Caldwell

Jagsman

19 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Cant just click his fingers and get results. I am sure he didn't use that line when he was being interviewed by the board. We/he needs a positive result soon or it will begin to look like our board has been wrong in hiring him as our manager.

Just let's hope he gets a positive result toute suite or he will became a lame duck manager.

8 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I agree. I actually think the GREATER problem is in attack and has been for a long time and that's saying something given the state of the defence.

Love to see the stats for the past 18 months showing league games played and total shots on target for those games.

Over the last 18 months , the negative tactics of Archibald was the main problem sometimes it was a back 5 with 2 holding midfield players , leaving the forward/s up front on their own.

There is no box to box midfield player to complement and supplement the forwards and get 5 - 10 goals a season . Unfortunately Caldwell seems to have his thinking on the same lines as Archie , if you don’t play attacking football with 4 or 5 players pushing on you don’t score goals , at our level if a forward scores 1 in 3 chances he’s done well , the way our team has been set up that’s a very unlikely scenario.

7 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Over the last 18 months , the negative tactics of Archibald was the main problem sometimes it was a back 5 with 2 holding midfield players , leaving the forward/s up front on their own.

There is no box to box midfield player to complement and supplement the forwards and get 5 - 10 goals a season . Unfortunately Caldwell seems to have his thinking on the same lines as Archie , if you don’t play attacking football with 4 or 5 players pushing on you don’t score goals , at our level if a forward scores 1 in 3 chances he’s done well , the way our team has been set up that’s a very unlikely scenario.

1 in 3 chances. If only. From the official stats

Dunfermline 4 shots = 1 goal  we would have drawn

Ross 10 shots = 3 goals we would have won

Dundee Utd 7 shots = 2 goals we would have drawn

Alloa 21 shots = 7 goals we would have won

Ayr 11 shots = 3 goals we would have won

Morton 12 shots = 4 goals we would have lost, but what a game !)

ICT 12 shots = 4 goals we would have won

By my tally, that is 77 shots and we have scored just 2. An average of 1 in 37.5 attempts. I think that the stats show that our attack is currently a big problem

• Like 1

Watched a film about Barcelona last night ‘Take The Ball Pass The Ball’ - the team could do worse than watch it together. 

What quickly became apparent was that whilst talent obviously helps, hard work & execution of tactics were what really mattered. Anyone who didn’t buy into it or didn’t put in the work, out the door. 

Looked so simple with Xavi explaining it, but the philosophy can only be admired. No hoofing it up the pitch. Play out from the back, make false runs, triangle passing, always have options. I know it’s not easy, but well worth a watch & bizarrely I think it could fit our group of players.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Watched a film about Barcelona last night ‘Take The Ball Pass The Ball’ - the team could do worse than watch it together. 

What quickly became apparent was that whilst talent obviously helps, hard work & execution of tactics were what really mattered. Anyone who didn’t buy into it or didn’t put in the work, out the door. 

Looked so simple with Xavi explaining it, but the philosophy can only be admired. No hoofing it up the pitch. Play out from the back, make false runs, triangle passing, always have options. I know it’s not easy, but well worth a watch & bizarrely I think it could fit our group of players.

The misunderstanding of that Barca style is part of the problem these days I think.  The focus is usually just on how they pass a lot, not how they move without the ball, or how hard they work to get the ball back when they lose it.  

• Like 1

Our players don't have the stamina to make all the off the ball movements to play a Barca style. One of the attractions (tactically) of hoof-ball is that it takes less out of the players. It is easier to play hoof-ball for 90 minues than tippa-tappa. Unfortunately I don't think we have the players for either style. 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

By my tally, that is 77 shots and we have scored just 2. An average of 1 in 37.5 attempts. I think that the stats show that our attack is currently a big problem

Think you’re getting mixed up with shots at goals on target or off target, if you take Morelos at Rangers , think he’s takes roughly 1 out of every 3 chances he’s given because of the we play Doolan etc don’t have that luxury , out of all the games you mentioned the only one we deserved to get anything out of was last weeks Inverness game where it’s fair to say we missed chances ( penalty etc )

9 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Whether they are on target or not and whether we deserved it or not is immaterial. We created 77 opportunities to have a shot, but only 2 of them find the net. That is a problem in my book

If you were at any of these games , you would know there wasn’t 77 opportunities!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paulo said:

The misunderstanding of that Barca style is part of the problem these days I think.  The focus is usually just on how they pass a lot, not how they move without the ball, or how hard they work to get the ball back when they lose it.  

It’s how hard they work & stick to the plan. That’s the key to it. Passing easier if all of your teammates move to make space. Outnumber the opposition - that’s the plan!

• Like 3

Whether they are on target or not and whether we deserved it or not is immaterial. We created 77 opportunities to have a shot, but only 2 of them find the net. That is a problem in my book

I'm stating we're guilty of not creating enough chances. You're indicating the opposite. The only way we'd be both correct is by adding the word quality. I didn't really get past the four shots at East End Pk before I noticed a flaw in those stats. 

I suppose if you include as shots Storey's blasts into orbit and Slater's efforts, which are the strength of a miss hit pass back, then maybe we'd be nearing the 77 mark.  In reality when we're in attack mode the play is too often ended by either the wrong decision or the fella on the ball running out of options.

50 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm stating we're guilty of not creating enough chances. You're indicating the opposite. The only way we'd be both correct is by adding the word quality. I didn't really get past the four shots at East End Pk before I noticed a flaw in those stats. 

I suppose if you include as shots Storey's blasts into orbit and Slater's efforts, which are the strength of a miss hit pass back, then maybe we'd be nearing the 77 mark.  In reality when we're in attack mode the play is too often ended by either the wrong decision or the fella on the ball running out of options.

This is the actual point of xG it tracks the effective quality of the chance

11 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But how many on target out of them

10 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

But how many on target out of them

Does it matter ?

Only 2 hit the net, so if it's skied over the bar, hits the corner flag or scuffed to the keeper it is still a failure. I don't remember any world class saves.

I think that my point is that we may sort out the defense and stop losing, but we won't win until we sort out the attack

Does it matter ?

Only 2 hit the net, so if it's skied over the bar, hits the corner flag or scuffed to the keeper it is still a failure. I don't remember any world class saves.

I think that my point is that we may sort out the defense and stop losing, but we won't win until we sort out the attack

The attack is fine , Doolan , Quitongo  , Erskine have already proved they can score goals at this level but if you set up with 1 up front and no real support from the midfield you aren't going to score a lot of goals , you need to attack as a team getting 4 or 5 players into the box , still believe we've got good players at the club provided they've got the freedom to express themselves .

17 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Personally i believe our team is unbalanced, the players that we have cannot fit into any tactics as we have too much of the one type of player. And most of the squad are mentally weak which also does not help.

Valid points. Midfield in particular is a bit of jack of all trades. too many similar type players.

I don't know about your last point but the manager's comments don't do much to disprove it. It's up to Caldwell to fire the squad up.

Caldwell would never have been my first choice, I'd have gone for Goodwin, McCall, and McIntyre (with or without Dodds) from the managers at our level. But I still think he needs to be given a lot of time to clear out the accumulated dross from the previous regime; January will only be the first stage of that.

I think there was some 'improvement' (or getting less bad) last week; we went from losing 5 to a poor side to losing 1 to a team who could, or ought to be, in contention. If Caldwell saves us from relegation this season, in my view he will have succeeded. He then needs to be allowed to spend in the next close season to complete the process of cutting out the deadwood.

Even so, when you look at Fulham who apparently spent £108m and are still anchored at the bottom (or were when I last looked), it's obvious that you can spend  a lot of money and still achieve nothing.

Further evidence of this improvement, for me, would be to keep a clean sheet today. I think it's going to be a much longer slog than has been generally admitted on here.

7 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

The attack is fine , Doolan , Quitongo  , Erskine have already proved they can score goals at this level but if you set up with 1 up front and no real support from the midfield you aren't going to score a lot of goals , you need to attack as a team getting 4 or 5 players into the box , still believe we've got good players at the club provided they've got the freedom to express themselves .

Neither Doolan or quitongo are proving themselves at scoring goals at this level this season- in fact Doolan has been extremely poor 

Caldwell can get the f**k out as far as I’m concerned. No wins, 2 goals scored, no clean sheets.

Anyone who thinks Scobbie or Storey should be anywhere near a football pitch are off their heads.

Things are no better. We’re hurtling to League 1.

The board took too long to act over the previous regime. They’ve ballsed up with the replacement.

57 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Caldwell can get the f**k out as far as I’m concerned. No wins, 2 goals scored, no clean sheets.

Anyone who thinks Scobbie or Storey should be anywhere near a football pitch are off their heads.

Things are no better. We’re hurtling to League 1.

The board took too long to act over the previous regime. They’ve ballsed up with the replacement.

You keep saying this at every opportunity.

He has only been in charge for 5 games and the last 2 have seen up improve/ play better.

Are you really suggesting we change manager? What happens if we get someone else in and they lose their first 5 games- change again? and so on and so on.?

Changing managers/ management teams is not cheap; it is disruptive and time consuming.

Get a grip on some perspective.

He was talking shite on the radio again. Said we were outstanding. 

Same shite as it was under Archie. Same shite style of play and timid mentality, same shite soundbytes. The subs again today were crap. Against a shite Falkirk team he took off an attacking player for a defensive one, took off one our few players with guts in Quitongo.

Has one single window for me to turn it around. The terrifying thing is I have no idea what sort of players he'll go for, where as I know Ray McKinnon will bring in proven players at this level.

Edited by avie-man

4 minutes ago, Emsca said:

You keep saying this at every opportunity.

He has only been in charge for 5 games and the last 2 have seen up improve/ play better.

Are you really suggesting we change manager? What happens if we get someone else in and they lose their first 5 games- change again? and so on and so on.?

Changing managers/ management teams is not cheap; it is disruptive and time consuming.

Get a grip on some perspective.

I don’t think he’s the right man for the job but I’m not naive enough to think that the club will sack him. I’ve seen nothing to think that he can turn things round. You mention that performances have improved - how many points did we get from the last 2 games? Are you honestly happy getting 1 point from Falkirk today?