Caldwell

Jagsman

Initially I was very, very impressed with what he had to say for himself and for the way he intended to set the team up.

That was quickly eroded with the incredibly poor form that we had in his first few months in charge. I was, and probably still am to a certain degree, concerned in his inability to at least grind out results with the squad that he inherited. Good managers can generally get a tune out of a decent squad, whereas I felt that we regressed after his appointment. I was, like many others, bitterly disappointed to see Erskine leave and believe that he still had a lot to offer the team and I think the decision to let him go is an error in judgement on Caldwell's part.

That being said, there certainly seems to be a movement in the right direction and on the face of it, the January transfer window is looking like being a real success. If by getting in the players he wants allows him to play in the style that he wants, then I believe that the results will pick up.

I feel he deserves the criticism for the teams performances from his appointment till the beginning of January, but that doesn't mean that I don't want him to succeed or that I will be anything other than delighted if he were to turn the current situation around and untimately have us challenging for promotion.

• Like 13

As someone who wanted him out I’m delighted with the recent results and good transfer window.

hopefully we can move up the table and catch the likes of Dunfermline and Morton and put some sort of respectability on this season.

we all want Thistle to be successful and if that’s with Gary Caldwell then great, I’d be happy to tuck into  some humble pie and be humiliated on this forum.

Congratulations to Caldwell on what hopefully develops into continuing good results.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

As someone who wanted him out I’m delighted with the recent results and good transfer window.

hopefully we can move up the table and catch the likes of Dunfermline and Morton and put some sort of respectability on this season.

we all want Thistle to be successful and if that’s with Gary Caldwell then great, I’d be happy to tuck into  some humble pie and be humiliated on this forum.

Congratulations to Caldwell on what hopefully develops into continuing good results.

Great post.  I’m sure there are a few who will be enjoying the win who perhaps let their bellies rumble instead of assessing the shambles that the previous manager left properly

• Like 1

I was initially very happy with his appointment then got disgusted by the results.. I really did think he should have been sacked at one point.. I will hold up my hands and say i was wrong.. This is his team and its a good team..  I can only look back and realise what a shambles AA left us in.. Mon Thistle!

After giving the manager some stick  for a very poor run of results. I am more than happy to say this year has been a very good one for the manager and Thistle. Long may this continue and if it does there will be some teams looking over their shoulder as we catch them up. 

Edited by Auld Jag

Great result, hopefully the confidence is building in the players and we can go on a decent run.

Good to see Anderson get a goal, having a threat in the box at set pieces is something I don't think we've had in a while.

Fitzpatrick getting on the score sheet again also a major positive.

Glad we've got a cup game next week, hopefully Cardle is recovering and is fit enough to play a part the following week against Alloa.

1 hour ago, dougie247 said:

I was initially very happy with his appointment then got disgusted by the results.. I really did think he should have been sacked at one point.. I will hold up my hands and say i was wrong.. This is his team and its a good team..  I can only look back and realise what a shambles AA left us in.. Mon Thistle!

Were 7 of todays’s starters not here before Caldwell arrived ?  It kind of shows that the players were probably good enough. Caldwell is just getting more out of them.

52 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Were 7 of today’s starters not here before Caldwell arrived ?  It kind of shows that the players were probably good enough. Caldwell is just getting more out of them.

The problem with our original squad was that it was very unbalanced, some good players and cover in some positions. some poor players and a lack of cover in others.  Caldwell has got rid of nearly all the duff ones and brought in better players and proper cover.  The players remaining from the old squad were the ones worth keeping and who tried a leg (even if their from was sometimes affected by the rubbish round them).   I hope Cardle is (as they claim) not as badly injured as first thought and will be back soon; also hope Coulibaly might have a part to play - might be worth giving him a run out v East Fife to show what he can do and get him fitter.  If these two can be available we might do better than just survive the league - if not play-offs maybe a semi-final or ...?

Edit: I except Erskine who I believe was worth keeping (not just skilful but a real trier for us too).  Don't know what went on there.  Either a clash of personalities which we will never know about or else the board exaggerated the amount of backing for the manager in the window and ERskine had to be moved on to help get the players he wanted.

Edited by Mr Bunny

After Caldwell being served with a notice of complaint after his comments about Dallas you would think Dallas would be told, don’t make an arse of anything or draw attention to yourself until we ban Caldwell, then today the wee tadgerbreath gives Rangers 4 penalties. I don’t think we had 4 penalties in the whole time we spent in the Premiership. I admit I’ve not seen any footage of their game but did see one picture of a handball given and it was about a yard outside the box, Kearney said on the radio one was a stonewaller and the other 3 weren’t pens.

12 hours ago, jags on tour said:

After Caldwell being served with a notice of complaint after his comments about Dallas you would think Dallas would be told, don’t make an arse of anything or draw attention to yourself until we ban Caldwell, then today the wee tadgerbreath gives Rangers 4 penalties. I don’t think we had 4 penalties in the whole time we spent in the Premiership. I admit I’ve not seen any footage of their game but did see one picture of a handball given and it was about a yard outside the box, Kearney said on the radio one was a stonewaller and the other 3 weren’t pens.

Give or take, there have been 6050 1st XI Thistle fixtures since penalties were introduced.   There's no record of there ever having been 4 penalties awarded in a match.  There are 14 matches where 3 were awarded.

12 hours ago, JeanieD said:

Remain to be convinced by Caldwell - as a Thistle manager he is, in my opinion, currently hovering somewhere between Billy Lamont and Tommy Bryce but time might elevate his ranking .

His record to date probably doesn't rank him that highly. But in the long term he isn't going to be judged on what has happened so far. He'll either take us down and leave as our worst manager of all time, or (hopefully) keep us up and get a chance to build his own team for a new season, and will then be judged on that.

For Gary Caldwell, it's all still there to play for.

31 minutes ago, allyo said:

His record to date probably doesn't rank him that highly. But in the long term he isn't going to be judged on what has happened so far. He'll either take us down and leave as our worst manager of all time, or (hopefully) keep us up and get a chance to build his own team for a new season, and will then be judged on that.

For Gary Caldwell, it's all still there to play for

I think thats a fair assessment. I've not been a fan but if he keeps us up then he probably does enough to deserve a chance next year.

The games at Alloa and Dunfermline away are looking pretty big after yesterdays results. 4-6 points from those and we're looking at an outside chance of the playoffs,  2-3 points and we are in good shape to avoid relegation, 0-1 points and we're back in the brown stuff.

20 minutes ago, laukat said:

I think thats a fair assessment. I've not been a fan but if he keeps us up then he probably does enough to deserve a chance next year.

The games at Alloa and Dunfermline away are looking pretty big after yesterdays results. 4-6 points from those and we're looking at an outside chance of the playoffs,  2-3 points and we are in good shape to avoid relegation, 0-1 points and we're back in the brown stuff.

I'm definitely not thinking promotion playoffs. Would require at least 30 points from remaining 13 games. Say 9 wins, 3 draws, 1 defeat. I think that's beyond us.

if we win our next six games I'm willing to reconsider.

41 minutes ago, laukat said:

If we only get 2 points from our matches v Alloa & Dunfermline, we could be bottom of the league at that point. 

1 hour ago, laukat said:

My view on the future results also. Still a lot of hard work to be done. As for comparing him to any previous managers still far too early to judge.