Caldwell

Jagsman

13 hours ago, jaf said:

I think we looked good in the first half, but equally Dundee United were awful. Our shape worked and seemed to confuse them. I thought it was our best 45 minutes of football for a long long time.

But when you look at this table regarding the last ten matches, you see luck is not an excuse. Luck in itself does not lead to this.........

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=11

Bottom of the last 10 matches form table - 5 points behind nearest team

Bottom of the last 6 matches form table

Bottom of the last 6 away matches form table

Second bottom of the last 6 home matches form table - on goal difference

This is the fact based reality, and has little to do with luck.

That's an interesting table Jaf. It makes for pretty grim reading though. Hopefully our fortunes will soon take a turn for the better.

Dundee Utd's form over the last 6 is nothing to shout about and ICT are currently dropping like a stone.

45 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I think Coulliabys agent has been very clever throughout this whole carryon. I expect Souleymane to be fully fit in the summer and go to someone like Killie. I can’t help but feel Partick Thistle has been used by Souleymanes agent 

Add to that the agents of so many other liabilities over the years!

Edited by Jaggernaut

16 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan would not be my first choice of candidates for the Thistle job. Jim Goodwin or Ian McCall would be my preferred choice. But we are where we are and that's that.

However, let's suppose (not saying that it's going to happen) that Gary Caldwell's transfer dealings don't turn our fortunes around and we are still bottom of the league in 3 to 4 games. Then what? What would you be saying then?

From Gary Caldwell's point of view, it's a smart move to get rid of Erskine immediately, as it kills the option of a Erskine and Doolan management team replacing Caldwell and Kerr, who would then be able to secure their coats on the shoogly peg for a little while longer.

You may well be right and it is too early for Erskine and Doolan. However, sometimes you just have to take your chances when and where they come along. It's perhaps now or never.

Erskine and Doolan are clever men with good footballing brains and are loyal to our cause. If some of the leading lights at our club put in as much effort in trying to save us from the drop as they do practicing self promotion and self preservation, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

We could do an awful lot worse than Erskine and Doolan.

Doolan as captain doesn’t seem to have had a great influence as a leader on the pitch as captain. Where was these guys leadership experience in the playoffs.  We could do much much better than these 2 - we are in a relegation battle this is not the time to try out 2 complete novices

42 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Doolan as captain doesn’t seem to have had a great influence as a leader on the pitch as captain. Where was these guys leadership experience in the playoffs.  We could do much much better than these 2 - we are in a relegation battle this is not the time to try out 2 complete novices

This mess is not of our making Third Lanark.

We are still paying for Alan Archibald and Scott Paterson.

If our form continues to flat line and we were to fire Gary Caldwell and Brian Kerr (assuming there's no get out clause) we will also be paying them.

To lure Jim Goodwin from Alloa, or Ian McCall from Ayr Utd wouldn't be cheap, I have my doubts that the club could, or would pay for 3 sets of management contracts at the one time.

Currently there's an option, if improvement under Caldwell and Kerr fails to materialise, to appoint Erskine and Doolan as managers with immediate effect. This would cost the club little as both players are on the books.

They are novices and you're right, it would be a total gamble. Nevertheless, it's still a viable option. However, if Chris Erskine is shown the door during this transfer window, it will be an option we are no longer able to employ.

Right now, we should be keeping all our options open :)

Edited by AndyMac

9 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Been told there has been a bust up between Erskine and Caldwell at training today   after he told Squiddy he was free to find another Club .

The arrogance of Caldwell has no limits , surely you want guys like Erskine and Doolan on your side as an example to the young players .

Players like Erskine, Doolan , Elliott, Bannigan who have spent a long time at the Club surely deserve a little bit of respect, Caldwell is chipping away at the fabric of the Club which is a nonsense for someone who has been there 3 months.

Commonsense would tell you don’t want a split dressing room , think it’s a huge mistake as Chris Erskine is one player who genuinely cares about Partick Thistle and the way things are going.

So on investigation it emerges ....

caldwell has told erskine he can leave if he wants

caldwell told him he rates him

but he might not get as much game time as he wants 

not quite as presented 

8 hours ago, javeajag said:

As you weren’t there so you do t know what was said and how and by whom......maybe it was the arrogance of erskine demanding to start every week ? And if Caldwell did say he should find another club how is that arrogant ? 

I agree Erskine cares about the club but there is a debate on his playing contribution over the last 18 months 

You obviously have not spent time in Erskine’s company. The one thing he is not is arrogant. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Excellent. What would you do this Saturday? Would you change the team that played reasonably well against Dundee United? 

Cant argue on last weeks game as i didn't make that one. Glad you're supportive of my appointment though.

First change, fitzpatrick for storey. In fact i'd orchestrate a training ground bust up and tell him to find another club. That has the added benefit of sending a message to the players that even the star turn isn't safe...........:D

5 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Gary Caldwell wants Chris Erskine out the door asap. Erskine is an obvious candidate for Caldwell's Job.

Exactly the same could be said about Kris Doolan. However it's a bit trickier trying to bin someone during their testimonial season.

Erskine and Doolan as a double act, are currently idealy placed to take over the management reigns with immediate effect. Caldwell knows this only too well. Hence, Erskine has to go.

Onto something

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

An obvious candidate? Erskine hasn’t managed or coach before so I very much doubt he would be an obvious choice

also where do you get this Doolan and erskine are ideal to take over the management reigns- ideal over Jim Goodwin? Ian McCall? billy Reid? I don’t think so. 

Just like Britton and whyte were ideal to take over? Even now there’s question marks over the overall success of Archie and Paterson- promotion, top 6, keeping us up so many years yes - but it wasn’t all perfect- struggled to sign decent players- some yes but there best players I always thought were largely McCall and McNamaras, some absolute wasters such as many in the currently squad could be identified as, relegation, complete failure to motivate a team in the playoffs etc

so I would love to know how they are ideal never having managed in their lives or be an obvious choice over someone like Jim Goodwin

And why are you getting all excited by goodwin?

You are forgetting to factor in the boards incompetence if they were to get rid of caldwell.

Not a huge fan of Caldwell at all but if Erskine chooses to leave it will be his choice. Just like it was last time and he realised the grass isn't always greener.

He has a decision to make based on playing football. Not income. So if he chooses to leave its his choice. 

As much as he has done for us over the years, it shouldn't be forgotten he jumped ship at first opportunity. 

I'd like him to stay and prove me wrong. Leaving us bottom of the 1st Division and blaming Caldwell is a cop out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

So on investigation it emerges ....

caldwell has told erskine he can leave if he wants

caldwell told him he rates him

but he might not get as much game time as he wants 

not quite as presented 

Last week it was “you will get game time off the bench and if you do well enough you can start and if that’s not good enough you are fre to leave”

days later erskine is on the bench at Tannadice  and doesn’t get on  

Erskine then raises it again because how can he prove he should get game  time if he doesn’t get any game time  which is when the bust up happens  

how it had escalated    - allegedly because of how Caldwell reacted in that conversation  what he said to erskine and how he said it   And then the subsequent support he got from within the club  perhaps focus on that line of enquiry inspector javeajag? 

Let’s face it, everyone’s  opinion on this matter ie either influenced by their negative view of Caldwell or their positive/negative perception of erskine at this moment in time     I think if we are looking at how we would all want to be treated ourselves (a good gauge), then from what I am hearing (and I accept there are two sides to every story) chris erskine has been treated in a tawdry and disrespectful fashion, in a way that I would not wish to be treated  

16 minutes ago, stuart_adam said:

Not a huge fan of Caldwell at all but if Erskine chooses to leave it will be his choice. Just like it was last time and he realised the grass isn't always greener.

He has a decision to make based on playing football. Not income. So if he chooses to leave its his choice. 

As much as he has done for us over the years, it shouldn't be forgotten he jumped ship at first opportunity. 

I'd like him to stay and prove me wrong. Leaving us bottom of the 1st Division and blaming Caldwell is a cop out.

Chris Erskine is getting edged out of the door for whatever  reason , football or needing to move players on to release a wage .  Erskine has only started 2 games under Caldwell and is probably less culpable for us being in the position we’re in than many others .

He didn’t jump ship , after he signed a pre contract with Dundee Utd , he burst a  gut to win us promotion, he wasn’t any different to Archibald, Paterson, Hardie who all left to probably pick up a better salary to support their families, at our level that should be an accepted fact .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Chris Erskine is getting edged out of the door for whatever  reason , football or needing to move players on to release a wage .  Erskine has only started 2 games under Caldwell and is probably less culpable for us being in the position we’re in than many others .

He didn’t jump ship , after he signed a pre contract with Dundee Utd , he burst a  gut to win us promotion, he wasn’t any different to Archibald, Paterson, Hardie who all left to probably pick up a better salary to support their families, at our level that should be an accepted fact .

Spot on. 

8 hours ago, dl1971 said:

So what would you do? 

I’m not paid to manage a football team. I wasn’t appointed on the promise I’d win promotion and I haven’t taken us to the bottom of the league. I don’t continually bang on about  character and attitude and then try and punt one of the few players in the team who clearly possesses the right attitude. I don’t (Saturday aside where we did actually play well) stick to one method of (boring, ineffective) sideways football and present it as a strength or virtue that I won’t change my style of football. I haven’t just given a 34 year old an 18 month contract.

So it doesn’t really matter what I would do. But if I was Caldwell, I would just resign. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I just think Chris should stick it out.

I don't think Caldwell will be around long, and neither do most of the fans.

Yes he's risking 6 months of his career but at worst he doesn't play as much as he would like until summer.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

this

Whilst it is the manager’s right to manage the squad, it seems very strange that he would choose to target Erskine when there are other players who are absolute duds and way less talented and committed than Chris. They are the ones that he should be shipping out.

• Like 2