Caldwell

Jagsman

11 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I'm new to the forum, so please excuse the odd stupid question and my general naivety. I think the protest suggested by 'Thistleberight' is an excellent idea as it highlights to the board and Caldwell that we do not have confidence in them, and certainly don't have confidence it Caldwell going out into the market place to buy 'his type of player'. The thought that Caldwell will be allowed to bring in his own choice of player is one that frankly scares me.

Now here is my first 'stupid' question …. what was wrong with considering John Hughes for the post? I saw a few comments at the time of Archie's leaving that listed the people who should never be considered for the managers job at Thistle, and John Hughes was one. Wonder why?

Sorry! Too daft a question to answer!

27 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Now here is my first 'stupid' question …. what was wrong with considering John Hughes for the post? I saw a few comments at the time of Archie's leaving that listed the people who should never be considered for the managers job at Thistle, and John Hughes was one. Wonder why?

If the choice was Caldwell or Hughes I would chosen Hughes however there where and are far better options. Jim Goodwin would have been my preference (assuming McCall is not interested) beyond that and in no particular order the following would have been better than Caldwell

Danny Lennon, Derek Adams, Darren Young

Those that fell into the same category as Hughes (better than Caldwell but not desirable)

Pressley, Duffy, McIntrye, Hartley, Butcher, McCann, Davies, Coyle

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I'm new to the forum, so please excuse the odd stupid question and my general naivety. I think the protest suggested by 'Thistleberight' is an excellent idea as it highlights to the board and Caldwell that we do not have confidence in them, and certainly don't have confidence it Caldwell going out into the market place to buy 'his type of player'. The thought that Caldwell will be allowed to bring in his own choice of player is one that frankly scares me.

Personally I don't want any of the managerial merry-go-round guys like Hughes.  Having seen  Alloa and been impressed,  I would like to see Jim Goodwin if Caldwell falls on his @rse as seems likely.

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Sorry! Too daft a question to answer!

Apologies for my flippancy but you will need to be immune to this kind of comment.

I would have been happy with Hughes who did well @ Caley then had funding withdrawn. He was pretty inspirational which is exactly what Archie and Caldwell are not. His teams also scored some goals so at least we’d have been entertained.

Does anyone know how many candidates were actually interviewed - the Club has never actually stated it interviewed a number of candidates - it talked up the quality of candidates - so surely they intervied at least 6 - short list two / second round of interviews - one is chosen 

just seems strange that not one other name has been mentioned in the press as being interviewed- given the great quality of candidates - not even the other person who made the shortlist ? 

9 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Does anyone know how many candidates were actually interviewed - the Club has never actually stated it interviewed a number of candidates - it talked up the quality of candidates - so surely they intervied at least 6 - short list two / second round of interviews - one is chosen 

just seems strange that not one other name has been mentioned in the press as being interviewed- given the great quality of candidates - not even the other person who made the shortlist ? 

What I heard was only one person was interviewed, plus Neilson was approached (after agreeing terms with DUFC) others who publicly stated they were interested (Hughes, Duffy) never got an interview 

9 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I was told at the time that three were interviewed. Duffy, McIntyre and Caldwell.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

What I heard was only one person was interviewed, plus Neilson was approached (after agreeing terms with DUFC) others who publicly stated they were interested (Hughes, Duffy) never got an interview 

This was the first manager of a football club either Gerry Britton, or Jacqui low had ever interviewed for, and we only interviews in candidate and then talked him up in the press release? In comparison to what, or who?   You would think they would want to interview more rather than less candidates a to hefbit right and b to find their feet as to interviewing for a football manager  

this actually utterly defies belief. But doesn’t at the same time!

• Like 1

Remove Caldwell anytime before the end of the season and we're still creating the same problem that existed back in the autumn. In fact more so as we could probably count out getting anyone in a job at present. The "free" applicants will still be the same old fodder. Ideally we want to get to a league position where we're comfortably mid table (difficult in a wee silly league). We could then appoint an interim manager from within the Club. That could be Doolan, Britton/Allison, Jamie Sneddon for all it would matter if the worst we could finish was 8th place.

Trouble is it's difficult seeing us reach safety under the present regime. Difficult to believe that Caldwell will bring the right players in next month. I'm not even confident he'll release the right players and he's hardly short of numbers in that regard. I struggle to see any real improvement since he took over but at the same time I'm far from sure we can afford (in more than one meaning) to replace him. Even if I had faith in the Club/Board's recruitment, I doubt we'd be able to bring in a quality replacement, not even second, third or fourth best. 

• Like 2

Just now, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Remove Caldwell anytime before the end of the season and we're still creating the same problem that existed back in the autumn. In fact more so as we could probably count out getting anyone in a job at present. The "free" applicants will still be the same old fodder. Ideally we want to get to a league position where we're comfortably mid table (difficult in a wee silly league). We could then appoint an interim manager from within the Club. That could be Doolan, Britton/Allison, Jamie Sneddon for all it would matter if the worst we could finish was 8th place.

Trouble is it's difficult seeing us reach safety under the present regime. Difficult to believe that Caldwell will bring the right players in next month. I'm not even confident he'll release the right players and he's hardly short of numbers in that regard. I struggle to see any real improvement since he took over but at the same time I'm far from sure we can afford (in more than one meaning) to replace him. Even if I had faith in the Club/Board's recruitment, I doubt we'd be able to bring in a quality replacement, not even second, third or fourth best. 

Excellent post. The real worry is now that the board have boxed themselves in with this dreadful appointment. And of course their aactions are putting the club in peril.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

I hope that this isnt correct - that we only interviewed one person - even interviewing only two isnt acceptable- given how much they talked up the quality of the candidates and if your correct and Yogi didnt get an interview thats frankly scary - not asking you to reveal sources- plus there are lots of rumours in football - but I certianly think that the Club should be quashing something like this with a statement as to how many candidates were physically interviewed formally 

This is the key decision a Board makes im honestly hoping that its not true that one ( maybe two) were only interviewed 

23 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I hope that this isnt correct - that we only interviewed one person - even interviewing only two isnt acceptable- given how much they talked up the quality of the candidates and if your correct and Yogi didnt get an interview thats frankly scary - not asking you to reveal sources- plus there are lots of rumours in football - but I certianly think that the Club should be quashing something like this with a statement as to how many candidates were physically interviewed formally 

This is the key decision a Board makes im honestly hoping that its not true that one ( maybe two) were only interviewed 

I am not an expert on employment law, far from it. I just assumed that they had to go through the motions and offer the vacancy to all comers. However,  under the circumstances, I would have expected the club to have approached and sounded out their preferred choice's well in advance.

Hopefully the club were fully proactive in their search for our new manager and didn't rely solely upon various candidates forwarding their CV's directly to the club.

More often than not you have to chase and hunt down the best people. You just can't rely on them to beating a pathway to your door.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

the question is , do we have an opt out clause on his 2 year contract

This is a key point. It would have been sensible to build in a review point at Xmas - with the option to dispense with his services if no progress was being made towards the target of promotion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandy said:

This is a key point. It would have been sensible to build in a review point at Xmas - with the option to dispense with his services if no progress was being made towards the target of promotion.

Maybe this is why the monthly communication video from our chairperson is long overdue. Then again it's just as likely we're waiting on a golden piano for a backdrop.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree. LIB is a forum member I like to read, as I have always found them to have a balanced point of view. This post is imo a very good barometer of where the club is at the moment. When posters like LIB have no confidence in the manager it really does show that we are in trouble.

• Like 1