Caldwell

Jagsman

From Euan Robertson (reporter) on Twitter today 

Very positive press conference from Gary Caldwell

On Erskine: ‘We had an offer from another club, Chris hasn’t been involved as much as he’d like and I understand his frustrations

He’s still very much part of our plans, he’s a fans favourite, trained well and in squad for Sat.’

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dl1971 said:

I think you are losing the plot comparing a football team to a fascist regime. Surely Stalin would be more appropriate? 

Google 'irony'.

How would Stalin be more appropriate, if comparing a football team (albeit in jest) to a totalitarian regime is 'losing the plot'?

I do think GC's PR has been p1sh, but I tend to agree with those who say that the cure (GC out) would be worse than the condition (GC failing) at present. But I can understand the frustration with those who have lost patience.

I've always seen it as GC having two parts to his strategy:

1 - dig in with the existing squad and try to turn it round; he's completely failed with that;

2 - bring his own players in and get rid of the dross - Falkirk game will determine in a big way how he's viewed on that score.

If he can produce the goods on the park , I'll forgive him his bad PR and media stunts.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

You’ve got that wrong , they can see that we’re bottom of the league and that the new manager has made no progress , despite having good players at the club like Doolan , Erskine , Bannigan  , Slater , Penrice, Elliott , Spittal , Fitzpatrick, most of whom have played at a much higher level . Ultimately the manager is responsible for this , he picks the team , he’s got his preferred tactics , he’s got to man manage and motivate the players. Caldwell has made no connection with the supporters and his paltry total of 6 points out of 36  is embarrassing especially in the 2nd tier of Scottish football.

We’re on course for the seaside league and years in oblivion.

Caldwells record is indefensible , the supporters have every right to be concerned.

Why do i keep running out of likes? This is spot on, nuff said

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Google 'irony'.

How would Stalin be more appropriate, if comparing a football team (albeit in jest) to a totalitarian regime is 'losing the plot'?

The name you are both searching for is Berio who was head of the KGB under Stalin.  He had the manager of the non-KGB side in Moscow  (Spartak?) who kept beating the KGB side (Dynamo?) arrested for playing "bourgeois football."    Those were the days.

18 hours ago, dl1971 said:

So what you are saying that if we win on Saturday you still want him out. If we win the following week you still want him out. Essentially if he does turn this around, you want him out? True or false? 

Based on what we have seen so far in his Thistle career what do YOU see that makes you think he is soing an acceptable job. His performance thus far is indefensible.

And just so we are clear about this. Very FEW were calling for his head from when he was appointed. In fact i remember none. What i do recall was reasoned arguement, proportionate to his performance as the weeks went by, that several posters had concerns about.

For clarification,  i don't think he is capable of managing us......based on his performance so far. 

I'd be relieved if he walked tonight or rhe club dispensed with his services. BUT i firmly HOPE for the sake of my/our club that he IS the guy, he does manage to get the right blend of players and tactics AND is a resounding success. I don't see anything that makes me think he will but i hope i'm wrong and he takes us to promotion, cup and european success and i'm shown up to be a complete f@nny.

Based on his results, management of the players , comments made on media etc yes i want him gone. But for the avoidance of doubt i'll support the team ( and Caldwell), during matches.

(I appreciate you weren't asking for my opinion 1971 but i just couldn't help myself).

2 hours ago, Blackpool Jags said:

It's plain daft to suggest that anybody would wsnt Thistle to get beat so we can get rid of the manager. We all want Thistle to win every single game, every tackle, every throw-in etc, irrespective of who the manager is at any given point in time. But it has to be more than just the next game; it has to be at least enough wins to avoid an ever increasing likelihood that Caldwell is going to manage us into the third tier, having won the job by confidently assuring the interview panel that we would  be heading back to the Premiership on his watch. 

This is a crisis, plain and simple. If any fans believe GC can turn things round and keep us up, that's fair enough, just say what you've seen that gives you that impression. I don't. What I've seen scares me shitless. I think there's no chance whatsoever we're staying up under this guy. We need a new manager to get us out of this deepening hole; no point in sacking Caldwell in March when our fate is sealed and then bringing somebody in to prepare for life in the Pub League West Division.

Have I mentioned that Ian McCall's said he wants the job? I think I might've.

Like like like like

18 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

The name you are both searching for is Berio who was head of the KGB under Stalin.  He had the manager of the non-KGB side in Moscow  (Spartak?) who kept beating the KGB side (Dynamo?) arrested for playing "bourgeois football."    Those were the days.

Just a correction .....he’s Lavrentiy  Beria head of the NKVD under Stalin.....excellently portrayed in the black comedy film The Death of Stalin 

Edited by javeajag

18 hours ago, AndyMac said:

I can't speak for jlsarmy. Nevertheless, what I would say is right from the time it looked like Gary Caldwell was going to be appointed manager, a few posters including jlsarmy and myself, were against it.

https://www.wearethistle.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/13099-whos-next/&page=17

The main reasons for not wanting Gary Caldwell were his managerial record and his "footballing philosophy" sounded just the same as Alan Archibald's. So you are correct that right from the off, Caldwell was pretty much on the back foot with some of the support and initial goodwill was in pretty short supply.

Dl1971,  it's difficult to pretend to have faith in someone when you have none. If you don't believe in someone and think they're not up to it, you just want them gone before they inflict ever greater damage.

I stand corrected on my last post:D

Also like this post. I only "liked" two post today and ran out!!! Why why why