Caldwell

Jagsman

Not quite following as to how DP?   McCalls name got bandied in this thread and I think he merits consideration and stated some reasons as to why I think he may take this now as opposed back when Archie left.  I am not in the McCall or no one else club but other than Hopkins (who i think would be a gamble btw) I can not see anyone else out there who would take this gig at the moment and save us and saving us has to be the only prority in our current predicament.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark Passenger said:

People will say that Caldwell's aim was promotion, he's failed in that respect and should be sacked. Fair enough. The aim of any new manager would be to keep us up. If they fail to do that should we sack them, too?

As for McCall, he could have had the Thistle job in the summer if he really wanted it. I don't buy the line that he has too much respect for Archie. He f*cked off from Falkirk quick enough and he f*cked off from Queen of the South quick enough, too.

Ian's a canny man. He knew that team was a shambles and that, coupled with the prospect of taking over from a man who people clearly had a lot of affection for, saw him sit it out. 

Or Maybe he had just got promoted by Ayr and was showing Loyalty to them for giving him a Second Chance - he has consistantly stated that - so how has he "duped" any Thistle Fans - in addition the Current Thistle set up is an unkown qauntity to him - so its a big risk to jump from a decent set up 

As for Falkirk = Dundee Utd approached Falkirk Three times - he rejected them twice - agreeing to go the third time - thats hardly "jumping Ship"  all Managers have to do whats best for them  

As for Archie - Yes he has a lot of respect for him - so no chance of him taking over - thats it - the rest is all just your opinion 

9 minutes ago, sandy said:

As JJ says, it’s hard to speculate on McCall’s thinking from a distance. But I’m not aware of him duping the fans; not sure what that refers to.

It's pretty self explanatory. He left it to someone else to clear up Archie's sh*t, cementing his position as the *only* man for the job in the minds of a section  of the support.

43 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Or Maybe he had just got promoted by Ayr and was showing Loyalty to them for giving him a Second Chance - he has consistantly stated that - so how has he "duped" any Thistle Fans - in addition the Current Thistle set up is an unkown qauntity to him - so its a big risk to jump from a decent set up 

He said Thistle should stick with their manager before saying a few months down the line that Archie should have left at the end of the season.

He's a skilled manipulator.

Oh, he also praised Thistle's infrastructure, saying it was geared towards being a Premiership club, so where was the risk in that?

36 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

It's pretty self explanatory. He left it to someone else to clear up Archie's sh*t, cementing his position as the *only* man for the job in the minds of a section  of the support.

I don’t think McCall is that clever, DP.  And our support is not that stupid. 

Besides he is not the only man who could be a good replacement for GC.

Edited by sandy

2 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Hopkins time at Bradford mirrors our current managers record with us. Very poor start, some better results with a few wins and then another run of defeats.

The differences being Bradford City are a basket case, and David Hopkin had the dignity to walk when he realised he couldn't improve things.

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The differences being Bradford City are a basket case, and David Hopkin had the dignity to walk when he realised he couldn't improve things.

If there was going to be a change for the last 10 games , surely it would have to be an interim manager Doolan / Scott Allison / Kenny Arthur

I believe it’s a throw of the dice now whether we stay up or not and the Club would be extremely stupid to offer someone else a contract not knowing what division we would be playing in .

3 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

He's your pal. We get it.

This personal stuff is boring. Can we get away from it? Same goes to folk having a pop at people defending Caldwell - it’s totally unnecessary. 

Back to the issues. How do you think Caldwell is getting on as manager? Genuine question. What’s your assessment?

You’ve defended him a lot on here - which I’m not criticising you for at all, you’ve made some good points - so I’m curious to know where you’re at now at this stage of things given the situation we are now in. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

11 minutes ago, allyo said:

I hope you're right Barney, that this qualifies as a "difference".

So do I allyo, so do I.......

I ain't full of confidence though.

There were a fair few of us on here this time last year who just wanted to get out of the season safely and regroup.

Probably that fair few have the same objective now one division down.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

I will stick my neck out now and say that with 10 league games left .I can't see us picking up any more than 8 points from a possible 30..I think the games in January and beginning of February was our late new manager bounce. Our only win with any credibility was away to Inverness.Sorry to say it but it's league 1..next season..

Edited by Jimmy McD

I said last night that the manner in which we lost our last two games was indefensible. I've been backing Caldwell because he's the manager of Partick Thistle Football Club. I believed that he had it in him to turn things around, but the doubt's creeping in.

I'll hold my hands up to being a smug pr*ck on occasion, but only on the occasions on which we won, not when we lost.

Edited by Dark Passenger
  • Like 1