Caldwell

Jagsman

17 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I doubt Goodwin even applied for the post. He's happy with being part time and will only leave Alloa for a better paying full time job than we can offer.

Who knows LIB, who knows what's gone on or what's going on?

You outline some of the problems coursing through our club.

Why didn't we actively go after and hunt down a suitable replacement before we dispensed with the services of our long term manager? Why did we rely only upon applications? Is it due to naivety or is it down to the self importance of those in charge, who wanted a sycophantic beauty pageant, with eager job applicants willing to dance to their tune?

Like him or loathe him, Jim Goodwin is an ambitious young manager learning his trade. The Thistle job would be ideal for him as we are a club with massive unfulfilled potential and we don't sack (decent) managers at the drop of a hat.

It's funny, when Jim was suggested for the Thistle job at the end of last season, some protested that he was thug, a pshycopath and generally unfit to hold the position of manager.

Then, when looking for a new manager during October, many of these people now claimed Jim was not a big enough name, did not have the experience and was a manager of a small fry club below us in the table.

Now some are saying; Jim is happy where he is, we can't possibly afford him and we are not a big enough club for him!

One thing is for sure. If the people tasked with running our club, had half the determination, fight and ambition of Jim Goodwin, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

8 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

You outline some of the problems coursing through our club.

Why didn't we actively go after and hunt down a suitable replacement before we dispensed with the services of our long term manager? Why did we rely only upon applications? Is it due to naivety or is it down to the self importance of those in charge, who wanted a sycophantic beauty pageant, with eager job applicants willing to dance to their tune?

Like him or loathe him, Jim Goodwin is an ambitious young manager learning his trade. The Thistle job would be ideal for him as we are a club with massive unfulfilled potential and we don't sack (decent) managers at the drop of a hat.

It's funny, when Jim was suggested for the Thistle job at the end of last season, some protested that he was thug, a pshycopath and generally unfit to hold the position of manager.

Then, when looking for a new manager during October, many of these people now claimed Jim was not a big enough name, did not have the experience and was a manager of a small fry club below us in the table.

Now some are saying; Jim is happy where he is, we can't possibly afford him and we are not a big enough club for him!

One thing is for sure. If the people tasked with running our club, had half the determination, fight and ambition of Jim Goodwin, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

Think when the Board were looking at prospective Managers , they were looking at who was available rightly or wrongly because of possibly compensation from other clubs if the manager was still in employment, probably more a financial decision than anything else , not strictly the best candidate.

And now we’re back round to exactly the same way of thinking, can we afford to sack Caldwell or afford not to , thinking of the implications of another relegation and the financial Armageddon that would cause .Into the bargain we’re still paying up contracts for Archie , Shaggy and possibly Scott Mckenzie .

Mismanagement of the highest order 

5 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The mis management was not changing manager after losing 4-0 to Ross c last season .... then keeping the manager into this season that any analysis would show was likely to end in failure and it had

This. And so it continues with Low ready to give Caldwell the keys to the safe for the transfer window. Yet she would never have hired him if she had known he would win just one game out of ten.

29 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

Don't want to come across "as in the know" but my comments re Goodwin come from a reasonable source.

He'll no doubt go into full time management if he continues to impress at Alloa. It's thought he'd wait till a bigger club comes a calling or at least a club in the top tier.  Who knows if he was actively pursued for the gig it might be different. I'm just saying that according to what I heard he's in no hurry to go into full time management.

When you're in the sh!t to the degree we are at the present time, there's no clear and obvious answer that's going to suddenly turn things round. But, despite what's been claimed regarding Ian McCall saying Ayr will be his last management job, he would take the job. 

He didn't want to take over directly from Archie for reasons of loyalty, but he would take it now. I'm not going to say how I know this, but I do just the same.

There might not be a red carpet and fanfare of trumpets for McCall's return from all corners of the support, but I'd have him back in a breath. To rehash a cliche bandied about at the time of his first appointment, he would stop the bleeding, as he did then. This situation is desperate and not going to get better under Caldwell. We need Ian McCall back and soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't want to come across "as in the know" but my comments re Goodwin come from a reasonable source.

He'll no doubt go into full time management if he continues to impress at Alloa. It's thought he'd wait till a bigger club comes a calling or at least a club in the top tier.  Who knows if he was actively pursued for the gig it might be different. I'm just saying that according to what I heard he's in no hurry to go into full time management.

Fair comment LIB.

Let's be honest the longer the season goes on, the less the table lies and if we carry on in the same vein, the likelihood is that we're going down.

I have nothing against Gary Caldwell, he may well be a decent enough chap. It's his record that's the problem, it's grim. Because of his dubious record, the alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear, before a contract was typed up, never mind signed. Now we appear to be saddled with a lame duck manager with no get out clause. This was all very predictable.

Therefore. I don't blame Gary Caldwell, I blame the people who appointed him. They should have seen this fiasco coming a mile off.

It's a real mess.

7 minutes ago, Blackpool Jags said:

When you're in the sh!t to the degree we are at the present time, there's no clear and obvious answer that's going to suddenly turn things round. But, despite what's been claimed regarding Ian McCall saying Ayr will be his last management job, he would take the job. 

He didn't want to take over directly from Archie for reasons of loyalty, but he would take it now. I'm not going to say how I know this, but I do just the same.

There might not be a red carpet and fanfare of trumpets for McCall's return from all corners of the support, but I'd have him back in a breath. To rehash a cliche bandied about at the time of his first appointment, he would stop the bleeding, as he did then. This situation is desperate and not going to get better under Caldwell. We need Ian McCall back and soon.

I would be delighted to have Ian McCall as manager. He's a great manager :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blackpool Jags said:

I think there would be a Red(and Yellow) carpet for McCall. If anybody needs proof of how good a manager he is look at what he has done at Ayr, with a team that on paper our squad and a number of others in this league should be better than.

12 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I think there would be a Red(and Yellow) carpet for McCall. If anybody needs proof of how good a manager he is look at what he has done at Ayr, with a team that on paper our squad and a number of others in this league should be better than.

If true I think 100 pc of our fans would support this. Would he really walk away considering where Ayr are....have my doubts.

Maybe if Shankland was sold and his best players too he might think he’d taken them as far as he could.. McCall undoubtedly got the ball rolling for us after the bunnet left. He laid the foundations that McNamara and then Archie built on until it eventually crumbled. He’s always stated his desire to return. Maybe we stumble on to the end of the season and the timing might be right for his return..

Chat on Swansea City forum suggests they are actively chasing Shankland and have already had a 200K knocked back. Also recent newspaper article here about same.

I agree with JAG1970, McCall may be tempted to leave if his best player is sold however it may depend if is given the these funds to rebuild the Ayr team.

All immaterial however; there is no way that J-Lo is getting rid of her blue eyed boy, she's confirmed that his costed January wish list has been approved and that he has her full support.

40 minutes ago, Sinistar said:

Chat on Swansea City forum suggests they are actively chasing Shankland and have already had a 200K knocked back. Also recent newspaper article here about same.

I agree with JAG1970, McCall may be tempted to leave if his best player is sold however it may depend if is given the these funds to rebuild the Ayr team.

All immaterial however; there is no way that J-Lo is getting rid of her blue eyed boy, she's confirmed that his costed January wish list has been approved and that he has her full support.

We can only hope the confidence vote from the chair has its usual outcome. They get sacked within a week or so after it is given. If not we really need a January window like no other, where we get a number of players in who can turn this around. Although Morton are only 1 point of5th they were terrible and that first half was one of the worst I have seen all season. If this team was organised and motivated I think we would be up where Morton are not 5 points behind part time Alloa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

We can only hope the confidence vote from the chair has its usual outcome. They get sacked within a week or so after it is given. If not we really need a January window like no other, where we get a number of players in who can turn this around. Although Morton are only 1 point of5th they were terrible and that first half was one of the worst I have seen all season. If this team was organised and motivated I think we would be up where Morton are not 5 points behind part time Alloa.

Absolutely. There was a flicker of encouragement in the second half when we looked motivated, but still too many on the park devoid of the basics required for a full scale revival. As you say, a great January window required, with the requisite clear out of existing scrap, inc. Caldwell.

Operation 'Get Corky.'

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:40 PM, policemans whistle said:

I was asked a question last night -apart from Gary McKay Steven, can you name any other Scottish internationalist with a double- barrelled name. The answer                                                            Gary F@cking Caldwell!

Craig Mackail-Smith

Considering Archie delivered 2 seasons of shite right through transfer windows into the bargain was happy with the change. Since then the tactical ineptitude and utter bullshit coming from management has given me the fear.  Superb perfomances? Wtf.  Consistent picking of no mark duds while players we know can perform are played out of position if at all. The January window has to be a success but am scared that just wont happen. Am not doubting that the signings made are better than some of the guff Archie brought in but has GC shown any siggn of bein able to ditch this losers mentality. Or play them in effective positions. ???. Has to be soon. Tannadice would b a good start.

4 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Another game without a win and now sitting bottom of the table. We’ve gone backwards under Caldwell.

Time for him to go.

Played well first half. Should have been another goal up.

Second half they came into it more but got a soft penalty from Nesbitt going down like he was shot.

Don't get me wrong we were very defensive/ pushed back second half and lost our attacking impetus.

I assume you didn't go today?

1 minute ago, jagfox said:

Played well first half. Should have been another goal up.

Second half they came into it more but got a soft penalty from Nesbitt going down like he was shot.

Don't get me wrong we were very defensive/ pushed back second half and lost our attacking impetus.

I assume you didn't go today?

No I didn’t go today. And I appreciate your synopsis of the game.

But regardless of how we played or how soft their penalty was, bottom line is that we didn’t win. Again. Caldwell has taken us backward. We’re bottom of the league. Draws aren’t good enough. Could have, should have just doesn’t cut it.

1 win in 11 surely isn’t acceptable?

• Like 1

Just now, Big Col said:

No I didn’t go today. And I appreciate your synopsis of the game.

But regardless of how we played or how soft their penalty was, bottom line is that we didn’t win. Again. Caldwell has taken us backward. We’re bottom of the league. Draws aren’t good enough. Could have, should have just doesn’t cut it.

1 win in 11 surely isn’t acceptable?

Surely now he’s signed the new players we have to accept that he gets time to make it gel?

The next 3 games at home are huge. Decision time after those games I think if we haven’t done the business.

39 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Another game without a win and now sitting bottom of the table. We’ve gone backwards under Caldwell.

Time for him to go.

That is clearly not going to happen , no matter how much you keep asking for it.

I was not there either but from what has been reported/ posted, it was a much improved performance. Yes facts are facts and cannot be argued against, but he is going to be given at least the next couple of months- so in my view we might as well accept that, support the team and hope that improved performances translate into results. 

I was at game. 

I am also very very very sceptical of Gary Caldwell. 

Hiwever, in the first half today he got the tactics spot on and the players perfectly motivated.  There was aggression about the team and attaching intent. It was refreshing. 

I think it was a good point in the end. And I am happy with Caldwell tonight - I think we lost our way a bit later in second half but all in all tonight I would praise him rather than criticise. His challenge will come when we have to either change shape or when teams work out our shape and how to play against it.  And also with both Harkins and Saunders unable to last 90 mins we only have 1 sub in reality for the next few games. 

• Like 1