Caldwell

Jagsman

3 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

In my opinion the guy has played his part in getting us into this mess.

Stop your greeting you don’t agree that’s fine. 

It’s a forum though about different opinions so get used to it or don’t post 

I say this as someone who called for Archie to go before many on this forum.

Give it a ******* rest Third Lanark. You’re obsessed.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained from trashing Archie now and his overall contribution to our club, throughout his adult life, has been immense. Without him we straight up would not have had one single season in the top flight since 2004. He is an important part of the reason we can even say we had football in the top flight this millennium.

Sandy earlier in the thread had it right. Archie ran out of steam. You’re writing off our most successful manager since Davie McParland on the basis of eighteen bad months while an actual ******* charlatan is suffocating our club.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I say this as someone who called for Archie to go before many on this forum.

Give it a ******* rest Third Lanark. You’re obsessed.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained from trashing Archie now and his overall contribution to our club, throughout his adult life, has been immense. Without him we straight up would not have had one single season in the top flight since 2004. He is an important part of the reason we can even say we had football in the top flight this millennium.

Sandy earlier in the thread had it right. Archie ran out of steam. You’re writing off our most successful manager since Davie McParland on the basis of eighteen bad months while an actual ******* charlatan is suffocating our club.

You give it a rest WJ and get over yourself

My point is valid about the lawless situation as far as I’m concerned and I’m not interested in what you and your pal KA think. If Archie had kept lawless on I doubt very much we would be bottom.

By the way it’s not just Caldwell suffocating the club the board who appointed him are not helping in the slightest, I don’t disagree Caldwell needs to go but if you think that’s the end of the problems you are clueless 

I wish he had taken the Shrewsbury job. His stock was high, Jags were riding high and it would have been an attractive job for someone selected by a more sensible board.

I recall Archie’s face as a relatively young player the last time we were relegated to tier 3, a player who was obviously well above that level and who stayed through those lean years to help us back to the SPL. Along with Kris and Chris a true Jags legend. I can understand the reticence of the board delaying the inevitable.

It was of course the correct decision but I don’t think we’d be in quite this predicament if he was still around!

8 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

My point is valid about the lawless situation as far as I’m concerned and I’m not interested in what you and your pal KA think. If Archie had kept lawless on I doubt very much we would be bottom.

By the way it’s not just Caldwell suffocating the club the board who appointed him are not helping in the slightest, I don’t disagree Caldwell needs to go but if you think that’s the end of the problems you are clueless  

I don't think anyone disagrees that many of Archibald's decisions were poor in the last 12-18 months.

I would say that, as I recall it, after our first season in the Premier league it was pretty much only Archibald who thought it was worth retaining Lawless. He hadn't had an effective season, and most (on this forum certainly) were surprised when he was given another deal, with many being unhappy about it (waste of a wage etc.). That turned out to be a good decision at the time.

We also don't know why Lawless left (well I don't). Maybe he, perfectly understandably, did not want to take the drop in wages that Doolan and Erskine were prepared to take (even if he wanted to stay). He did, after all, find employment with another Premier side.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I don't think anyone disagrees that many of Archibald's decisions were poor in the last 12-18 months.

I would say that, as I recall it, after our first season in the Premier league it was pretty much only Archibald who thought it was worth retaining Lawless. He hadn't had an effective season, and most (on this forum certainly) were surprised when he was given another deal, with many being unhappy about it (waste of a wage etc.). That turned out to be a good decision at the time.

We also don't know why Lawless left (well I don't). Maybe he, perfectly understandably, did not want to take the drop in wages that Doolan and Erskine were prepared to take (even if he wanted to stay). He did, after all, find employment with another Premier side.

I thought he said he hadn't been offerred anything. Could be wrong.  Wish he was still with us.

9 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I always thought that Stevie Lawless was our most talented player during the Archie years and that for the most part, he was a totally underused and wasted asset.

I think the likes of Lawless and Chris Erskine would always thrive with better players around them. I would also say the same of Kris Doolan. We are now so bad that these type of players really struggle to function properly when playing with us.

We all make mistakes Third Lanark, none of us are perfect. Nevertheless, over the long period of Archie's reign, he got a lot more things right than wrong. Can we say the same about Gary Caldwell's (admittedly brief) tenure?

I too remember Lawless getting pelters.There is no doubt he has talent but unfortunately he is human,like every other player , and did not always perform at his best.

I also seem to remember that he said he did not like being “tied” down  for a lengthy period to avoid complacency.Make of that what you will.

10 hours ago, cyprusjag said:

Someone wondered why he left- was just pointing out that at one time he said he did not want the security of a long term contract.

He more recently said, after having a child, that he had changed his mind and security was more important to him than had been previously.

I had always assumed he was offered a deal but not taken it. I'm not ITK and don't follow players on Twitter or anything like that, it was just a hunch.

22 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I wish he had taken the Shrewsbury job. His stock was high, Jags were riding high and it would have been an attractive job for someone selected by a more sensible board.

I recall Archie’s face as a relatively young player the last time we were relegated to tier 3, a player who was obviously well above that level and who stayed through those lean years to help us back to the SPL. Along with Kris and Chris a true Jags legend. I can understand the reticence of the board delaying the inevitable.

It was of course the correct decision but I don’t think we’d be in quite this predicament if he was still around!

Agree with this. We are in a worse place than when archie left. ( NOT saying he should still be manager) but imho we wouldn't be as detached as we are now and the blame imo lies squarely with the chairperson who overuled GB in the appointment of coco the clown. Just sayin

10 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Alongside Chris Erskine, not good enough for a team at the bottom of the Championship.

Exactly. Two players deemed surplus to requirements by a manager of a team at the bottom of the second tier. Yet more evidence that a slightly above average centre half doesn't make a manager. I've said it before and will no doubt say it again, this clown is killing our club assisted by the chair. 

I was away for a few days and out of internet range, i can't describe my disappointment on returning to civilisation, caldwell was still our manager

Just now, Thistleberight said:

Exactly. Two players deemed surplus to requirements by a manager of a team at the bottom of the second tier. Yet more evidence that a slightly above average centre half doesn't make a manager. I've said it before and will no doubt say it again, this clown is killing our club assisted by the chair. 

I was away for a few days and out of internet range, i can't describe my disappointment on returning to civilisation, caldwell was still our manager

Even if we lose today, I still think the board will sit on their hands and do hee haw about Caldwell.

48 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Even if we lose today, I still think the board will sit on their hands and do hee haw about Caldwell.

On the evidence under JLs stewardship so far? spot on GRE

6 minutes ago, Sinistar said:

A well reasoned and honest blog by Matt Greer  - "Partick Thistle Identity Crisis" - https://purefitbaw.com/2019/01/19/partick-thistles-identity-crisis/

Aye, makes some fair points. I’d agree Caldwell has no connection with the fans and we, as our Club, have lost something along the way in terms of identity.

I’m becoming apathetic about the remaining games this season. ST next year? Probably not unless we ditch GC.

Caldwell often labelled arrogant - or is he just confident in his ability to turn things round? No bad thing I would argue. Was asked about the bid for Fitzpatrick- says he expects him to be at thistle for some time to come. About time we realised the value of our assets. 

Reality is unlikely we will ever really know what happened with Erskine, and yes I was sad to see him go, but that team yesterday certainly looked like they were playing for their manager. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ironfist said:

Caldwell often labelled arrogant - or is he just confident in his ability to turn things round? No bad thing I would argue. Was asked about the bid for Fitzpatrick- says he expects him to be at thistle for some time to come. About time we realised the value of our assets. 

Reality is unlikely we will ever really know what happened with Erskine, and yes I was sad to see him go, but that team yesterday certainly looked like they were playing for their manager. 

They were also playing against, in Stranraer, one of the worst teams we have seen in recent years at Firhill. Yet there were still periods where we looked on the back foot and defensively suspect. 

A good win, but let’s see how we go in the next few league games.