Caldwell

Jagsman

35 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

The differences being Bradford City are a basket case...

The same has been said regularly of Partick Thistle recently. 

Hopkin's win percentage at Bradford was worse that Caldwell's at Thistle. And, as I've mentioned elsewhere, there are doubts as to who was really pulling the strings at Livi during his tenure as Livi manager.

5 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

I said last night that the manner in which we lost our last two games was indefensible. I've been backing Caldwell because he's the manager of Partick Thistle Football Club. I believed that he had it in him to turn things around, but the doubt's creeping in.

I'll hold my hands up to being a smug pr*co on occasion, but only on the occasions on which not when we lost.

Fair play. I’ve been sceptical from the outset but wanted to be proved wrong. I just cannot see a way back from here though. Even if we stay up it’ll be by a bawhair and to me that’s a failure. I think it’s a shame as he’s clearly desperate to be a manager but I just don’t think he has it and unfortunately we are paying the price. 

18 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

I said last night that the manner in which we lost our last two games was indefensible. I've been backing Caldwell because he's the manager of Partick Thistle Football Club. I believed that he had it in him to turn things around, but the doubt's creeping in.

I'll hold my hands up to being a smug pr*ck on occasion, but only on the occasions on which not when we lost.

Fair play, DP.

13 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

The same has been said regularly of Partick Thistle recently. 

Hopkin's win percentage at Bradford was worse that Caldwell's at Thistle. And, as I've mentioned elsewhere, there are doubts as to who was really pulling the strings at Livi during his tenure as Livi manager.

Not sure what your point is, DP.

17 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

It's pretty self explanatory. He left it to someone else to clear up Archie's sh*t, cementing his position as the *only* man for the job in the minds of a section  of the support.

In your opinion - which is fine - but your stating it as though it was fact - I dont think he would touch Thistle with a bargepole  - he has zero connection with anyone running the Club - Yes he said Archie should stay - but every Manager asked a similiasr questiin would say that as its about someone keeping there job - Archie himself admitted staying was a mistake so McCall simply repeated  it - there is no basis for your statement - he had just been promoted - Ayr were loyal to him - he knows no one on the current Thistle Board - why would he even consider moving on any level   

15 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

If there was going to be a change for the last 10 games , surely it would have to be an interim manager Doolan / Scott Allison / Kenny Arthur

I believe it’s a throw of the dice now whether we stay up or not and the Club would be extremely stupid to offer someone else a contract not knowing what division we would be playing in .

Scott Allison has never managed above Youth Level - Dools and KA have never managed - they will gamble on us staying up via the Play Offs just  as they did last Season 

On 2/27/2019 at 3:49 AM, Blackpool Jags said:

I had put my 'Caldwell must go' banner back in the cupboard when it looked like we'd turned the corner. The game against QotS was markedly different, in most respects, from the appalling encounter v Morton a few weeks earlier. I saw light. It was pleasing on the eye and the prospect of relegation seemed like only  a momentary scare we'd encountered on the way to better things. The machine was looking well oiled and was functioning accordingly.

Not so now. I can't for the life of me fathom how we can ship 7 goals in two second halves against opposition who are anything but spectacular (albeit RC are top of a mediocre division) and believe, Mr Micawber-style, that something will turn up. Again, I would salivate at the prospect of being wrong once more. But, let's face it, as things stand we're well and truly fcuked. Our best hope of survival is that we edge past either Alloa or Falkirk and secure 9th spot, and see off whichever part time outfit miss out on automatic promotion from the third tier. Watching the second half scores updates on Saturday (from afar), and the respective league positions changing so mercurially illustrated to me just how hazardous and precipitous our present status is. I can't begin to contemplate life in the obscurity of the 3rd tier; we survived it once before, but only by the most slender of bawhairs. We simply should not be in this situation but we are.

The Caldwell appointment, which I initially welcomed, cautiously, has backfired. That is now beyond reasonable argument. What next? I don't know the answer, but safety must be pursued as an uncompromised priority at all and any reasonable cost. I'll repeat my tedious mantra - we should sack GC now and do whatever it takes to get Ian McCall back. It CAN be done - this I know.

If there are better, more constructive, more plausible solutions out there, I'll give them my backing. Let's hear them, please.

Forever and ever. 

Ran outta likes

20 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

People will say that Caldwell's aim was promotion, he's failed in that respect and should be sacked. Fair enough. The aim of any new manager would be to keep us up. If they fail to do that should we sack them, too?

As for McCall, he could have had the Thistle job in the summer if he really wanted it. I don't buy the line that he has too much respect for Archie. He f*cked off from Falkirk quick enough and he f*cked off from Queen of the South quick enough, too.

Ian's a canny man. He knew that team was a shambles and that, coupled with the prospect of taking over from a man who people clearly had a lot of affection for, saw him sit it out. 

Spot on. We can all see that our club is rotten throughout the backroom as well as the team. McCall will know this better fans. He clearly saw what was in the offing at our club wasn't to his taste and avoided us like the plague 

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Scott Allison has never managed above Youth Level - Dools and KA have never managed - they will gamble on us staying up via the Play Offs just  as they did last Season 

I would take that gamble , Ross County promoted Stuart Kettlewell and Steve Ferguson from the youth ranks , think they’re doing ok ?

24 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I would take that gamble , Ross County promoted Stuart Kettlewell and Steve Ferguson from the youth ranks , think they’re doing ok ?

The true game is doing nothing imo. But I think we are between a rock and a hard place to coin a phrase. We stock and he might take us to safety or might not.

We change him, get new guy/girl in and are paying for 3 managers and the new one might still get us relegated.

We are where we are and though I agree it wasn't  looking good pre new year, then is was looking good and now due to one 45 minutes and one 90 minutes is back to looking bad again. It's a topsy turvy season. I think the board will stick with him until the end of the season come what may. I'm resolving to keeping supporting the team whilst sniping at Caldwell on the forum........and if we go down shouting until I'm hoarse at him and the chair. Principally for the chair to fcuk off and the new chair to listen to advice of football people and just run the club not the fcuking team

Do you know something I haven't a clue what we should do. Rightly or wrongly there is no way the board will sack Caldwell now. Unless we lose our next 2 league games badly....which is quite possible. Could doolan motivate these players I doubt it. Allison/ Arthur....hmmm. What is really annoying me is we should be looking forward to the Hearts game but I'm fearing a proper roasting.

15 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Do you know something I haven't a clue what we should do. Rightly or wrongly there is no way the board will sack Caldwell now. Unless we lose our next 2 league games badly....which is quite possible. Could doolan motivate these players I doubt it. Allison/ Arthur....hmmm. What is really annoying me is we should be looking forward to the Hearts game but I'm fearing a proper roasting.

A roasting is likely based on recent form. Yet, true to the Jags, I’m not ruling out us playing a blinder to confound everyone! 

23 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I know nothing. From day 1 my gut feeling was telling me Caldwell was the wrong appointment but have been hoping for the best.

If I was chair and I'd appointed this mgr I would stick until the end of the season cos there us nothing to convince me that anyone available would be a better bet. I wouldn't gamble on Hopkins. Then again I would've listened to Gerry Britton. If we went down I'd hold my hands up and either get the next appointment right or move aside. I'm same as you, no idea what's for the best, that's why I'm not a chair of a football club

If the poor results continue for the next few league fixtures, I cannot believe that the Club will not act.  By that stage the evidence from his time at Thistle and his previous jobs would point to the inescapable conclusion that Cary Caldwell has chosen the wrong career.  It would be a dereliction of duty for the Club's Board to sit on its hands and watch the team be relegated. 

The Board will know the fanancial effects of paying compensation against the likelihood of relegation and the subsequent drop in earnings. 

To me the only question is at what point is that decision made?  I would say that the Falkirk result is the critical point.

6 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

It would be a dereliction of duty for the Club's Board to sit on its hands and watch the team be relegated.

Yeah. And they've never done that before.

No wait..............................

18 hours ago, MonehJags said:

Saturday at 4 bells I dared to dream of a promotion playoff place. By 10 on tuesday night we are concerned about relegation. Theres only one realistic target now. Stay up, clear out and build again.

Would your clear out include the manager and his staff?

the players?

the chief exec?

the chairperson?

the youth coaches?

the board members?

This is my problem, I've no idea how deep the malaise runs, the incompetence runs, really I've no idea.

Here's the only example I can remember. Lambie's last return. We were Div 2 and going nowhere. As fans we were accepting and were waiting for a second coming from somebody, anybody. There was a deep rooted malaise and acceptance of what we had become, players, fans, board members and staff. 

When JL came in he didn't talk about players, single out who needed to go and who he wanted in. He didn't speak of what or who was wrong / not working. It was everything. Google his interviews from the time. He spoke of the WHOLE club being broken. Every single aspect of it and his first job was to "lift the place".

Are we at that stage again? Are we in a similar state? If we are then shame on those who have taken us back there. Once in a lifetime is enough for any jags fan.

Let's not kid ourselves on here. If we drop down AGAIN to Div 1, we are done, it's that serious  who would take us on to fix us? We are in danger of becoming a Clyde. Our gates are dropping, our core, I go every weekend, supporters are falling away  soon it'll just be those of us who have nothing else to do on a Saturday afternoon who are going to firhill. Sad times

Edited by Guest