Caldwell

Jagsman

The Final insult was missing the penalty

we have a 100+ goal striker on the Park and we let Spittal take it who the majority of fans want to see the back of. I noticed Bannigan spoke to him just as he was due to take it ( maybe he wasn’t confident in him either)

caldwell got the job on the understanding he was going to improve the current team. There’s no way he got it by saying they’re all crap and I will Make whole sale changes in January. I don’t see ANY improvement and anyone who does doesn’t follow football.

if it wasn’t for Craig Slater bailing the defence out twice after shambolic defending we would of been beaten more convincingly.. FACT!

Yes we played well first half but again and again when the final ball came or when we found ourselves through we absolutely fluffed it. I don’t know if anyone in the club realises that you need to score to win football matches.

Caldwell has came out and said how great it was because the desire and hard work was present. Am I the only one who thinks that should be a given every time a player enters the field and if it’s not get them to ####

last season we all thought we would be fine when the injuries had cleared up..Didn’t happen and damage was done. This season we are waiting for new recruits in January. Maybe just maybe it won’t work and the damage will have already been done.

Time for the Board to wake up

ARCHIE 

played 7 won 3

Caldwell

played 4 lost 4

JUST SAYING!!!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Paukea said:

we have a 100+ goal striker on the Park and we let Spittal take it who the majority of fans want to see the back of. I noticed Bannigan spoke to him just as he was due to take it ( maybe he wasn’t confident in him either)

caldwell got the job on the understanding he was going to improve the current team. There’s no way he got it by saying they’re all crap and I will Make whole sale changes in January. I don’t see ANY improvement and anyone who does doesn’t follow football.

if it wasn’t for Craig Slater bailing the defence out twice after shambolic defending we would of been beaten more convincingly.. FACT!

Yes we played well first half but again and again when the final ball came or when we found ourselves through we absolutely fluffed it. I don’t know if anyone in the club realises that you need to score to win football matches.

Caldwell has came out and said how great it was because the desire and hard work was present. Am I the only one who thinks that should be a given every time a player enters the field and if it’s not get them to ####

last season we all thought we would be fine when the injuries had cleared up..Didn’t happen and damage was done. This season we are waiting for new recruits in January. Maybe just maybe it won’t work and the damage will have already been done.

ARCHIE 

played 7 won 3

Caldwell

played 4 lost 4

JUST SAYING!!!

Clearly Doolan didn't want to take it. Hardly the fault of Caldwell. Secondly Craig Slater was doing his job. I see improvement and many support that. The comparison with Archie is meaningless as his time was up. End of. I'm hoping Caldwell will deliver results soon. 4 games is not enough to judge any manager. 

The is no way Caldwell will be sacked before the end of the season and shouldn’t be. Clubs who serially sack their manager tend o be chaotic and unstable.

Despite this I worry that Caldwell has morphed into Archie, ignoring failure and totally stubborn as regards team selection.

What really gets me is our record says we are pretty much the worst team in Scotland yet there is a pool of players who cant get a game.

Max Melbourne is on the books of WBA but isn’t good enough to be brought into the left back role to allow Penrice to move forward.

Scobie and Jeffries cant get into a defence that ships goals on a weekly basis sometimes as many as 5 in one go.

I cant remember McCarthy having a really bad game fot thistle and that includes games against the OF. However he cant get a start at the moment and Fitzpatrick struggles to get his foot in the door

I’ll probably get pelters for this but I think in an attacking team Storer would be a talent if a manager was hard on him and tell him to cut out the nutcase stuff.

So why have we signed half a team of players that are not good enough for a losing team or do neither of our managers this season have the nerve or ability to change the team to bring them in?

On a personal note this is probably my lowest ebb as a thistle fan of forty plus years. I feel like a boxer in the corner just getting repeatedly punched and looking for a way out but no respite seems to be coming. I hate all the negativity about the place and that includes my own.  I don’t share all the enthusiasm of those who think we turned a corner yesterday. You don’t miss penalties and you don’t keep playing players who have proved over many months that they don’t have it. I'm not expecting anything great against Falkirk but who knows I'm at a stage now when a lucky 0-0 draw would feel like winning the league!!

January is not the light at the end of the tunnel some people think it is. There are contracts to honour and good players are not clamouring to sign for a team bottom of the Championship. There will be changes but they will not be major. With Alloa and Falkirk possibly improving I fear the worst but we need to stick with Caldwell and he needs to do his job and live up to his excellent interview presentation!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paukea said:

ARCHIE 

played 7 won 3

Caldwell

played 4 lost 4

JUST SAYING!!!

Not really sure what you are saying. I don’t think Doolan has a very good record with penalties, whereas Spittal has scored some spectacular dead ball goals.

Maybe Bannigan was doing what a captain should and was giving him some encouragement?

Again I am not sure what you are saying regards Slater. Only defenders should defend ? I don’t think I have ever seen that in a football match.

if you have been to matches recently you will know that the players haven’t always put in the effort - I think yesterday they did, so Caldwell is right to praise them for that.

We made 5 decent chances yesterday. How many times this season have we done that ?

Do you want Caldwell sacked and somebody else to come in and change things again ?

For the record:-

Yesterday Gary Caldwell became the first manager in Thistle's history to start his managerial career with 4 consecutive league defeats.

In addition to currently, 7 straight league defeats has been "achieved" twice (Jan 1990-Mar 1990) and (Oct 1998-Nov 1998).  

There is worse than that of course:-

8... (May 2017-Aug 2017)

10... (Sep 2003-Nov 2003) 

11... (Jan 1898-Oct 1898)

and the daddy of them all 12... (Feb 1909-Aug 1909).

Hopefully none of them will ever be equalled/beaten.

You cant make sugar out of sh!te. If only those who are shouting for heads didn't shout out when Piccolo was signed. The last manager left us in a mess, what bothers me with Caldwell is he hasn't identified the keeper as a weak link yet. The mark of a good manager is to build out from the back, and then build the spine of the team. As I said when Jackie  (God bless him) left,  Bannigan is finished, he hasn't kicked a ball since Jackie  (God bless him) left, and unless Caldwell has got Harry Potters magic wand this is a position to be filled as well.

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

The judgement is taken over the season so far. They have been abject. As Caldwell has already said, they are mentally weak. They have great difficulty in getting any kind of result after going behind. Now maybe Caldwell will sort It, hopefully, but as of this moment those players have been a disgrace to the Thistle jersey.

I can see why erty13 & dl1971 were questioning your comments. Can't argue with what your saying. It's just rather inopportune being posted so soon after a game where they did show intensity, played far more as a unit and weren't to be faulted for raw effort. I doubt I'd be out on a limb in saying football ability isn't the way to measure whether a player is "a disgrace to the Thistle jersey". Many of my favourite Jags players weren't the most gifted of footballers. On the other hand we've had our share of Billy Big Boots, players with talent that couldn't be arsed using it. I'd suggest the latter were a better measure of being a disgrace to the jersey.

Changes have to be made in January regardless of yesterday's improvements. It's just a case of fingers crossed Caldwell gets that right. If he does manage that and if the players that remain display the same effort as yesterday, we should pull up the table. Granted that's two big "ifs" :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I will take up 2 points with you.

If we had scored the penalty, it doesn’t mean the game would have ended 1-1, particularly as it came so soon after ICT goal(Ifs and buts, I know).

Secondly, Caldwell has stated that he aims to improve the defence 1st. I think it was evident he has been working at that. In the warm up, the back four were practising as a unit and during the game it looked to me as if there was more purpose in their clearing headers.

I agree about the subs, though.

First point I can't argue with that.

Second point I can't argue with that either, tho' I did say there was less to blame the defence for yesterday.

Third point, I shouldn't really post on here after four hours in the pub.:)

1 hour ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

The is no way Caldwell will be sacked before the end of the season and shouldn’t be. Clubs who serially sack their manager tend o be chaotic and unstable.

Apologies for the selective quoting.

Even if we sack Caldwell before the end of this year we will have had 3 managers in 6 years which is hardly chaotic or unstable. Whilst the counter to this is we will be heading for 3 managers in one season if we end up in that situation it will be because we will have realised we have made a mistake in apponting Caldwell and are heading for relegation.

Last year County had 3 managers in one season. I think their supporters would tell you their mistake was not in getting rid of Mcintyre or Coyle but in not getting rid of Coyle sooner when it was obvious it wasn't working.

You can’t sack a new manager after a few games as you would have to do the same with the next guy after a few games if he didn’t win either and that would be a dangerous cycle to get into 

Yesterday there were signs of improvement particularly in defence which is our big weakness.. we have to hope the improvement can continue 

there seems to be a view that a new manager could easily turn things around ....it’s a measure of how poor and unbalanced the squad is that we are where we are 

so you have to give Gary some time and the January transfer window to try and re jig the squad 

we will have to stop going about Archie soon but the squad is dreadful....we have 8 defenders and one o’ware is injured, of the remaining seven melbourne scobbie and Jeffries never play so the new manager has to play the same back four every week.....a total shambles 

14 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I am sure I read last week we are still paying our previous management team till the end of this season. Don't think we could afford to pay the current management if we had to sack them as well. And also hire yet another management team.

Yep we are paying Archie and Scott till next summer. Caldwell got a 2 year deal so probably not as cheap as some may think to pay him off too

6 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

So an opinion on the fact that this squad have been dreadful( hence 7 league defeats in a row) isn't good enough because I may not be at the match. My apologies for having an opinion on the facts that we have been bloody awful.

Happy for you to have an opinion, it is how you express it. You never saw the performance yesterday but were happy to call the players " bawbags" and "disgrace to a jersey".  The fans who were at the game were disappointed with the result, but saw the effort they put in yesterday.

We applauded the team at half time as we were the better team.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paukea said:

Only the deluded thought that!

Everyone thinks that we will be ok come the January window,  the cavalry will arrive and everything will be fine and we might end up mid table, but who is going to sign for us if we are bottom or near it. We are in the same position as last year,  "everything will be fine when the injured guys come back"

• Like 1

Bannigan, Fraser, Osman & Dumbuya were on the long-term injury list last season and were all expected to return after the Winter Break in January...for a variety of reasons, they barely kicked a ball for us...just about their only noteworthy contribution was Gary Fraser blasting the ball into the stand at Parkhead and whacking a Celtic fan,

If any one of them had got back to anywhere near the form they were capable of, we wouldn't have been relegated.

6 games until January window. 3 at home 3 away. Playing as we did yesterday but taking our chances would surely get some badly needed wins. Going back to how we had been playing before yesterday we could end up stranded at the bottom of the league. As I have said in other posts. Saturday is another big game.Another defeat and any confidence fans have in Caldwell will surely be strongly tested.

8 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Not really sure what you are saying. I don’t think Doolan has a very good record with penalties, whereas Spittal has scored some spectacular dead ball goals.

Maybe Bannigan was doing what a captain should and was giving him some encouragement?

If there is no penalty taker then it’s the captains responsibility to step up and take it

I thought the captain should have taken the responsibility yesterday, in such a high pressure situation leaders should lead from the front. But there is no manual as far as I’m aware that states whose job it is to take penalty’s when they’re awarded - and as has been said maybe we do have a penalty taker and maybe that is currently Blair Spittal. 

Caldwell needs to identify our problems quicker.

He has finally realised that we need dual strikers.. 

I actually that Keown was poor yesterday and was badly at fault for the goal.  Slater did save us twice when the central defenders messed up(again). They are both poor and need replaced ASAP.

For all Storey’s pace he creates nothing. Never has, never will.  There are reasons why we never score and he’s the main one. 

Spittal won us the QOS game and had a great 1st half yesterday. He has talent but hardly ever shows it. This boy needs a severe kicking and not to be treated with kid gloves.

Bell played ok yesterday but perhaps Snedden is worth a chance as he has looked much more convincing.

Fitzty needs to start a few games.

Come on GC, you should have worked it out by now.

3 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

No record of Spittal ever having taken a penalty for Thistle.  Doolan's record to date is 6 taken, 4 converted, 2 missed.

Dools has missed more than two penalties but I've no idea if that includes all competitive games and shoot outs.  Spittal missed against Livingston last season

More to the point Storey was the penalty taker up at Inverness when Spittal was on the field at the time. Suggests we don't have a designated penalty taker. Probably pick the most successful in training that week (as Storey evidently was) omitting the one who last missed (Storey). Banzo scored a good penalty last time he took one and as captain you would think he'd have stepped up if their was any doubt over Spittal taking it.