Caldwell

Jagsman

This penalty debate kinda sums up the state of the club.

Given that these are full time professional footballers, do we not have one that can be trusted to put the ball in the net from 12yards!!!!!!     You have to accept that at any level there will be some penalties missed or saved but our percentage seems incredibly low.  At a higher level of football players have the ability to place their kick but surely we should have someone able to hit it on target so hard that there is a high chance of success. Maybe just sums up  what we already know about our inability to score goals.

Even if the keeper wasn't there I wouldn't trust Spittal or Storey to score!!   Probably my favourite would have been Bannigan. 

I was not a huge fan of Sean Welsh but I seem to recall his record was ok. Muirhead too was ok although he missed a big one in the Challenge Cup Final a few years back before we went out......................on penalties!!

On 11/10/2018 at 9:59 PM, Jagsman said:

If the form continues does anyone think he might get sacked examples stubbs at st mirren frank de boer and crystal palace

Albert Craig at the post office, that bin man who emptied my neighbour's bins into their front garden when he didn't get a Christmas bonus, wee Wilma who left the cleaning fluid in the beer pipes at the social club when the members were rude about her nephew's new hairdo.  Some more examples.  

6 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

No record of Spittal ever having taken a penalty for Thistle.  Doolan's record to date is 6 taken, 4 converted, 2 missed.

Spittal took a penalty in shoot out in the league cup game at Livingston last July.

Same outcome.

1 hour ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

This penalty debate kinda sums up the state of the club.

Given that these are full time professional footballers, do we not have one that can be trusted to put the ball in the net from 12yards!!!!!!     You have to accept that at any level there will be some penalties missed or saved but our percentage seems incredibly low.  At a higher level of football players have the ability to place their kick but surely we should have someone able to hit it on target so hard that there is a high chance of success. Maybe just sums up  what we already know about our inability to score goals.

Even if the keeper wasn't there I wouldn't trust Spittal or Storey to score!!   Probably my favourite would have been Bannigan. 

I was not a huge fan of Sean Welsh but I seem to recall his record was ok. Muirhead too was ok although he missed a big one in the Challenge Cup Final a few years back before we went out......................on penalties!!

In terms of "in play" penalties (ie not in shoot outs), I think our record over the past few seasons had been pretty good until we missed our last 3 in a row. Sammon/Storey/Spittal. The answer may be not to nominate a penalty taker whose surname starts with S. No doubt Slater or Storer will take the next one.

Before that Sammon had I think scored all his, as had Welsh. Even Stevie Lawless scored one against St Johnstone on NisbetNight.

Aaron Muirhead missed only in the Challenge Cup Final, and had a good few to his name. The only other miss I  recall  over the last few seasons was one by Doolan against Inverness which did not matter as it was late on and we were already well ahead.

There seems to be three really important parts to a (football) managers job tactics, motivation and recruitment.

Caldwell so far is struggling with the first one not sure about the second, but if he is good at recruitment then it makes up for the tactical stuff.

If his recruitment is as poor as his first few games then we are in deep trouble.

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Dools has missed more than two penalties but I've no idea if that includes all competitive games and shoot outs.  Spittal missed against Livingston last season

More to the point Storey was the penalty taker up at Inverness when Spittal was on the field at the time. Suggests we don't have a designated penalty taker. Probably pick the most successful in training that week (as Storey evidently was) omitting the one who last missed (Storey). Banzo scored a good penalty last time he took one and as captain you would think he'd have stepped up if their was any doubt over Spittal taking it.

Quite right M'lady.  Forgot to add that I excluded penalty shoot-outs.

1 hour ago, Juanito said:

There seems to be three really important parts to a (football) managers job tactics, motivation and recruitment.

Caldwell so far is struggling with the first one not sure about the second

Saturday might have been the first indication that he’s starting to get the first two right. The next couple of games have to build on that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Caldwell needs to identify our problems quicker.

He has finally realised that we need dual strikers.. 

I actually that Keown was poor yesterday and was badly at fault for the goal.  Slater did save us twice when the central defenders messed up(again). They are both poor and need replaced ASAP.

For all Storey’s pace he creates nothing. Never has, never will.  There are reasons why we never score and he’s the main one. 

Spittal won us the QOS game and had a great 1st half yesterday. He has talent but hardly ever shows it. This boy needs a severe kicking and not to be treated with kid gloves.

Bell played ok yesterday but perhaps Snedden is worth a chance as he has looked much more convincing.

Fitzty needs to start a few games.

Come on GC, you should have worked it out by now.

Keown may have some failings but that goal at the weekend was not one of them.

Elliott, Slater and Bannigan could all have done better in stemming the flow of that move before Walsh got his shot away.

My take on it is the players have until January to prove themselves and the manager has until May. Caldwell's biggest problem will be he won't be able to replace all the dead wood in January. His task is to get  us clear of the play off spot well before the season finishes and to have concrete signs that we will be at least heading for the proper play offs next season.

19 minutes ago, thisal said:

His task is to get  us clear of the play off spot well before the season finishes and to have concrete signs that we will be at least heading for the proper play offs next season.

Posted this week that would be imo a realistic outlook. Strictly speaking tho' his task he was given (and the one he accepted) is to get us promoted (or maybe it was just into the promotion play offs?). I'd suggest in a league of ten that being completely safe from the relegation play offs you're likely to be close to challenging for 4th place.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Posted this week that would be imo a realistic outlook. Strictly speaking tho' his task he was given (and the one he accepted) is to get us promoted (or maybe it was just into the promotion play offs?). I'd suggest in a league of ten that being completely safe from the relegation play offs you're likely to be close to challenging for 4th place.

Just to clarify I would expect us to be at least in the  play off next season. This season I'll settle for reversing 18 months of horror.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thisal said:

Just to clarify I would expect us to be at least in the  play off next season. This season I'll settle for reversing 18 months of horror.

Bit pessimistic there thisal. Surely we should be aiming to win League 1 next season and nothing less, not just make the play offs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Kewell sacked by Notts County today after only 10 weeks. He won 3 out of 14 games . Board said he was not taking them in the direction they wanted to go. I hope we don't find ourselves in a similar place.

Nottinghamshire?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Nothing much new there. 

Perhaps I'm nit picking but (also taking the Morton game out the equation) our decision making early in the game, when we're not under undue pressure, has to be questionable. Agree that we do keep our control and our composure earlier in the game but for all that we haven't a single goal to show for it. And it's not a case of missing sitter after sitter.

We all know we've problems in defence. It's not then unreasonable to assume we'll come apart in that area when the pressure builds. For all their shakiness the total of nine points dropped thru three goals lost needn't have been so high had we put all that control and composure to good use at the other end of the park.

18 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Perhaps I'm nit picking but (also taking the Morton game out the equation) our decision making early in the game, when we're not under undue pressure, has to be questionable. Agree that we do keep our control and our composure earlier in the game but for all that we haven't a single goal to show for it. And it's not a case of missing sitter after sitter.

We all know we've problems in defence. It's not then unreasonable to assume we'll come apart in that area when the pressure builds. For all their shakiness the total of nine points dropped thru three goals lost needn't have been so high had we put all that control and composure to good use at the other end of the park.

To a large extent that good use at the other end is down to the strikers - I remember Doolan blew a great chance at Alloa and Doolan, Quitongo and SPittal (with his penalty miss) all blew great chances on saturday as well)

33 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

To a large extent that good use at the other end is down to the strikers - I remember Doolan blew a great chance at Alloa and Doolan, Quitongo and SPittal (with his penalty miss) all blew great chances on saturday as well)

Fair points. I still maintain that the degree of composure & control (chuck in possession as well) in advanced areas reflects poorly on the amount of goal scoring opportunities created. In seasons gone by we enjoyed an almost telepathic understanding between the likes of Doolan, Erskine, Lawless and Bannigan (when he was more box to box).  Whereas  Quitongo, Doolan, Spittal, Slater and Storey can all be playing well individually but the interaction isn't there. Even allowing for a rather unfair comparison I'd still expect to see more effective interplay by now. They're hardly now strangers to each other.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think that we have just as big a problem in attack. In those 7 defeats, we have failed to score in 5 of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I think that we have just as big a problem in attack. In those 7 defeats, we have failed to score in 5 of them.

I agree. I actually think the GREATER problem is in attack and has been for a long time and that's saying something given the state of the defence.

Love to see the stats for the past 18 months showing league games played and total shots on target for those games.

Edited by Legs Like A Spider