Caldwell

Jagsman

On 11/18/2018 at 11:53 AM, westertonjagfan said:

Aye, totally agree with this. The day a player stops after being told from the stands that he's shite and replies  to the shouter that he currently isn't in form and the shouter's perceptive comment is making him really motivated to improve his form is the day I'll join in. Which will never happen.

Ahha. I can provide evidence to the contrary.

Bobby Law , early 80's. Pure pants of a player when he first came into the first team at RB. Many ripped into him for weeks on end. I was at airdries old ground and he'd caused a goal and i was about 2 feet away and gave him a right bollocking. He ripped me back and it went that way for the rest of the second half. Us trading insults. Think we lost 5-1.

Anyways, about a year later he became a mainstay and was a very effective player and his attitude and application was never in doubt. Dedicated to the thistle cause, it was just that he was p!sh. So he turned into a good player so i (showing my age here) wrote a letter to him apologising for the abuse and telling him how much i admired his tenacity and improved form.

Got a lovely letter back, he said the abuse from his own fans motivated him to prove them wrong.. It never made him feel like giving up or to play even worse just to spite the clubs fans.

Doubt you'd find that attitude today but christie elliott reminds me of Bobby Lawman Law. Quite a gent. Took over a milk/dairy farm from his dad i think. I might be wrong but once thistle dispensed with him he refused to play for any other club. Was told dundee and st mirren tried to buy him and he refused to leave. Great servant imho.

On 11/18/2018 at 2:15 PM, jlsarmy said:

Think we need to look at how the season has unfolded so far , there is no chance of promotion in my opinion and I would be quite happy if we avoided relegation and avoided the playoffs to the first division. Whether we get players in the next transfer window , don’t think it will help with promotion aspirations ( currently 20 points behind Ayr and 12 points behind 4th placed Inverness ) and that gap will probably increase before January.

I’m genuinely astounded that promotion was even mentioned at the AGM in light of the way our season has unfolded , think Gerry Britton and Jacqui Lowe need a reality check.

Do they think the supporters are daft ?

Clearly they must. We and falkirk are by some distance the worst two teams i've seen this season. Even alloa look better as a cohesive unit. I'd aettle for mid table safety right now. Give us a chance of re building in the summer.

Another relegation would be catastrophic. Who'd want to manage or play for us in the 1st division???

47 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Clearly they must. We and falkirk are by some distance the worst two teams i've seen this season.

Just going on our game at East End Pk I thought Dunfermline looked poor. I wouldn't put them a distance ahead. But yes, I suppose if you asked the other eight managers what two teams they'd want their clubs to play against, Falkirk & Us would come up tops.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Ahha. I can provide evidence to the contrary.

Bobby Law , early 80's. Pure pants of a player when he first came into the first team at RB. Many ripped into him for weeks on end. I was at airdries old ground and he'd caused a goal and i was about 2 feet away and gave him a right bollocking. He ripped me back and it went that way for the rest of the second half. Us trading insults. Think we lost 5-1.

Anyways, about a year later he became a mainstay and was a very effective player and his attitude and application was never in doubt. Dedicated to the thistle cause, it was just that he was p!sh. So he turned into a good player so i (showing my age here) wrote a letter to him apologising for the abuse and telling him how much i admired his tenacity and improved form.

Got a lovely letter back, he said the abuse from his own fans motivated him to prove them wrong.. It never made him feel like giving up or to play even worse just to spite the clubs fans.

Doubt you'd find that attitude today but christie elliott reminds me of Bobby Lawman Law. Quite a gent. Took over a milk/dairy farm from his dad i think. I might be wrong but once thistle dispensed with him he refused to play for any other club. Was told dundee and st mirren tried to buy him and he refused to leave. Great servant imho.

Similar story, if I remember correctly it was very cold midweek game at Recreation Park, Alloa and I took my young brother. We stood at the front against the metal rail so he could see. Bobby tried to kick the ball up the line and it went straight out. My brother turn to me and said "I could do better than that", which Bobby heard, he came over and with a rye smile said "you probably could son".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

I see from Cammy Bells column in the Sun on Saturday that Caldwell still lives in Manchester. That's a shocker of a commute. Caldwell must leave at 5 in the morning and get back in at 8 at night.

Pep and Jose must be worried for their jobs with him still in the area. Any news on Bell's injury ?

7 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

I see from Cammy Bells column in the Sun on Saturday that Caldwell still lives in Manchester. That's a shocker of a commute. Caldwell must leave at 5 in the morning and get back in at 8 at night.

If I was Gary I wouldn’t buy a house up here just yet !

• Haha 2

On 11/17/2018 at 8:45 PM, milhouse said:

How do you know this? I don’t think Ray MacKinnon has been a particularly successful manager previously.

Eh? He got Raith into the play-offs. Look at them now. He knows a lot more about this league than Caldwell.

Edited by avie-man

11 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Let’s imagine the worst.... defeat in the next two home games, 1 point out of 26... does anyone think he should be kept on and trusted with the January window?

to be clear, I desperately want us to win these games and hope he turns it around

I have to agree with you on this one, lose at home to Dunfermline and Alloa then I think we need to cut him adrift, admit its not worked out and give someone else the Jan window.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Let’s imagine the worst.... defeat in the next two home games, 1 point out of 26... does anyone think he should be kept on and trusted with the January window?

to be clear, I desperately want us to win these games and hope he turns it around

The pressure on him will be unbearable if that scenario unfolds. Can only hope that we somehow turn this around.....

I have said this before, but will say it again. The previous management team had to go. But we had to replace them with the right manager. To date 1 point from 6 games would suggest we haven't done that. For those blaming Archie for leaving a dud squad, remember  we were told that Caldwell had analysed the squad and impressed the board that he could do enough to get us promoted. If I remember correctly the board had to retract a statement saying that Caldwell had not been supported by funds to help him at Chesterfield, where he only managed 3 wins from 28 games. So not a good record at turning round a struggling team. We have 4 games to finish of the year,3 are at home. All our home games are winnable, if we don't pick up at least 7 games in our 4 games before the transfer window I would have serious concerns about giving him funds in the January window.

If Caldwell didn’t have the ability to make an accurate judgement of our current squad when applying for the job  then how can he be trusted to make an accurate judgement of the ‘right’ players to sign in January. Remember his judgement, after careful analysis and producing his famed PowerPoint presentation, was that he could halt the decline and get us in the promotion hunt.

4 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

If Caldwell didn’t have the ability to make an accurate judgement of our current squad when applying for the job  then how can he be trusted to make an accurate judgement of the ‘right’ players to sign in January. Remember his judgement, after careful analysis and producing his famed PowerPoint presentation, was that he could halt the decline and get us in the promotion hunt.

As I said in another thread, it may be that he has inherited something in addition to players underperforming.

Either way, there's been too much mouthing from the board since May, and on Gary's appointment, about promotion being the objective for this season.

The evidence suggesting otherwise is stark.