Caldwell

Jagsman

1 hour ago, eljaggo said:

Can you say who was on the interview panel?  Was it the whole board or not?  Did Alan Rough take part?

Sorry eljaggo. I didn't ask. I'll pop a text off and ask. I'll let you know

54 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Sure Thistleberight is only passing this information on in good faith but if true then I am sure the board/chair are very unhappy at this getting out. It potentially damages the relationship between manager and chief executive. 

One of my clients once had a crisis. They needed a new management team. They asked me for assistance to filter the CVs.

I offered a summary of them. He printed it, and put it in a drawer.

He appointed someone that I had not favoured. In the end it transpired, absolutely the right appointment. Once in post, the new MD found my summary!

Years later, the management team including said individual bought the company out from my client.

Despite mentioning it every time I see him, they then asked me to act for the new business as I had sector knowledge, and they remain my clients (and I would suggest friends) years later.

It has never damaged our working relationship in the slightest.

It does not have to if people are grown ups about it.

59 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

Sure Thistleberight is only passing this information on in good faith but if true then I am sure the board/chair are very unhappy at this getting out. It potentially damages the relationship between manager and chief executive. 

We’ll have a club statement by 4pm.

• Haha 2

Just now, Dark Passenger said:

How can you can say they have no direct involvement in (with?) the board if they sat in on a board discussion about a managerial appointment. I suspect you've just ensured they'll never be present during any future discussion of a similar nature.

Possibly so. I've no idea who was all there. Just passing on (anonymously of course cos i'm a $h1te bag). Dunno if this person was there represwnting anyone or if he was brought in to assist with the recruitment. I didn't ask, perhaps i should have ahown more intereat but was reeling from the alloa defeat through there at the time.

As i went to great lengths to acknowledge in the post, i can't test the verasity DP.  My mate is a straight up guy and i believe he believes what he was told. He told me cos he knows i'm a Thistle fan and we were discussing the alloa result and i'd been moaning about GC not being the right appointment. This "discussion" could've been anywhere, all i know is he was present. Doubt it'll make any difference cos i wouldn't think anyone from the club reads our meanderings. Hope they don't cos my typing is really bad

That all said it's now irrelevant. I'll stop gossiping now but i suspect this will have come from various sources.

As jaf posted this is common place in other industries. End of the day GB gave his opinion to his Chair as would others on the board and JL made her decision.

In a small punative way i took some comfort that a real football guy seems to agree with some posters on here. Also i've no doubts, the little i know of GB he'll be right behind the manager which makes this info irrelevant i guess............i'll get me coat!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

I don't think there is a story here unless of course the blame game centres on jlow rather than GB..... for those who have been involved in job interviews the chair always has the final say, albeit a compromise view is normally reached.

Agreed.  Sounds like the person ultimately responsible made the decision, as it should be. The rights and wrongs of how much consensus is required or advice is sought are subjective.

Just now, allyo said:

Agreed.  Sounds like the person ultimately responsible made the decision, as it should be. The rights and wrongs of how much consensus is required or advice is sought are subjective.

Excellent point. I'll stop sh1t stirring now.

Three points tomorrow and a long winning run and all will be forgotten

One of the main rolls of a manager is to motivate players, listening to all of Caldwell’s interviews he comes across as monotone, flat and very uninspiring, I’m hoping this is just his persona in front of a camera, as if his pre-match and HT talks are in the same tone the players will be half asleep when they go onto the field.

23 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Can you say who was on the interview panel?  Was it the whole board or not?  Did Alan Rough take part?

Said i'd give you an update eljaggo.

I should've asked more questions at the start. The source was NOT at any board meeting/gathering as i'd previously understood/mis-interpreted. This was a one to one conversation with a member of the board. No idea whom but not JL nor GB. The board member stated HIS opinion that they (the board) had got it wrong. That GB, from a footballing perspective (adviser to the board on footballing matters), advised they choose jim mcintyre. JL, as we all know now, chose GC.

Mon jags intae this falkirk sheeeeeit

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

Said i'd give you an update eljaggo.

I should've asked more questions at the start. The source was NOT at any board meeting/gathering as i'd previously understood/mis-interpreted. This was a one to one conversation with a member of the board. No idea whom but not JL nor GB. The board member stated HIS opinion that they (the board) had got it wrong. That GB, from a footballing perspective (adviser to the board on footballing matters), advised they choose jim mcintyre. JL, as we all know now, chose GC.

Mon jags intae this falkirk sheeeeeit

Thanks Tb. Mcintyre not done anything great with Dundee.

5 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

One of the main rolls of a manager is to motivate players, listening to all of Caldwell’s interviews he comes across as monotone, flat and very uninspiring, I’m hoping this is just his persona in front of a camera, as if his pre-match and HT talks are in the same tone the players will be half asleep when they go onto the field.

Archie style. It's what he does off camera that's important

Just now, Auld Jag said:

Thanks Tb. Mcintyre not done anything great with Dundee.

Yep. He has not. It's academic now but i thought mcintyre a better fit for us. Could have been the case as some managers seem to do well at one or two clubs but bomb when they move to others. I genuinely hope caldwell turns us around i really do. Also mcintyre's dundee career shows that there are not many options among the "tried and tested/experienced" brigade. That said it doesn't mean if he moved to another club he wouldn't enjoy success again. Not saying he is for us!!

There must be other up and coming learning their trade managers but you could agrue caldwell fits that profile.

Personally, at the time archie left/was sacked i wanted an old experienced manager. Mccall was top of my list and others on here, but we are where we are. I just felt that the downward spiral would be better addessed by an experienced head is all