Caldwell

Jagsman

Yesterday's results really change the perspective. A few weeks ago I'd have taken a relegation play off. I really thought we were on our way out. Shows how things can turn around.

From here on in a fairly modest performance will keep us safe. 18 points from 13 games (say W5 D3 L5) would get us there. For me that's still the target, but it's looking a lot more achievable.

1 minute ago, allyo said:

Im not feeling too smug yet

Agreed. We're doing well and I'm very pleased. Form guide for 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10 games in not so good. So I'm not reading too much into this.

As jagfox has stated, it's a very tight league. Teams taking points off each other. Fortunately, we have started to join in too.

1 hour ago, Dark Passenger said:

Probably?

I’m not sure that simply keeping us up is enough. Keeping us up while showing form which suggests we’ll challenge next season is important. The form table above suggests that he’s on target for this. As an aside, the closeness of the league is reflected by the goal difference of all teams over the last 8 games- all teams are within the +-2 range, and all but one of those are in the +-1 range

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Under normal circumstances, I would agree. However, I would be concerned about the possible psychological impact of having a good start to the year and finding themselves at the bottom again.

I get what you’re saying, but Alloa have lost 3 on the trot, so I think I’d prefer them to lose again before we play them.  I think it would have more of an effect on them than us, especially if we get a result in Methil

8 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I’m not sure that simply keeping us up is enough. Keeping us up while showing form which suggests we’ll challenge next season is important. The form table above suggests that he’s on target for this. As an aside, the closeness of the league is reflected by the goal difference of all teams over the last 8 games- all teams are within the +-2 range, and all but one of those are in the +-1 range

Given what we have been through, and given what it will take, I think keeping us up is enough. I'm not saying it's hugely impressive, but it would be decent. Particularly if it's done without a play-off.

Regarding Alloa vs Falkirk, a draw please. 2 points to our rivals instead of 3; it's a simple as that.

Not sure what will be the best result re Alloa v Falkirk next week. Maybe worth pointing out, regardless of that game, that we're still a bottom of the league club or whereabouts.

My confidence is tempered somewhat by the fact that we're partly in this dire situation due to our current manager. Accept that but appreciate we now appear to have a squad under our current manager that has a winning mentality and we shouldn't be too despondent. Obviously everyone will have a different threshold  but personally I feel we should be judging Caldwell's performance as a Jags manager from here on in.   

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not sure what will be the best result re Alloa v Falkirk next week. Maybe worth pointing out, regardless of that game, that we're still a bottom of the league club or whereabouts.

My confidence is tempered somewhat by the fact that we're partly in this dire situation due to our current manager. Accept that but appreciate we now appear to have a squad under our current manager that has a winning mentality and we shouldn't be too despondent. Obviously everyone will have a different threshold  but personally I feel we should be judging Caldwell's performance as a Jags manager from here on in.   

Gary Caldwell was appointed manager of Partick Thistle in mid-October 2018 when we were mid to lower table.

He may have inherited a load of dross, but 1 win in 15 games is still stinking his record out. His last month has been a major improvement but until we are safely out of the bottom two then his tenure is up for debate.

In my opinion, he doesn't help himself with his attitude in media interviews, but I'll comfortably live with that if he saves us this season and thereafter gets us promotion next season.

In short, massively heartened by the transfer window and the results this month, so it's fair to say he may have turned the corner. Every game is still a must win though until we are mathematically safe.

I'd like to believe in a 1 loss in 15 games to finish the season.................................

• Like 2

Maybe a different way of saying the same thing, tho' again subjectively, is at best Caldwell's tenure to date should be looked upon as being of neutral effect.  This is, after all considerations re the legacy he inherited from Archibald are accounted for.  What I feel tho' is indisputable is that the minus points from employing Caldwell predate the plus points. That's all that really matters and thus there's now genuine grounds for optimism.

11 hours ago, allyo said:

Regarding Alloa vs Falkirk, a draw please. 2 points to our rivals instead of 3; it's a simple as that.

This way they are taking points off each other and that must the preferred outcome but it's all for nothing if we don't take the points at Methil the following Saturday.  Falkirk are at Ross County that week.

Regardless, the most important thing will be to concentrate on our own game.  Teams will all take points from each other in this league so if we attend to our own business then our fate is in our own hands.

I think that fate is looking a lot brighter this week.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Gary Caldwell was appointed manager of Partick Thistle in mid-October 2018 when we were mid to lower table.

He may have inherited a load of dross, but 1 win in 15 games is still stinking his record out. His last month has been a major improvement but until we are safely out of the bottom two then his tenure is up for debate.

In my opinion, he doesn't help himself with his attitude in media interviews, but I'll comfortably live with that if he saves us this season and thereafter gets us promotion next season.

In short, massively heartened by the transfer window and the results this month, so it's fair to say he may have turned the corner. Every game is still a must win though until we are mathematically safe.

I'd like to believe in a 1 loss in 15 games to finish the season.................................

Great post Barney, sums up my thoughts.

Can i share? Not to be too pious etc..........last week i was leaving my job and my colleagues arranged a small presentation. I've been with the same employer for 31 years so it was quite a big deal for me to leave. I must have done something right though. My colleagues went to Firhill to buy my son and i hospitality tickets and while there explain what the purchase was for and the club, off their own backs, arranged for a framed signed jersey. Now, one of my pals at work is besties with a current Thistle player (i'll save his embarassment) and arranged a surprise visit on my last day. This guy used his own personal time to come and present me with these two gifts, wow, just wow, are we the best club or what.

So after i'd managed to control my school boy excitement we got to chatting about the last 20 months at our club and agreed how bad it had been. Now i've been no fan of the new manager and many on here, just like me, have been very critical of his various shortcomings. The player assured me that ALL of the players are firmly behind caldwell, that the trainning is first class, it's new and innovative and he believes exciting times are ahead, and that Caldwell is a great guy with them. We shouldn't pay any attention to how the media portray him or how he comes accross through tv or radio. He also told me that they players all firmly believe they can still make a play off place. Now i know i was star struck, but believe there is genuine belief by this guy. This chat has gone some way to changing my mind about Caldwell.

Lastly, he was full of praise for erskine and believes he'll be a star at livvi. That he was not forced out it was just that althought erskinho is a jaggy forever there could be no guarantees of first team starting places and cos he is getting older decided reluctantly that he needed to try elsewhere. Still gonna miss him though.

Not trying to influence anyones opinion, just wanted to share