Caldwell

Jagsman

13 minutes ago, allyo said:

What I find draining is...

- constant criticism of Archibald, who hasn't been our manager for about four months, as if everything is still about him

- constant reference to Caldwell's promotion target, which hasn't been realistic for months and is therefore just used as a stick to beat him

- any reference to Jackie McNamara, as if he is still relevant

- any reference to powerpoint

- watching Partick Thistle

- Brexit

- Dancing on Ice

- the 21st century in general

I think the board are answerable for the first two points

I'm going to take the fifth on point three, because in order not to be overly cryptic, Jackie's template may come in handy next season if we survive this one in the same division.

The rest is all down to Dick Campbell in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Jag said:

The constant criticism of everything the manager says or does really is draining. 

It's the same people saying the same thing, over and over again, until Caldwell says or does something else for them to jump on that as well so they can add that to their list. 

Caldwell has made mistakes, lots of them. His man management is questionable because of results since he took over. The Erskine situation lost him a lot of support and should have been handled better. He has made bad decisions during games that may have cost us points. At least he has had the balls to make decisions though.

He inherited a poor group of players with a losing record. He possibly thought he could steady the ship with that group of players but he couldn't. He has now been able to bring in players of his own and, since the turn of the year, performances have improved. 

Look at the players he has got rid of, or wants to get rid of - Storer, Melbourne, Scobbie, Erskine, Jeffries, Mutombo, Ntambwe, Keown, Bell. Out with Erskine, is anyone going to really make a case for any of the rest staying? He's identified the dross. He dropped the bomb scare of a defender that is McGinty.

The players look fitter than they did a few months ago, and we have been able to hold out for results in our three league games since the turn of the year that we may have squandered previously.

I get people don't like him and I get that we are in a poor position but the constant harping back to the interview or the SAS day or the player analysis is completely wearing. The guy is doing some things right.

Totally agree. Compare yesterday's game to something like the defeat down at Cappielow. Totally different. Credit to Caldwell where it's true.

> Look at the players he has got rid of, or wants to get rid of - Storer, Melbourne, Scobbie, Jeffries, Mutombo, Ntambwe, Keown, Bell

Exactly. The guys on the pitch yesterday brought in by Caldwell are the opposite of that bunch.

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

I think the board are answerable for the first two points

I'm going to take the fifth on point three, because in order not to be overly cryptic, Jackie's template may come in handy next season if we survive this one in the same division.

Blaming the board for everything. I find that draining too. They're not blameless but they don't pick the team or play football matches..

Sorry, I'm a grumpy bstd tonight. :mad:

Edited by allyo

14 minutes ago, allyo said:

Blaming the board for everything. I find that draining too. They're not blameless but they don't pick the team or play football matches..

Sorry, I'm a grumpy bstd tonight. :mad:

Cheer up allyo. We won yesterday, unbeaten this year. So the roller coaster ride we Thistle supporters share after being on a long downward spiral is on the up again. Until Saturday anyway.:thumbsup::fan:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Cheer up allyo. We won yesterday, unbeaten this year. So the roller coaster ride we Thistle supporters share after being on a long downward spiral is on the up again. Until Saturday anyway.:thumbsup::fan:

I just used up a like on that Auld Jag. All good, cheers. :thumbsup2:

13 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

I once, in a drunk state of star struckness, told dick campbell this at a sports dinner where he was speaking. He saw right through it and told me to f@ck off cos he'd "done a job but had been piss"......wee man. A big unit for an old man

17 hours ago, allyo said:

What I find draining is...

- constant criticism of Archibald, who hasn't been our manager for about four months, as if everything is still about him

- constant reference to Caldwell's promotion target, which hasn't been realistic for months and is therefore just used as a stick to beat him

- any reference to Jackie McNamara, as if he is still relevant

- any reference to powerpoint

- watching Partick Thistle

- Brexit

- Dancing on Ice

- the 21st century in general

- and complaining there's not enough likes!

36 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

I was addressing the particular point about no-one having it in for Caldwell. That's bullsh*t.

Your constant defence of Caldwell is commendable, but nobody has it in for him. People have been unimpressed by him since he took over, but more unimpressed by results which have been rotten. It’s not like people were out to get him before he started, he just hasn’t been particularly impressive and has clearly rubbed a lot of fans up the wrong way. 

The past few games have seen a big improvement and I am absolutely delighted. If that continues then everyone will be happy. That being said, I don’t see why legitimate scepticism equates to people having it in for him. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There are some striking parallels here with what happened at Bristol City some years back. We were in league one hoping to get back up to the championship but had started the season very poorly under a club 'legend' Brian Tinnion. He left, I think, by mutual consent after a thrashing away at Swansea. The manager who replaced him was Gary Johnson. Initial results and performances were awful. Rumours were rife of dressing room unrest. We were a club seen as a soft touch with players happy to take a good wage to see out their careers and also a culture of going out on the town drinking. Johnson got rid of the deadwood, it was very much his way or the highway. We went on a long winless run stuck in the bottom four with relegation a real possibility. Fans were not impressed. He came over as very sure of his ways which to some appeared arrogant given the results were so poor. However with loan signings complimenting the players who had remained results turned around and we finished the season strongly ending up 9th of 24.

The following season we got promoted to the Championship and the season after that lost in the play-off final to Hull. That was the pinnacle of his career at City and his downfall was largely around his apparent difficulty in managing better players egos.

A lot of this feels very similar to Caldwell. I've seen some shocking displays and questionable tactics under Caldwell, Morton away being a particular example. I didn't rate him based on these early performances and the jury is still out to a degree. Things have definitely improved though and I'm feeling much more upbeat about our chances of staying up and hopefully the parallels with Bristol City will continue and we'll get promoted next season.   

39 minutes ago, Bristol City Jag said:

There are some striking parallels here with what happened at Bristol City some years back. We were in league one hoping to get back up to the championship but had started the season very poorly under a club 'legend' Brian Tinnion. He left, I think, by mutual consent after a thrashing away at Swansea. The manager who replaced him was Gary Johnson. Initial results and performances were awful. Rumours were rife of dressing room unrest. We were a club seen as a soft touch with players happy to take a good wage to see out their careers and also a culture of going out on the town drinking. Johnson got rid of the deadwood, it was very much his way or the highway. We went on a long winless run stuck in the bottom four with relegation a real possibility. Fans were not impressed. He came over as very sure of his ways which to some appeared arrogant given the results were so poor. However with loan signings complimenting the players who had remained results turned around and we finished the season strongly ending up 9th of 24.

The following season we got promoted to the Championship and the season after that lost in the play-off final to Hull. That was the pinnacle of his career at City and his downfall was largely around his apparent difficulty in managing better players egos.

A lot of this feels very similar to Caldwell. I've seen some shocking displays and questionable tactics under Caldwell, Morton away being a particular example. I didn't rate him based on these early performances and the jury is still out to a degree. Things have definitely improved though and I'm feeling much more upbeat about our chances of staying up and hopefully the parallels with Bristol City will continue and we'll get promoted next season.   

Glad to see that Bristol City are doing well again over the past few seasons. Lee Johnson the manager(Gary's Son).