldn't fault their effort today which was encouraging. Work in progress?