Caldwell

Jagsman

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Reality is no more than about four people know - so anything elses is rumour 

He's been pretty open about it on the radio. I think he'd probably call it disgrace himself; I wouldn't be so harsh. He certainly left under a cloud.

3 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

If we're going to compare the two then it's worth making the point that they managed in radically different eras. Lambie wasn't hamstrung by transfer windows remember. The point I was making was more in reference to John's passion for the club, though - I don't think that was an overnight development.

Re. Caldwell, of course I'm concerned by our current situation, but I'm not ready to write him off the way others clearly have. I think performances have improved, although results haven't. I think the managerial well is pretty dry at the moment. Look at Dundee, St Mirren, Morton, Dunfermline...none of their managerial moves appear to have worked out for them.

McCall seemed to be the popular choice to take over from Archibald and appears to be the fans' favourite to take the reins from Caldwell when he eventually departs Firhill, despite him having led Ayr to arguably the most embarrassing result in their history, not to mention the fact he left Thistle in disgrace.

And, despite what others are appearing to suggest, I don't think there's mass dissent in the playing ranks. I've heard second hand that a number of players think that Caldwell's an improvement on the previous manager. They're receiving clearer instruction and there's more structure to training - Saunders' goal on Saturday is evidence of this.

Fair enough. I'm all for the balanced view. I just feel the results are the bottom line, and very difficult to ignore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

If we're going to compare the two then it's worth making the point that they managed in radically different eras. Lambie wasn't hamstrung by transfer windows remember. The point I was making was more in reference to John's passion for the club, though - I don't think that was an overnight development.

Re. Caldwell, of course I'm concerned by our current situation, but I'm not ready to write him off the way others clearly have. I think performances have improved, although results haven't. I think the managerial well is pretty dry at the moment. Look at Dundee, St Mirren, Morton, Dunfermline...none of their managerial moves appear to have worked out for them.

McCall seemed to be the popular choice to take over from Archibald and appears to be the fans' favourite to take the reins from Caldwell when he eventually departs Firhill, despite him having led Ayr to arguably the most embarrassing result in their history, not to mention the fact he left Thistle in disgrace.

And, despite what others are appearing to suggest, I don't think there's mass dissent in the playing ranks. I've heard second hand that a number of players think that Caldwell's an improvement on the previous manager. They're receiving clearer instruction and there's more structure to training - Saunders' goal on Saturday is evidence of this.

Interesting that we are calling a gambling addiction - and actions that might have resulted from that addiction - a disgrace, but there we are. 

Delighted to hear second hand that the players are receiving clearer instruction and there’s more structure to training. Hopefully that’ll translate into results and get us off the bottom of the league, maybe even to the position we were when Caldwell took over. 

I’m not writing Caldwell off, but I don’t think he has shown any evidence of having the capability to take us where he was appointed to take us, and I continually find myself baffled at the gap between his assessment of performance and the vast majority of fans’ perceptions of performance. Possession stats does not a successful team make. 

Anyway. We all want him to succeed (although what does success look like at this stage?), and I’d be absolutely delighted to be wrong. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The Board are accountable to the shareholders - as they themselves hold next to no shares -then a simple majority at a shareholders meeting removes them 

As for the mechanism and an EGM -then this would be covered in the Companies Act and the Club Articles of Association - you would need a lawyer to give exact detials 

However - in the past if Boards have been failing -they have stepped aside for new people to take over  - former boards consisted of Directors recruited from our Fan Base -so they were closer to what the general mood was from the Fans 

Im not sure what the motivation is to be on the Board of a small Football Club if you have no real previous History with it -so its hard to predict what will happen if things dont improve 

This Saturday is the test - we will see if the much promised January signings are going to keep us up 

However my opinion is that the Fans have lost faith in where we are going in General  - if the Training Ground doesnt go ahead as promised - then people have to consider there positions - if we are not 6 points clear of the relegation zone by Easter - same applies 

Now so we are clear - Training Ground isnt that important - however it was hyped way beyond what it is  - if its then not delivered -its a measure of where we are going as a Club 

its going to be a long season 

Thanks Jordanhill Jag.

Agree with what you're saying regarding the training ground.

9 hours ago, allyo said:

Thanks for the complete response, and apologise for the collective quoting AndyMac. I don't really disagree with anything you're saying, but yeah, the crux for me is that the board are probably doing their best too, it's just that they are equally hopeless.

Happy times.

I honestly hope I am wrong and it all turns out well. I never expected to win promotion this season, as long as we don't go down that's the main thing.

5 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Interesting that we are calling a gambling addiction - and actions that might have resulted from that addiction - a disgrace, but there we are. 

Delighted to hear second hand that the players are receiving clearer instruction and there’s more structure to training. Hopefully that’ll translate into results and get us off the bottom of the league, maybe even to the position we were when Caldwell took over. 

I’m not writing Caldwell off, but I don’t think he has shown any evidence of having the capability to take us where he was appointed to take us, and I continually find myself baffled at the gap between his assessment of performance and the vast majority of fans’ perceptions of performance. Possession stats does not a successful team make. 

Anyway. We all want him to succeed (although what does success look like at this stage?), and I’d be absolutely delighted to be wrong. 

Now success for Thistle, is not being relegated. But for Caldwell it should be more than that. Remember he was brought in with the remit to get us promoted, or at the very least challenging for it. Also it was stated he told the board how he was going to  do that.

10 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

I'm willing to be proved wrong on Caldwell (in fact, of course, I'm hoping to be) but have to point out that Caldwell has said Harkins and Bannigan improvised that free kick.

10 minutes ago, jim slavin's lunchbox said:

And despite this and improving the squad significantly, there are those who will be devastated if he is the man to turn the team around

I’ve been a big critic , I’ll just be happy if he keeps us up , if that is deemed as success then so be it , thought the aim when his remit started was promotion ?

Lets enjoy tonight 

27 minutes ago, jim slavin's lunchbox said:

And despite this and improving the squad significantly, there are those who will be devastated if he is the man to turn the team around

Disagree. I don’t think any fan would be devastated not to be relegated or devastated at getting into the promotion playoffs. There has been a lot of justifiable criticism of Caldwell - 2 league wins out of 13 attempts is poor. But let’s all hope we can build on today and move up the table. 

Just now, Big Col said:

Disagree. I don’t think any fan would be devastated not to be relegated or devastated at getting into the promotion playoffs. There has been a lot of justifiable criticism of Caldwell - 2 league wins out of 13 attempts is poor. But let’s all hope we can build on today and move up the table. 

My point is not that fans don’t want to do well more they don’t want Caldwell to be the man to lead it

32 minutes ago, jim slavin's lunchbox said:

My point is not that fans don’t want to do well more they don’t want Caldwell to be the man to lead it

As I am a Partick Thistle supporter I want them to do well. No matter who the manager is. Caldwell is the current manager, so I want him to do well.

• Like 1

I've only seen four games under Caldwell, and the performance has improved each time.  The first game, against Dundee United was itself an improvement on the same game under Archibald.  So I think we're heading in the right direction, and in today's game there wasn't  a single failure, with a huge difference in the direct style of play, speed of movement, workrate and motivation compared to Archibald's team.  With a few expected additions this coming week, there will be competition for all positions.  Caldwell is making his mark.

• Like 2

Just now, Auld Jag said:

As I am a Partick Thistle supporter I want them to do well. No matter who the manager is. Caldwell is the current manager, so I want him to do well.

As usual auld jag tou're bang on.

I've been fairly critical and unsupportive of caldwell but like to think i've provided a reasoned arguement to support my assertions, but always supportive of our team. I guess we/i don't have to like any manager or team member but it sure does help when the going gets tough.

That all said, i have always posted that i hope i am wrong and today i was wrong. One game doesn't make a season and i don't want to get ahead of myself but that sure was more like it so well done gary and your team hope your saturday night is as good as mine. No failures today