Caldwell

Jagsman

3 minutes ago, ironfist said:

Caldwell often labelled arrogant - or is he just confident in his ability to turn things round? No bad thing I would argue. Was asked about the bid for Fitzpatrick- says he expects him to be at thistle for some time to come. About time we realised the value of our assets. 

Reality is unlikely we will ever really know what happened with Erskine, and yes I was sad to see him go, but that team yesterday certainly looked like they were playing for their manager. 

We played well in parts yesterday and scored some good goals especially the free kick which Saunders scored, glad to see Aidan playing where he should have been playing on the right hand side and Cardle on the left . Worked against Stranraer , not so sure it’ll work against some of the other teams , the boy Ally Roy didn’t impress if we’re playing 1 up front , still think we’re looking for another forward to score goals and another Centre Half as we could have a lost a few goals if it wasn’t for Conor Hazard, the defence doesn’t look organised at all ,  looks to me as if their playing zonal marking which I’m not sure works .

Next week is the test to see if there is an improvement, I wouldn’t read too much into yesterday’s result though it’s good to actually win a game .

32 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

They were also playing against, in Stranraer, one of the worst teams we have seen in recent years at Firhill. Yet there were still periods where we looked on the back foot and defensively suspect. 

A good win, but let’s see how we go in the next few league games. 

Agree, Stranraer were poor, but apparently better than stenny who got a draw at pittodrie...

defense has been improved by addition of Saunders- a Caldwell signing. Just saying 

You can't really argue with a 4-1 win. If Caldwell can repeat this in the QOS game then great and he'll start to get the fans onboard.

I think he still needs at least a right-back, left sided centre defence, defensive midfielder and possibly cover for Penrice. If he can get some of that in before the QOS game then we have a chance but the current defence against a striker like Dobbie would be a worry.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jim slavin's lunchbox said:

After reading this topic for some time I am of the opinion that some are going to be devastated if Caldwell manages to turn the team around

Disagree. I don’t think Caldwell is the man for the job and I think he’s been a disastrous appointment. But if he turns this around I will be absolutely delighted, and I’m sure most others will too. Everyone wants the same thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim slavin's lunchbox said:

After reading this topic for some time I am of the opinion that some are going to be devastated if Caldwell manages to turn the team around

Would love him to. The only problem I have with Gary Caldwell is his results.

40 minutes ago, allyo said:

I don't understand the view that you don't blame Caldwell, you blame the incompetence of the person who appointed him. On that basis why not extend it to not blaming Jacqui Low, but blaming the Weirs who put her in place?

If the Weirs appointed Jacqui Low and she appointed Caldwell, then it's the Weirs that should take the credit or the blame for the success or otherwise of the club.

2 hours ago, jim slavin's lunchbox said:

Would be pleasantly surprised if he turned it around.

Let's put it this way I would much rather Gary Caldwell "turn the tanker around" than we get relegated again. If he manages to keep us up it will be a relief more than a cause for celebration.

Edited by AndyMac

3 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

They were also playing against, in Stranraer, one of the worst teams we have seen in recent years at Firhill. Yet there were still periods where we looked on the back foot and defensively suspect. 

A good win, but let’s see how we go in the next few league games. 

Absolutely correct that it is difficult to judge vs lower league opposition. However, there were several upsets yesterday with lower league and non league clubs prevailing against Championship and above clubs

12 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

Would be pleasantly surprised if he turned it around.

Let's put it this way I would much rather Gary Caldwell "turn the tanker around" than we get relegated again. If he manages to keep us up it will be a relief more than a cause for celebration.

this

3 hours ago, ironfist said:

Agree, Stranraer were poor, but apparently better than stenny who got a draw at pittodrie...

defense has been improved by addition of Saunders- a Caldwell signing. Just saying 

Yes Caldwell signed him but we did try to get him in the summer. Livingston wanted to hold on to him back then and he was signed immediately he was made available. Just saying. :)

37 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Yes Caldwell signed him but we did try to get him in the summer. Livingston wanted to hold on to him back then and he was signed immediately he was made available. Just saying. :)

And in the summer we got McGinty instead! Do you prefer being negative? 

1 hour ago, scotty said:

The phrase about having a dog and barking comes to mind! :wacko:

Let's put it this way,

If the Weirs appointed Jacqui Low as Chairman and Gerry Britton as Chief Executive.

Perhaps it was the Weirs that insisted on Gary Caldwell as manager acting through Jacqui Low?

Who knows?

What is for sure; is that someone appointed Gary Caldwell, Gerry Britton and Jacqui Low. If these appointments were made by the Weirs and they turn out to be successful, then the Weirs will deserve much credit.

For good or ill someone somewhere has to take ultimate responsibility for the running of the club. The buck has to stop somewhere.

A neutral at yesterday's game would probably have said that the result was never in doubt and on another day with chances taken, it could have been 7-0. We feel different for obvious reasons.

There was nevertheless a horrible sticky spell following their goal where we suddenly started defending 10 yards deeper and looked hesitant and very fragile. A decent Championship side would have punished us, but overall it was amore confident and competent performance than I've seen under Caldo. If he can keep it up next week he'll have us eating our words.

I'd rather eat my words than suffer relegation again . It's not so much that I couldn't stand a season in League 1, more that I hate the thought of the Bunner led red lichties replacing us!

9 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

Let's put it this way,

If the Weirs appointed Jacqui Low as Chairman and Gerry Britton as Chief Executive.

Perhaps it was the Weirs that insisted on Gary Caldwell as manager acting through Jacqui Low?

Who knows?

What is for sure; is that someone appointed Gary Caldwell, Gerry Britton and Jacqui Low. If these appointments were made by the Weirs and they turn out to be successful, then the Weirs will deserve much credit.

For good or ill someone somewhere has to take ultimate responsibility for the running of the club. The buck has to stop somewhere.

Beattie and the Board appointed Low

low and the board appointed Caldwell and Britton

• Like 1