Caldwell

Jagsman

36 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

The shape, without the inclusion of pace in Fitzpatrick, was brutal and entirely one paced and one dimensional.-

Just taken this in isolation as it's at least something that Caldwell can change and should've tonight. That shape we could get away with maybe at Alloa or even Cappielow but on a larger playing surface it was obvious from early on it was ridiculously narrow. I do realise he possibly opted for that formation in the absence of Bannigan who's relative mobility we missed but it didn't work. There's no getting away with the fact that we went in at half time without conceding more down to Dunfermline being poor than anything positive from us. 

Waiting till 10 minutes into the 2nd half to revert to a back four was far too late if we wanted to persist with two up top. And I'm far from sure without genuine pace from midfield that Doolan and McDonald were the best up front pairing. The damning irony tho' is that despite the narrow set up we played much of the match with a two man midfield (Slater and Spittal) as the third was effectively a passenger.. 

I had put my 'Caldwell must go' banner back in the cupboard when it looked like we'd turned the corner. The game against QotS was markedly different, in most respects, from the appalling encounter v Morton a few weeks earlier. I saw light. It was pleasing on the eye and the prospect of relegation seemed like only  a momentary scare we'd encountered on the way to better things. The machine was looking well oiled and was functioning accordingly.

Not so now. I can't for the life of me fathom how we can ship 7 goals in two second halves against opposition who are anything but spectacular (albeit RC are top of a mediocre division) and believe, Mr Micawber-style, that something will turn up. Again, I would salivate at the prospect of being wrong once more. But, let's face it, as things stand we're well and truly fcuked. Our best hope of survival is that we edge past either Alloa or Falkirk and secure 9th spot, and see off whichever part time outfit miss out on automatic promotion from the third tier. Watching the second half scores updates on Saturday (from afar), and the respective league positions changing so mercurially illustrated to me just how hazardous and precipitous our present status is. I can't begin to contemplate life in the obscurity of the 3rd tier; we survived it once before, but only by the most slender of bawhairs. We simply should not be in this situation but we are.

The Caldwell appointment, which I initially welcomed, cautiously, has backfired. That is now beyond reasonable argument. What next? I don't know the answer, but safety must be pursued as an uncompromised priority at all and any reasonable cost. I'll repeat my tedious mantra - we should sack GC now and do whatever it takes to get Ian McCall back. It CAN be done - this I know.

If there are better, more constructive, more plausible solutions out there, I'll give them my backing. Let's hear them, please.

Forever and ever. 

Edited by Blackpool Jags
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Blackpool Jags said:

I had put my 'Caldwell must go' banner back in the cupboard when it looked like we'd turned the corner. The game against QotS was markedly different, in most respects, from the appalling encounter v Morton a few weeks earlier. I saw light. It was pleasing on the eye and the prospect of relegation seemed like only  a momentary scare we'd encountered on the way to better things. The machine was looking well oiled and was functioning accordingly.

Not so now. I can't for the life of me fathom how we can ship 7 goals in two second halves against opposition who are anything but spectacular (albeit RC are top of a mediocre division) and believe, Mr Micawber-style, that something will turn up. Again, I would salivate at the prospect of being wrong once more. But, let's face it, as things stand we're well and truly fcuked. Our best hope of survival is that we edge past either Alloa or Falkirk and secure 9th spot, and see off whichever part time outfit miss out on automatic promotion from the third tier. Watching the second half scores updates on Saturday (from afar), and the respective league positions changing so mercurially illustrated to me just how hazardous and precipitous our present status is. I can't begin to contemplate life in the obscurity of the 3rd tier; we survived it once before, but only by the most slender of bawhairs. We simply should not be in this situation but we are.

The Caldwell appointment, which I initially welcomed, cautiously, has backfired. That is now beyond reasonable argument. What next? I don't know the answer, but safety must be pursued as an uncompromised priority at all and any reasonable cost. I'll repeat my tedious mantra - we should sack GC now and do whatever it takes to get Ian McCall back. It CAN be done - this I know.

If there are better, more constructive, more plausible solutions out there, I'll give them my backing. Let's hear them, please.

Forever and ever. 

Measured and spot on. BJ

5 hours ago, Blackpool Jags said:

Forever and ever. 

+ 1.

Says it all.

5 hours ago, Blackpool Jags said:

Forever and ever. 

Ran out of likes.

I think we have to be realistic. Survival has been the only goal since November. Caldwell should have done better with the players he was left with. Many argued that he should be judged only when he brought in his own players. I never went along with that. There were weaknesses in personnel (particularly defence), but we should have been doing better with what we had.

I think most people believed that his defensive sigings were good, and obviously they coincided with better results. I wouldn't criticise him for the signings in what was a desperate window with limited opportunity. But regardless of the signings, good or bad, the old failings are back. Because he can't seem to organise a football team. And at this level, where there is probably little between the players in terms of quality, that is absolutely essential.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, allyo said:

I think we have to be realistic. Survival has been the only goal since November. Caldwell should have done better with the players he was left with. Many argued that he should be judged only when he brought in his own players. I never went along with that. There were weaknesses in personnel (particularly defence), but we should have been doing better with what we had.

I think most people believed that his defensive sigings were good, and obviously they coincided with better results. I wouldn't criticise him for the signings in what was a desperate window with limited opportunity. But regardless of the signings, good or bad, the old failings are back. Because he can't seem to organise a football team. And at this level, where there is probably little between the players in terms of quality, that is absolutely essential.

Like, Allyo.

Whistle to whistle, it beggars belief how our half-time Saturday position compares to our Tuesday full-time. It's almost as if they were physically and mentally drained from one point to another. Caldwell's post-match reflects how we're all feeling - traumatised. Where Gary's tanker goes from here I do not know, but it's off course and he seems unable to navigate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Jukebox Rebel said:

Whistle to whistle, it beggars belief how our half-time Saturday position compares to our Tuesday full-time. It's almost as if they were physically and mentally drained from one point to another. Caldwell's post-match reflects how we're all feeling - traumatised. Where Gary's tanker goes from here I do not know, but it's off course and he seems unable to navigate.

this, in spades ♠️ 

20 minutes ago, javeajag said:

For very poor results 

He’s their fourth manager this season, is he not? Clearly wider issues at the club rather than just the manager.

I’d absolutely snap your hand off for Hopkin - no nonsense and can organise a team properly without resorting to pseudo-intellectual, masturbatory managerial speak. Would be a nice antidote to the last few months. 

I'd go for Hopkin if he's on the market, which it would appear is the case. No compo - no brainer, in my opinion. He patently knows what life in this division is all about. I did ask for alternatives to my preferred choice, Corky, and Hopkin fits the bill. Let's not pish around - just get him approached. 

People will say that Caldwell's aim was promotion, he's failed in that respect and should be sacked. Fair enough. The aim of any new manager would be to keep us up. If they fail to do that should we sack them, too?

As for McCall, he could have had the Thistle job in the summer if he really wanted it. I don't buy the line that he has too much respect for Archie. He f*cked off from Falkirk quick enough and he f*cked off from Queen of the South quick enough, too.

Ian's a canny man. He knew that team was a shambles and that, coupled with the prospect of taking over from a man who people clearly had a lot of affection for, saw him sit it out. 

Edited by Dark Passenger
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Let me get this straight...we should sack Caldwell (win percentage 32%) and replace him with David Hopkin (win percentage 20%). Riiiight...

Quick question while I'm here...how much of Livi's recent success is down to Hopkin and how much of it is down to David Martindale?

Hopkin would be ideal. He doesn't mind someone else picking the team, deciding the tactics or signing players. We on the forum are always complaining we're never listened to and banging on about greater fan involvement.

McCall is indeed a canny man and therefore if approached just now may well this time take the job.  Ayr after last night will most likely not win league, face losing Shankland and a couple of others in summer.  He would be welcomed back by majority of supporters (although to be fair Kingsley would as manager at the moment) and if we achieved the miracle of 8th this would be cement his status for summer and pre-season.

Obviously paying compo to get him and money to get rid of Caldwell is an issue but if we can afford 18month contracts to Harkins hopefully there is some dosh to do this (especially with Hearts gate cash to help).  Something has to be done urgently otherwise we are sleepwalking into complete wilderness.

• Like 1