ICT vs. Thistle

Jaggernaut

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

You struggle to see us scoring more than one and conceding at least two 

Yip. We are so low on confidence right now that first order of business is not to concede. If we get a 0-0 on Saturday even if it means 11 men behind the ball and playing hoofball it should be treated as major step forward.

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

If we focus on not conceding, which basically means aspiring to no more than a 0-0 draw, we will lose. 

I mean we will definitely lose, whereas by attacking and trying to score, we will only probably lose.

I get where you are coming from however I think whenever a new manager goes into a underperforming team thats confidence is gone and is struggling in all aspects you have to go back to basics.

Basics in a footballing sense is don't give away goals cheaply by allowing the opposition space and time in the areas of the pitch they can hurt you. Its also the area which the manager can influence. He can't change their technique to make them all Messi's but he can create a defensive unit that denies the opposition space. Once the team starts to believe it can defend it creates confidence and trust that allows the attacking players to take some chances.

One of the early Lambie games was away to Falkirk who were top of the league and we were bottom. Lambie had to go with the players we had as he was only just in the job so he set us up to defend and deny space. Which we did by the skin our teeth and low and behold midway through the second half Pat Kelly who was a player with enormous natural ability but a poor work ethic scores a wondergoal and we win 1-0. Thats the sort of performance we need on Saturday and thats the sort of approach the manager needs to take between now and at least January.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 9:29 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It's one thing throwing a young outfield players into the ring.  Gotta be double/treble sure when it comes to a young keeper. Bell's been far from inspiring and ideally should be benched but  that doesn't necessarily mean Sneddon is ready mentally as well as physically to step up. It's less of a pressure covering for an injured player or filling in for a Challenge Cup game.

I'd suggest at this moment in time no one on here is remotely aware if dropping a fit Bell for Sneddon would be truly worthwhile.  Would hate to see such an obvious prospect suffer a setback thru expediency.

You are too conservative and worried about change.

I don’t disagree it’s a risk playing Sneddon, Fitz and Penrice(in midfield).  But that’s where we are at the moment. We must change otherwise we will go down. We desperately need a new spark. 

Its not as if we’re playing against high class opposition. If they were playing Junior they would still encounter physicality.

They’ll have some seasoned pros around them who need to nurse them along. GC needs to give them a kick up the bahookie and not rest on ‘legend’ status to extract us from this mess.

BTW I don’t think Erskine is finished. Most of the best moments of a dire season gave come from him when he has started games.

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

If we focus on not conceding, which basically means aspiring to no more than a 0-0 draw, we will lose. 

I mean we will definitely lose, whereas by attacking and trying to score, we will only probably lose.

If only Archie had this attitude!

At least we would have been better entertained.

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

You are too conservative and worried about change.

Didn't know you were Mystic Meg, Weebaw. :D

I do tho' think it's far from ideal throwing a young goalie into the fray behind such a shaky defence.  If he's mentally right  to cope then that's a different matter.  Sneddon's distribution & kicking if not first class is light years ahead of Bell, who is too Cernyesque for my liking. Of course first class distribution is academic if the player on the receiving end either goes into freeze frame mode or aimlessly punts the ball anywhere, which is too often the case these days.

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I don’t disagree it’s a risk playing Sneddon, Fitz and Penrice(in midfield).  But that’s where we are at the moment. We must change otherwise we will go down. We desperately need a new spark

It's pretty much a risk playing anyone at the moment. Sticking with Bell, along with a few other first team regulars, is a huge risk for Saturday, as if they fail to perform yet again, Caldwell will get it in the neck for not changing things up. 

On 11/4/2018 at 9:29 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It's one thing throwing a young outfield players into the ring.  Gotta be double/treble sure when it comes to a young keeper. Bell's been far from inspiring and ideally should be benched but  that doesn't necessarily mean Sneddon is ready mentally as well as physically to step up. It's less of a pressure covering for an injured player or filling in for a Challenge Cup game.

I'd suggest at this moment in time no one on here is remotely aware if dropping a fit Bell for Sneddon would be truly worthwhile.  Would hate to see such an obvious prospect suffer a setback thru expediency.

Sorry LIB, don't agree.

We have farted about too long ' protecting' younger players. These guys have been playing football for years to get to this stage, There comes a time when they need to step up.

Le'ts look on the  positive rather than this ultra cautions  nonsense.

What if he comes in makes a few  solid saves; pulls off a stunning save to win us the points; commands his box well; is vocal and organises the defence and basically cements his position for the rest of the season and beyond?

• Like 2

I have some good news for this game. I have found my lucky Jags mug, an old one with the stealth bomber logo.

I would always drink my morning coffee out of this mug on match days, and not use it at any other time. Interestingly, I lost it around the start of the top 6 games and it has been missing since.

My coffee will be drunk from it tomorrow. Lets see what happens.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know which players will be selected and I don't know what the formation will be (my name is not Gary Caldwell before any comedian jumps in) but what I do know is players and managers will come and go but we, the supporters, will always be there and tomorrow at 3pm all the negativity, doubts, etc need to be put aside. We have our role to perform as much as the players have theirs. Lets in the Jackie Husband Stand really hound the Inverness playing down that side of the pitch and the guys in the John Lambie Stand can do the same to their keeper when he is at that end. One mistake or lapse in concentration from them could be the difference. Lets get on top of the officials as well and turn some 50/50 decisions in to ones that go our way. It will have to be a joint effort from now and until the end of the season and, of course, the manager and players have to do their bit but lets make sure we do ours as well.

C'MON THE REAL JAGS!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I don't know which players will be selected and I don't know what the formation will be (my name is not Gary Caldwell before any comedian jumps in) but what I do know is players and managers will come and go but we, the supporters, will always be there and tomorrow at 3pm all the negativity, doubts, etc need to be put aside. We have our role to perform as much as the players have theirs. Lets in the Jackie Husband Stand really hound the Inverness playing down that side of the pitch and the guys in the John Lambie Stand can do the same to their keeper when he is at that end. One mistake or lapse in concentration from them could be the difference. Lets get on top of the officials as well and turn some 50/50 decisions in to ones that go our way. It will have to be a joint effort from now and until the end of the season and, of course, the manager and players have to do their bit but lets make sure we do ours as well.

C'MON THE REAL JAGS!

Agree with you FT. But I also feel that the fans have  given good support even though we have lost 6 games in a row. I feel it is a 2 way thing, the fans do their bit but the players also need to respond with some positive  play on the park.