Caldwell

Jagsman

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Many thanks for that. I'm amazed at that Morton crowd. I could have sworn it was much more. We were going for the old second division title and it was more or less the decider. Won 2 0 and Benny Rooney scored a rare goal. Nb was also at the honved game...17000 does seem high.

Something rings a bell with me of a crowd of  10 000   plus vs East Fife early  70s  ... Any one confirm ???

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

Something rings a bell with me of a crowd of  10 000   plus vs East Fife early  70s  ... Any one confirm ???

Official Handbook gives a crowd of 8,743 for the 4-0 win against East Fife in January 1970 - this was effectively the title decider in the old Second Division with a Jimmy Bone hat-trick.

Biggest crowd of that season was 8,851 against Arbroath in April in the game that clinched promotion.

Remarkable crowds when there would be relatively few away fans...in contrast to the bigger attendances in recent years in games against Morton and Dundee United when the opposition brought about 3,000...it shows a substantial drop in Thistle's core support.

32 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

Official Handbook gives a crowd of 8,743 for the 4-0 win against East Fife in January 1970 - this was effectively the title decider in the old Second Division with a Jimmy Bone hat-trick.

Biggest crowd of that season was 8,851 against Arbroath in April in the game that clinched promotion.

Remarkable crowds when there would be relatively few away fans...in contrast to the bigger attendances in recent years in games against Morton and Dundee United when the opposition brought about 3,000...it shows a substantial drop in Thistle's core support.

Thanks w.of.63.. my little grey cells are still working..

5 hours ago, elevenone said:

Going the opposite way ie low crowds, I am sure a few games I attended late 80’s were of the 3 figure mark (east fife, meadowbank maybe?).  Can anyone provide a list of lowest Firhill crowds?

TJR can probably confirm, but I'm pretty sure we always managed at least 1000 in those dark days

12 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Very true. There were some peaks, but we never maintained the position we held in those days ( late 50's early 60s).

There were 6 Lisbon Lions in that team, and Jim Kennedy, John Cushley, and Ian Young were decent players. I remember every single player from that game.

Wow. What a superb memory sir. I struggle to remember what i had for lunch yesterday. You have a very engaging writing style, a cheeky wee memiors book perhaps.

My daughter is studying language at uni, is an avid writer and reader. Gets the reading from me (warlord, bullet, broons, oor wullie, commando......) all other intelligent traits from her mum. Anyhoo, she has often asked what clubs (ptfc in particular) don't engage fans, especially older ones, to write short stories about their memories of games and going to see Thistle, collate then, put them all in a book and sell it for club funds/charitable causes. Might not be financially worth while i guess. Anyhoo great few posposts SN.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Green Citizen was the better one. Loved that huge size of a paper and the reports were excellent. The pink times was ok.

The pink rarely ever had detail of the second half of games

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Green Citizen was the better one. Loved that huge size of a paper and the reports were excellent. The pink times was ok.

I also remember the Citizen being better, but for some reason we usually bought the pink Times. Match reports for the first half only, and sometimes the final score only stamped in the bottom margin of the back page!

On 2/6/2019 at 2:05 AM, Jaggernaut said:

This thread seems to have gone off in another direction, but who cares! I started going as a nipper in the early to mid sixties, taken by any number of 5 uncles, all brothers and all Thistle stalwarts. Sadly only one is still with us. No idea of my first game; my indoctrination was gradual rather than a thunderbolt, but its effects were permanent!

It has jaggernaut but we'll get right in about Caldwell soon enough.....next draw/defeat should get the thread back on track

Just now, Jaggernaut said:

I also remember the Citizen being better, but for some reason we usually bought the pink Times. Match reports for the first half only, and sometimes the final score only stamped in the bottom margin of the back page!

We never got the citizen, in fact now i think about it that paper might have folded by the time i was old enought to get past the photo's!!

I aslo remember the pink struggling to provide accurate league tables especially memorable being the season we were top/2nd with DUFC going into the famous winter shut down. I was completely convinced our name was on the league title..........hohum

Just now, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Stands to reason the Citizen was the better paper. Bobby Maitland, a lifelong Jags supporter, was a main sports reporter/writer for the Greeny. :thumbsup2:

I distinctly remember keeping the copy of the day Glavin scored both goals in the 2-0 win over Celtic for months. And I was at the game. Double pleasure.

My ears are burning again!

According to the great Jaggy database, fom 1970-71 onwards...

Our biggest gate at Firhill was the aforementioned Celtic game, the interest being intensified after the League Cup final the preceding month:
27.11.1971 Celtic [h] L1-5 (SFL First Division - game 12) 33,185

All 10,000 or more non OF crowds:
05.02.1972 Hibernian [h] L0-2 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round) 21,000
27.09.1972 Honved [h] L0-3 (UEFA Cup 1st Round, 2nd leg) 16,513
20.01.1990 Aberdeen [h] L2-6 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round) 12,125
04.03.1972 Aberdeen [h] W2-0 (SFL First Division - game 26) 12,114
12.03.1983 Aberdeen [h] L1-2 (Scottish Cup Quarter Final) 12,077
26.11.1977 Aberdeen [h] W1-0 (SFL Premier Division - game 15) 11,844
03.01.1976 Kilmarnock [h] W2-0 (SFL First Division - game 20) 11,507
17.03.1973 Ayr United [h] L1-5 (Scottish Cup Quarter Final) 10,939
12.05.1996 Dundee United [h] D1-1 (Scottish Premier Division/First Division play-off, 1st leg) 10,414
18.11.1978 St Mirren [h] W2-1 (SFL Premier Division - game 14) 10,395
03.02.1975 Motherwell [h] L0-1 (Scottish Cup 3rd Round replay) 10,270
14.05.1994 Heart of Midlothian [h] L0-1 (SFL Premier Division - game 44) 10,012
05.11.1973 Manchester United [h] L0-3 (Donnie McKinnon Testimonial) 10,000

All <1,000 crowds:
04.04.1987 Airdrieonians [h] D2-2 (SFL First Division - game 39) 991
21.03.1987 Montrose [h] D0-0 (SFL First Division - game 37) 979
19.07.2007 Falkirk [h] W2-0 (Friendly) 970
25.03.1986 East Fife [h] L0-1 (SFL First Division - game 31) 969
20.07.2010 Bristol Rovers [h] L0-2 (Friendly) 936
10.08.2010 Berwick Rangers [h] W2-1 (Challenge Cup 2nd Round) 931
07.03.1987 Forfar Athletic [h] W2-1 (SFL First Division - game 34) 881
29.09.1981 Queen's Park [h] L0-1 (Glasgow Cup Quarter Final) 750
27.07.1998 Walsall [h] D1-1 (Friendly) 712
25.03.1999 Motherwell [h] L0-1 (Friendly) 665
10.05.1983 Queen's Park [h] W2-0 (Glasgow Cup Quarter Final) 504
03.08.1982 Queen's Park [h] W1-0 (Friendly) 500
08.05.1985 Clyde [h] W*1-1 (Glasgow Cup Quarter Final) 500
03.04.1998 Motherwell [h] L0-4 (Friendly) 450

• Like 2

On 6 February 2019 at 7:05 AM, Jaggernaut said:

This thread seems to have gone off in another direction, but who cares! I started going as a nipper in the early to mid sixties, taken by any number of 5 uncles, all brothers and all Thistle stalwarts. Sadly only one is still with us. No idea of my first game; my indoctrination was gradual rather than a thunderbolt, but its effects were permanent!

Can  not remember my first game but the first BIG match was the 1958 league cup final (our third final in six seasons!) in which we were thumped 5-1 by a brilliant hearts' side. Fortunately, I have a happier league cup final memory to draw upon......

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

My daughter is studying language at uni, is an avid writer and reader. Gets the reading from me (warlord, bullet, broons, oor wullie, commando......) all other intelligent traits from her mum. Anyhoo, she has often asked what clubs (ptfc in particular) don't engage fans, especially older ones, to write short stories about their memories of games and going to see Thistle, collate then, put them all in a book and sell it for club funds/charitable causes. Might not be financially worth while i guess. Anyhoo great few posposts SN.

I think that’s a great idea....capture the stories while older fans are still able to tell them.

Maybe you should pitch the idea to Gerry B?

Just now, sandy said:

I think that’s a great idea....capture the stories while older fans are still able to tell them.

Maybe you should pitch the idea to Gerry B?

Will do sandy. I'll keep you posted.

Just now, The Jukebox Rebel said:

My ears are burning again!

According to the great Jaggy database, fom 1970-71 onwards...

Our biggest gate at Firhill was the aforementioned Celtic game, the interest being intensified after the League Cup final the preceding month:
27.11.1971 Celtic [h] L1-5 (SFL First Division - game 12) 33,185

Very interesting stuff TJR. I sure hope you cut and pasted. The 96 v DUFC play off game is gonna spoil my afternoon, shoulda had it won in home leg. The away game was a terrific atmosphere and the jags fans were outstanding. Long drive home though

Edited by Guest