Caldwell

Jagsman

21 minutes ago, Emsca said:

That is clearly not going to happen , no matter how much you keep asking for it.

I was not there either but from what has been reported/ posted, it was a much improved performance. Yes facts are facts and cannot be argued against, but he is going to be given at least the next couple of months- so in my view we might as well accept that, support the team and hope that improved performances translate into results. 

We are all hoping that things improve and we start winning  but the omens aren’t good. 1 win in 11 is a shocking stat and worse than the manager he replaced.

I’ll have everything crossed at Firhill next week for what is the biggest game of the season in my book. Lose that and we are in big trouble. 

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

Another game without a win and now sitting bottom of the table. We’ve gone backwards under Caldwell.

Time for him to go.

Sorry we played well today and if they had a different keeper between the sticks we’d have been 3 up at half time, penalty looked soft on TV, that’s the best result against the Arabs we’ve had this season and our 2nd point away from home under both managers, I see today as an improvement 

7 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Sorry we played well today and if they had a different keeper between the sticks we’d have been 3 up at half time, penalty looked soft on TV, that’s the best result against the Arabs we’ve had this season and our 2nd point away from home under both managers, I see today as an improvement 

We didn’t win. We’re bottom of the league. 

Not a fan of Caldwell but a point away to the arabs only looks like a bad result due to Falkirk's win at Ayr.

Next week is a huge game. It doesn't matter how well we play next we just can't afford not to win. With only 1 game at home in February our opprotunities for getting 3 points are very limited.

If we lose and Alloa beat Morton at home we would be 4 points behind Falkirk and 8 behind Alloa. Momentum would be with Falkirk and its defies belief that we wouldn't be looking at getting rid of Caldwell in that scenario.

I hope Caldwelll wins next week and goes on a run that proves all the doubters (me included) wrong as we are fast running out of time to avoid the drop.

58 minutes ago, Big Col said:

We are all hoping that things improve and we start winning  but the omens aren’t good. 1 win in 11 is a shocking stat and worse than the manager he replaced.

I’ll have everything crossed at Firhill next week for what is the biggest game of the season in my book. Lose that and we are in big trouble. 

The players that were signed in the summer largely should never have been signed. McCall or Goodwin would never have signed them I don’t think Caldwell would have either. While McCall and Goodwin would have got a few more points than Caldwell even they would have struggled with these players, remember they too would have been stuck with them till a few days ago.  Do you really think Brice or mcginty and any numerous others would have been brought in by even Caldwell in the summer let alone Goodwin or McCall.

this argument that Archie got more points is not fully convincing- yes factually he did but given he signed many of these chancers then out of loyalty to the man they should have played out of their skin when Archie’s head was on the block they didn’t and treated him with contempt. Therefore not convinced they would have for anyone else because these players are simply not good enough if they were not prepared to do so for the manager who gave them a chance in the first place.

I don’t think you realise how bad some of these players were that we bought last summer and I’m sure Gerry Britton sanctioned Archie’s signings of them. 

Do you really think these chancers would have won so many more games under other managers? Do you not think we should have signed better? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

The players that were signed in the summer largely should never have been signed. McCall or Goodwin would never have signed them I don’t think Caldwell would have either. While McCall and Goodwin would have got a few more points than Caldwell even they would have struggled with these players, remember they too would have been stuck with them till a few days ago.  Do you really think Brice or mcginty and any numerous others would have been brought in by even Caldwell in the summer let alone Goodwin or McCall.

this argument that Archie got more points is not fully convincing- yes factually he did but given he signed many of these chancers then out of loyalty to the man they should have played out of their skin when Archie’s head was on the block they didn’t and treated him with contempt. Therefore not convinced they would have for anyone else because these players are simply not good enough if they were not prepared to do so for the manager who gave them a chance in the first place.

I don’t think you realise how bad some of these players were that we bought last summer and I’m sure Gerry Britton sanctioned Archie’s signings of them. 

Do you really think these chancers would have won so many more games under other managers? Do you not think we should have signed better? 

Spot on. The source of all our problems stem with Archie I'm afraid. As many have stated the home games this month will make or break the season. Calling for the managers head every single game is utterly boring. It was boring when it happened often during Archies tenure and remains that way now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

Bigger trouble. One way to look at it is I would say this was our best away performance in a long time. 

Next week we must fight like wolves!

50 minutes ago, laukat said:

Not a fan of Caldwell but a point away to the arabs only looks like a bad result due to Falkirk's win at Ayr.

Next week is a huge game. It doesn't matter how well we play next we just can't afford not to win. With only 1 game at home in February our opprotunities for getting 3 points are very limited.

If we lose and Alloa beat Morton at home we would be 4 points behind Falkirk and 8 behind Alloa. Momentum would be with Falkirk and its defies belief that we wouldn't be looking at getting rid of Caldwell in that scenario.

I hope Caldwelll wins next week and goes on a run that proves all the doubters (me included) wrong as we are fast running out of time to avoid the drop.

Imo it feels like a bad result because we have only managed 1 win under Caldwell in 11 games. His tenure at Firhill has a very depressingly similarity to his last season at Wigan and his reign as Chesterfield manager. Neither finished well for these clubs.

17 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

100% agree about the signings for this season - they’ve been dreadful. I’ve seen many a bad player at Firhill but this lot really are terrible. But that was a feature of Archibald - poor transfer dealings that truly was abysmal last summer.  If Archibald had been sacked when he should have been, we wouldn’t have been landed with so many duds. But we are where we are. 

11 minutes ago, sandy said:

So far we are going backwards with Caldwell. That needs to change very soon.

We must beat Falkirk no matter what. If they beat us they will be 4 points ahead. If that happens we might as well look at changing leagues with a certain Mr D,Campbell's team.Even a draw would not be good, as I feel we really need to beat the teams round about us at home.

15 minutes ago, sandy said:

So far we are going backwards with Caldwell. That needs to change very soon.

Maybe not now he has got his own players starting to come in rather than Archie’s. Then again we should have got rid of Archie in the summer and we could have got Hopkin or Goodwin in, but instead guys like you wanted Archie kept at all costs 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Spot on. The source of all our problems stem with Archie I'm afraid. As many have stated the home games this month will make or break the season. Calling for the managers head every single game is utterly boring. It was boring when it happened often during Archies tenure and remains that way now. 

Personally, assuming it wasn't financially crippling, I'd have said farewell to Caldwell this time last week. But I agree it's tedious continuing calling for his sacking every week.

There comes a time when Caldwell leaving can have no positive effect after that it'll be to our immediate detriment. I'd suggest we're just about reached that stage. I am not sure that we're not there already. 

Next week's game is obviously important but I don't believe it will be make or break for Caldwell. I think he'll be able to argue his squad changes need longer to gel. My concern is more about how easily Neilson can counteract our 1st half threat today and how little Caldwell can do to spoil that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Personally, assuming it wasn't financially crippling, I'd have said farewell to Caldwell this time last week. But I agree it's tedious continuing calling for his sacking every week.

There comes a time when Caldwell leaving can have no positive effect after that it'll be to our immediate detriment. I'd suggest we're just about reached that stage. I am not sure that we're not there already. 

Next week's game is obviously important but I don't believe it will be make or break for Caldwell. I think he'll be able to argue his squad changes need longer to gel. My concern is more about how easily Neilson can counteract our 1st half threat today and how little Caldwell can do to spoil that. 

So we are stuck with him , no matter what.:help:

21 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Maybe not now he has got his own players starting to come in rather than Archie’s. Then again we should have got rid of Archie in the summer and we could have got Hopkin or Goodwin in, but instead guys like you wanted Archie kept at all costs 

All If’s But’s and Maybe’s. 

Tonight we are foot of the table; that is not acceptable.

Just now, sandy said:

All If’s But’s and Maybe’s. 

Tonight we are foot of the table; that is not acceptable.

It’s not buts and maybes to say if Archie had been punted we would have got a better manager (not Caldwell we could have got far better ) and better players (dick Campbell would have struggled to sign worse) but your constant inability to see no wrong at all in anything Archie done means you can’t see the obvious 

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

It’s not buts and maybes to say if Archie had been punted we would have got a better manager (not Caldwell we could have got far better ) and better players (dick Campbell would have struggled to sign worse) but your constant inability to see no wrong at all in anything Archie done means you can’t see the obvious 

Caldwell would have applied. We  could have/probably still ended up with him.

18 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Caldwell would have applied. We  could have/probably still ended up with him.

But we likely would not have had those players, he clearly doesn’t rate many of them. Not convinced he would have rushed to sign mcginty, Brice, mutumbo, bell, etc etc 

the dross signed is a massive part also why we are where we are

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

But we likely would not have had those players, he clearly doesn’t rate many of them. Not convinced he would have rushed to sign mcginty, Brice, mutumbo, bell, etc etc 

the dross signed is a massive part also why we are where we are

How many people would have looked at our squad and Alloa's squad and predicted we would be 5 points behind them ? I don't think our squad is as bad as some others do. Also if you look at Caldwell's signings at Wigan in his last season and his time at Chesterfield, they didn't bring any success as both times they were relegated.  

26 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

You are still talking hypothetically. Who was out there that would have applied last summer?

Archie wasnt perfect, but did achieve as a player, captain and rookie manager with Thistle. He had credit with the fans because of that; the Board gave him a chance to work for promotion again.

Caldwell has started from ground zero, but so far has delivered less than Archie. That much is the obvious part.