Caldwell

Jagsman

29 minutes ago, Big Col said:

There may have been signs of improvement, progress, and a game plan.

But we still lost. And we didn’t score. And we didn’t keep a clean sheet.

Played 4, lost 4. Scored 1 and conceded 8. 

And that’s how the manager and players are judged.

Yip, we are at a point and have been since before caldwell took over that performances don't matter its all about points.

The next 4 weeks are probably make or break for Caldwell as we have Falkirk, Queens, Dunfermline and Alloa. Lose all 4, we'll be bottom and possibly adrift which in turn makes it hard to justify why he should get the transfer window. We really need to come out of that run with at least 7 points to have a fighting chance of avoiding relegation.

Just now, westertonjagfan said:

I thought there was clear evidence today of improvement all across the park and of how Caldwell wants the team to play, so I think he'll be given the time and money to put things right.

Time is not on our side. By the time January comes we will be so detached that a Man City type spending spree wouldn't be enough to replace this shower of Bawbags playing in Partick Thistle colours. They are an absolute disgrace to the name of Partick Thistle.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Time is not on our side. By the time January comes we will be so detached that a Man City type spending spree wouldn't be enough to replace this shower of Bawbags playing in Partick Thistle colours. They are an absolute disgrace to the name of Partick Thistle.

Were you at the game?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, laukat said:

Yip, we are at a point and have been since before caldwell took over that performances don't matter its all about points.

The next 4 weeks are probably make or break for Caldwell as we have Falkirk, Queens, Dunfermline and Alloa. Lose all 4, we'll be bottom and possibly adrift which in turn makes it hard to justify why he should get the transfer window. We really need to come out of that run with at least 7 points to have a fighting chance of avoiding relegation.

I think a performance was required today. Finishing aside we pretty much got one against a side with a long unbeaten record. I agree we need a decent number of points from these next 4 games. After today I'm more confident than I was.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, laukat said:

Agreed. We need points on the board.

I felt we were much improved today. But we need to keep playing at todays level, but have to add to it by taking our chances. 6 Games left to the end of the year. Caldwell cannot continue to lose all of the games to the January window.  Next week is a big game for both us and Falkirk. Win that and it looks like Caldwell is changing things around. Lose it and the jury is out if he is changing anything and if he will be able to improve us come January.

• Like 1

Feel any improvement today was rather marginal. Light years ahead of last week, granted, but in relation to recent home games against County and Dundee Utd not that much better. In fact starting off games with a fair amount of intensity and being the better team at half time but with nothing to show for it is no stranger.  Convert the penalty,  finishing 1-1, and I doubt many would argue the result would've unfair. Being unlucky not to get a point at home against a mediocre outfit like ICT is tho'the faintest of praise. 

If anything I thought our defence and goalie were less to blame today with the culpability stakes more the property of our dithering forwards. Also found it alarming today, tho' maybe not much to do with the manager, that apart from the one substitution we made I couldn't see  where a second change could make a positive difference.

So in answer to the OP I reckon Caldwell will be safe thru the January transfer window but there's little as yet to suggest he's earning that time. From what we were told he got the gig as he convinced the Board he could transform the squad he inherited. It's easy enough to single out players that should be moved on but I doubt any of us have even an inkling of a clue re Caldwell's potential in the transfer market. Worrying. 

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Feel any improvement today was rather marginal. Light years ahead of last week, granted, but in relation to recent home games against County and Dundee Utd not that much better. In fact starting off games with a fair amount of intensity and being the better team at half time but with nothing to show for it is no stranger.  Convert the penalty,  finishing 1-1, and I doubt many would argue the result would've unfair. Being unlucky not to get a point at home against a mediocre outfit like ICT is tho'the faintest of praise. 

If anything I thought our defence and goalie were less to blame today with the culpability stakes more the property of our dithering forwards. Also found it alarming today, tho' maybe not much to do with the manager, that apart from the one substitution we made I couldn't see  where a second change could make a positive difference.

So in answer to the OP I reckon Caldwell will be safe thru the January transfer window but there's little as yet to suggest he's earning that time. From what we were told he got the gig as he convinced the Board he could transform the squad he inherited. It's easy enough to single out players that should be moved on but I doubt any of us have even an inkling of a clue re Caldwell's potential in the transfer market. Worrying. 

Not so sure ICT are that mediocre as that is their 25th game unbeaten, agree re bench with possibly only McCarthy to come on to give us a bit more legs . Still a bit more optimistic than I was last week driving back from Cappielow  .

Edited by jlsarmy

Will Gary Caldwell get sacked if our poor run of results continues?

Who knows! It was a brave decision by the board to give him the gig in the first place, they must have seen something in him they liked.

It's a difficult question to answer; when you wouldn't of personally considered hiring him in the first place. Next week is a big game, if we win or draw that will deemed a very good result. If we lose and lose badly, the pressure will really start to crank up on both the manager and the board.

There's a few different camps in the support, including;

"We should never have got rid of Archie" - This camp is pretty silent at the moment so the numbers are probably underestimated. Some of them currently very subdued and in deep shock, some are meekly going along with the programme, others already have the knives out for Caldwell and the Board of Directors. Caldwell will be doing well to win over this group of supporters.

"Thanks Archie for leaving us in such a mess" - This camp is the cry baby element of our support and need to recognise the facts. Alan Archibald is no the longer the manager, he didn't "leave us", he was sacked. Furthermore, before his dismissal he managed to win 3 games out of 7 this season, with the same squad of players that Caldwell has led to 4 straight defeats.  This group of supporters is mainly supportive of Caldwell at the moment. Caldwell needs to keep this group of supporters onside as they have the potential to make his life a living hell.

"Lets's give it till after the January transfer window and see how things go" - This camp is the most pragmatic and logical grouping, they may or may not be supportive of Gary Caldwell, but for numerous reasons including, stability, giving people a fair crack of the whip and for the good of the club, will go along with the status quo for the time being. If Caldwell keeps this camp onboard and happy his job will be safe enough. Lose this group of supporters and he's in deep trouble.

"Why have we hired him, his record is terrible?" - This camp is generally very sceptical of both Gary Caldwell and the Board of Directors for giving him the job in the first instance. This group is currently small in numbers. If results improve they will have been proved wrong, if results are mixed over the longer term, Caldwell will have run his course and the board will pick a replacement. If however, the results continue to slide this group is the most likely to challenge the competence of the people at the very top of the club, The Chairman, The Chief Executive etc.

There's a lot riding on this season. If Caldwell doesn't get it sorted out pretty dam sharpish, he will have led 3 clubs, to 3 relegation's in 3 years!

Gary Caldwell has certainly left a lasting impression on the Chesterfield Town supporters. They reckon he's a Jonah.

I suppose we will just have to keep our fingers crossed, hope for the best and see what happens.

Edited by AndyMac
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I will take up 2 points with you.

If we had scored the penalty, it doesn’t mean the game would have ended 1-1, particularly as it came so soon after ICT goal(Ifs and buts, I know).

Secondly, Caldwell has stated that he aims to improve the defence 1st. I think it was evident he has been working at that. In the warm up, the back four were practising as a unit and during the game it looked to me as if there was more purpose in their clearing headers.

I agree about the subs, though.

5 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Probably how can you make a measured judgment on a game if you weren’t there ?

The judgement is taken over the season so far. They have been abject. As Caldwell has already said, they are mentally weak. They have great difficulty in getting any kind of result after going behind. Now maybe Caldwell will sort It, hopefully, but as of this moment those players have been a disgrace to the Thistle jersey.

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

The judgement is taken over the season so far. They have been abject. As Caldwell has already said, they are mentally weak. They have great difficulty in getting any kind of result after going behind. Now maybe Caldwell will sort It, hopefully, but as of this moment those players have been a disgrace to the Thistle jersey.

is your judgement based on you being at any games this season, because you are prone to make some big ill informed statements.

Just now, erty13 said:

is your judgement based on you being at any games this season, because you are prone to make some big ill informed statements.

So an opinion on the fact that this squad have been dreadful( hence 7 league defeats in a row) isn't good enough because I may not be at the match. My apologies for having an opinion on the facts that we have been bloody awful.

19 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

So an opinion on the fact that this squad have been dreadful( hence 7 league defeats in a row) isn't good enough because I may not be at the match. My apologies for having an opinion on the facts that we have been bloody awful.

Being awful and getting awful results are two different things, though. 

Sometimes this season we have been awful - yesterday wasn’t one of those days.