Caldwell

Jagsman

54 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

We would all be delighted if Caldwell was a success as Thistle manager. His start though suggests otherwise. He has now managed Thistle in 8  games. The same as Archibald in this league before he was sacked. Archibald got 9 points and Caldwell 5 points. Considering  Caldwell was hired to get us promotion a very poor start. Our only hope is we can do a lot of good business both in and out in the January window.

Our 1st 9 league games last season W0 D3 L6 = 3pts

Our 1st 9 season 16-17 W1 D4 L 2 = 7 points

Our 1st 9 season 15-16 W0 D3 L6 = 3 points

Caldwell W1 D 2 L5 = 5 points 

Cant recall many calling for a manager to be sacked that early on

1 hour ago, milhouse said:

I for one would be absolutely delighted for Gary Caldwell to be a resounding success as Thistle manager.

As would I. I haven't called, and am not calling, for his head, I'm just a bit worried that the promised turn around hasn't happened, and doesn't seem to be happening. If anything, on Saturday's performance we seem to be going backwards (following what I honestly thought was a very very slow but steady improvement).

I have felt all along that he needed to get rid of the deadwood, and bring his own players in,  but on the basis of his performance so far, why (apart form the fact that they chose him) should the board trust him to spend any money wisely in the window?

That's the dilemma we're in.

56 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Our 1st 9 league games last season W0 D3 L6 = 3pts

Our 1st 9 season 16-17 W1 D4 L 2 = 7 points

Our 1st 9 season 15-16 W0 D3 L6 = 3 points

Caldwell W1 D 2 L5 = 5 points 

Cant recall many calling for a manager to be sacked that early on

Possibly the quality of the opposition comes into question and to a certain extent a bit of realism there because we were in the Premier League,as well as the popularity of Archie ( playing exploits etc ) This season is different with Gerry Britton, Jacqui Lowe saying they were going for promotion , the reality is very different, 1 point from 6 from part time Alloa , getting knocked out by East Fife in the League Cup, 4 points from the last 24 ,surely our expectations should be a bit higher than that ? , just my opinion if there is no change we will sleepwalk our way to another relegation.

2 hours ago, milhouse said:

Two relegations in the last 2 years” - this isn’t true.

Jim Goodwin is inexperienced. I’m not convinced he would have been the right fit. He could have been appointed, played ultra-defensive, had the same record as Caldwell to date, and the board would have been pilloried as well.

Gary Caldwell got two clubs relegated in the one season!

Is this some kind of record?

Wigan Athletic - managed by Gary Caldwell during the 2016/17 season - RELEGATED

Chesterfied - managed by Gary Caldwell during the 2016/17 season - RELEGATED

Millhouse; I think you must be mixing up Jim Goodwin with Fred Goodwin.

Still........even Fred Goodwin's managerial record is better than Gary Caldwell's.

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Possibly the quality of the opposition comes into question and to a certain extent a bit of realism there because we were in the Premier League,as well as the popularity of Archie ( playing exploits etc ) This season is different with Gerry Britton, Jacqui Lowe saying they were going for promotion , the reality is very different, 1 point from 6 from part time Alloa , getting knocked out by East Fife in the League Cup, 4 points from the last 24 ,surely our expectations should be a bit higher than that ? , just my opinion if there is no change we will sleepwalk our way to another relegation.

I'd say it had very little to do with playing exploits. Archie was a promotion winning manager and in all of these seasons the poor start followed a successful season (under him) in the top flight. In fact, as time went on, the poor starts were being justified on the basis that we'd seen it before and always pulled through.

Either way, Archibald had credit in the bank, based on previous performance. Caldwell doesn't have that. Right now he's just looking like a really bad manager.

17 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Gary Caldwell got two clubs relegated in the one season!

Is this some kind of record?

Wigan Athletic - managed by Gary Caldwell during the 2016/17 season - RELEGATED

Chesterfied - managed by Gary Caldwell during the 2016/17 season - RELEGATED

Millhouse; I think you must be mixing up Jim Goodwin with Fred Goodwin.

Still........even Fred Goodwin's managerial record is better than Gary Caldwell's.

Jackie McNamara managed to do this as well- relegating DU and York in the same season.

As discussed in another thread, Caldwell has inherited 11 duds. In addition 2 legends haven’t been performing at the level of previous years.

Throw in some promising but unproven youngsters and a couple of long terminjuries to important players. It only leaves us with poor old Banzo who is getting back to his best on a pittance.

We definitely got worse under Caldwell before we got (slightly) better. He’s made some strange selection and tactical decisions but he’s been left with a shambles.

I suspect he didn’t appreciate the scale of incompetence and I don’t envy the task he has. He wasn’t my choice but we should all give him our backing and see what magic he can conjure in January.

Having watched league cup games I predicted a relegation struggle as soon as O’Ware was injured. I don’t think Pars, Bairns, Ton or Alloa are any better than we are presently so a few positive ins and outs in January will hopefully see us through.

I hope he gets rid of anyone who is a bad influence in the dressing room, even if we need to pay up contracts because everyone needs to fight for the cause.

• Like 2

Any analysis of relegated teams in the championship tells you it’s highly probable we would not be promotedwhich is why I thought we would finish in the bottom half.....what no one expected is how bad player recruitment has been and how badly established players have performed 

its clear Caldwell has had a bad start but unless you think someone else could perform way better with the squad - imo Archie and Caldwell both struggled with them - then you have to give him time 

• Like 1

This is a very big game for us and could re define the rest of our season. No one really expects us to get anything out of this game, so if we were to get a point it would be viewed as a very good result. A win would be deemed as excellent.

We would then be unbeaten in our last 3 games, it may not be pretty, but at least we would be seen to be picking up points going into the crucial Christmas period.

The next game could be a real turning point. Get a good result up in Dingwall and Gary Caldwell rightly gets the likes of myself to shut up and eat a bit of humble pie.

As long as we don't get tanked a narrow defeat wouldn't be seen as a disaster, but it wouldn't give much cause for cheer either.

Get a result on Saturday and I truly believe it will have a major positive impact on the rest of our season.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:31 PM, Auld Jag said:

If that is true I would be disgusted with Bannigan. I have already said I think he should show us some loyalty and stay until the end of this season. We gave him a contract for 2 years and he hardly kicked a ball for us. Some say he wasn't on a big wage but if we hadn't kept him on I think it is a big possibility he would have been finished in football altogether.

I said at the time if I was wrong about this I would apologise. So sorry Mr Bannigan for doubting  your loyalty to the Thistle cause:worship:. Just back from having a meal out with the wife but as soon as I can eat it, I shall have a large slice of humble pie. Lets hope it is the start of better things to come at Firhill.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I said at the time if I was wrong about this I would apologise. So sorry Mr Bannigan for doubting  your loyalty to the Thistle cause:worship:. Just back from having a meal out with the wife but as soon as I can eat it, I shall have a large slice of humble pie. Lets hope it is the start of better things to come at Firhill.

Aye the good guys always come through. I'd include Banzo and yourself in that. 

:clapping:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

If it is a very large slice, you might need to take your balaclava off to make room for it.

Like you, delighted to have Banzo signed up, and hoping he gets back to scoring the occasional goal as well

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, sandy said:

But your analysis doesn’t explain why Ross County are challenging for promotion.

Actually it might as challenging for promotion isn’t actually getting promotion .....on actual historical results relegated teams generally do not go straight back up ( of course there are exceptions but they are exceptions ) 

45 minutes ago, sandy said:

You may be right. But it’s galling how well RC have done when we have failed so far this season.

Why, Sandy?  Our failure is completely of our own making but you can't really use Roy McGregor Rovers as a yardstick. In fact I'd say County are punching below their weight so far this season.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Why, Sandy?  Our failure is completely of our own making but you can't really use Roy McGregor Rovers as a yardstick. In fact I'd say County are punching below their weight so far this season.

Simply because we finished above them last season. We were good enough to do that, now we are floundering in their wake.

18 hours ago, partickthedog said:

If it is a very large slice, you might need to take your balaclava off to make room for it.

Like you, delighted to have Banzo signed up, and hoping he gets back to scoring the occasional goal as well

The balaclava stays on in this weather.:ph34r: You never know some of the players might see somebody with a balaclava in the crowd, remind them of their time with the SAS and they will up their game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sandy said:

Simply because we finished above them last season. We were good enough to do that, now we are floundering in their wake.

So the money Uncle Roy threw at them last season went to waste. That doesn't mean that the money he's throwing at them this year will have a similar effect. We're floundering in the wake of Ayr Utd, Morton, Pars, Queen of the South etc and that's extremely embarrassing. Trailing to a club that doesn't appear to have a rational player budget is more a fact of life. Certainly nothing to be embarrassed about.  

41 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

So the money Uncle Roy threw at them last season went to waste. That doesn't mean that the money he's throwing at them this year will have a similar effect. We're floundering in the wake of Ayr Utd, Morton, Pars, Queen of the South etc and that's extremely embarrassing. Trailing to a club that doesn't appear to have a rational player budget is more a fact of life. Certainly nothing to be embarrassed about.  

I’m not sure using Ross County re player budget is that relevant in our league, think a lot of their budget is really about attracting players to Dingwall and obviously a lot of their players relocating . When you take into account that part time Alloa have taken 4 points out of 6 from us and Ayr United are top of the league then I’m not sure the budget theories come into play at all.

IMO , our problems have came from mismanagement in terms of the standard of players we’ve recruited and also the balance of the squad . Whether the January window can sort this is doubtful , probably coming down to getting contracted players to move on .