Caldwell

Jagsman

46 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Great post Barney, sums up my thoughts.

Can i share? Not to be too pious etc..........last week i was leaving my job and my colleagues arranged a small presentation. I've been with the same employer for 31 years so it was quite a big deal for me to leave. I must have done something right though. My colleagues went to Firhill to buy my son and i hospitality tickets and while there explain what the purchase was for and the club, off their own backs, arranged for a framed signed jersey. Now, one of my pals at work is besties with a current Thistle player (i'll save his embarassment) and arranged a surprise visit on my last day. This guy used his own personal time to come and present me with these two gifts, wow, just wow, are we the best club or what.

So after i'd managed to control my school boy excitement we got to chatting about the last 20 months at our club and agreed how bad it had been. Now i've been no fan of the new manager and many on here, just like me, have been very critical of his various shortcomings. The player assured me that ALL of the players are firmly behind caldwell, that the trainning is first class, it's new and innovative and he believes exciting times are ahead, and that Caldwell is a great guy with them. We shouldn't pay any attention to how the media portray him or how he comes accross through tv or radio. He also told me that they players all firmly believe they can still make a play off place. Now i know i was star struck, but believe there is genuine belief by this guy. This chat has gone some way to changing my mind about Caldwell.

Lastly, he was full of praise for erskine and believes he'll be a star at livvi. That he was not forced out it was just that althought erskinho is a jaggy forever there could be no guarantees of first team starting places and cos he is getting older decided reluctantly that he needed to try elsewhere. Still gonna miss him though.

Not trying to influence anyones opinion, just wanted to share

Great post.

50 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Can i share? Not to be too pious etc..........last week i was leaving my job and my colleagues arranged a small presentation. I've been with the same employer for 31 years so it was quite a big deal for me to leave. I must have done something right though. My colleagues went to Firhill to buy my son and i hospitality tickets and while there explain what the purchase was for and the club, off their own backs, arranged for a framed signed jersey. Now, one of my pals at work is besties with a current Thistle player (i'll save his embarassment) and arranged a surprise visit on my last day. This guy used his own personal time to come and present me with these two gifts, wow, just wow, are we the best club or what.

So after i'd managed to control my school boy excitement we got to chatting about the last 20 months at our club and agreed how bad it had been. Now i've been no fan of the new manager and many on here, just like me, have been very critical of his various shortcomings. The player assured me that ALL of the players are firmly behind caldwell, that the trainning is first class, it's new and innovative and he believes exciting times are ahead, and that Caldwell is a great guy with them. We shouldn't pay any attention to how the media portray him or how he comes accross through tv or radio. He also told me that they players all firmly believe they can still make a play off place. Now i know i was star struck, but believe there is genuine belief by this guy. This chat has gone some way to changing my mind about Caldwell.

Lastly, he was full of praise for erskine and believes he'll be a star at livvi. That he was not forced out it was just that althought erskinho is a jaggy forever there could be no guarantees of first team starting places and cos he is getting older decided reluctantly that he needed to try elsewhere. Still gonna miss him though.

:thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Great news Thistleberight!!

Well done to you on your achievement and thanks for posting that information. It is both enlightening and heartening to learn that background from an insider.

Thank you kind sir. & DP &dl1971:thumbsup:

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Great post Thistlebright. Hope the mystery player is right and Caldwell is the man who takes us away from relegation this season and at least top 4 next season. Congratulations on your retirement and I hope it is a long and happy one.

Just now, Auld Jag said:

Great post Thistlebright. Hope the mystery player is right and Caldwell is the man who takes us away from relegation this season and at least top 4 next season. Congratulations on your retirement and I hope it is a long and happy one.

Thanks AJ, very kind sir. 

Me too, i was kinda/completely star struck and if he'd told me we were going to win the league this year, the premier next year, the champs league the following year i'd have believed him. Reminded me of the time as a 12 year old i got introduced to Alan Rough and Bertie Auld at a golf pro celeb gathering.....i couldn't even speak and started to weep!! My Dad was dead embarassed:frantic:

57 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Thanks AJ, very kind sir. 

Me too, i was kinda/completely star struck and if he'd told me we were going to win the league this year, the premier next year, the champs league the following year i'd have believed him. Reminded me of the time as a 12 year old i got introduced to Alan Rough and Bertie Auld at a golf pro celeb gathering.....i couldn't even speak and started to weep!! My Dad was dead embarassed:frantic:

No matter how old we get, we are all big kids at heart.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Whilst our form in the last 8 games is 2nd in the league, we still find ourselves 2nd bottom of the league, and a huge battle between now and May to stay up let alone talk of promotion. The team is definitely battling more and getting more streetwise but with that comes bookings and suspensions. I still think we need 5 or 6 wins to be safe, how close to the pack for playoffs that brings us I’m not sure, but us Falkirk and Alloa are all picking up points and shrinking the league. 

We aren’t out the woods yet but there is big improvements on the park

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Enjoy your retirement from your work  Thistlebrightb- May it be long and happy including much Thistle related success 

16 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Whilst our form in the last 8 games is 2nd in the league, we still find ourselves 2nd bottom of the league, and a huge battle between now and May to stay up let alone talk of promotion. The team is definitely battling more and getting more streetwise but with that comes bookings and suspensions. I still think we need 5 or 6 wins to be safe, how close to the pack for playoffs that brings us I’m not sure, but us Falkirk and Alloa are all picking up points and shrinking the league. 

We aren’t out the woods yet but there is big improvements on the park

Agree with this. First aim is to get to 8th, then see how much higher we can get. We have away and home games against Alloa and Dunfermline so still well in our own hands.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Enjoy your retirement from your work  Thistlebrightb- May it be long and happy including much Thistle related success 

Very kind of you sir. I fully expect the stress from Thistle to fully replace the work place stress.........and to matter much more:dancing:

Just now, Auld Jag said:

Agree with this. First aim is to get to 8th, then see how much higher we can get. We have away and home games against Alloa and Dunfermline so still well in our own hands.

I'm more confident going into these games than i would have been a few short months ago but you, LIB and norgethistle are right, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

I'm more confident going into these games than i would have been a few short months ago but you, LIB and norgethistle are right, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

After supporting Thistle for over 55 years, I have learned not to count our Chickens. To often that light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.

9 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

After supporting Thistle for over 55 years, I have learned not to count our Chickens. To often that light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.

I think we must have started going to Firhill about the same time - 1962/1963 would be my first season. First game, I'm sure, was midweek reserve game Vs Celtic. Pumped of course. I'm sure Jimmy Johnstone was playing for them, but I cant find any record of the game.

5 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I think we must have started going to Firhill about the same time - 1962/1963 would be my first season. First game, I'm sure, was midweek reserve game Vs Celtic. Pumped of course. I'm sure Jimmy Johnstone was playing for them, but I cant find any record of the game.

Cant remember what my first game was. I think a few of us on this forum have been going to Firhill for about the same time. Just going by what others have said.

4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Cant remember what my first game was. I think a few of us on this forum have been going to Firhill for about the same time. Just going by what others have said.

Wednesday night replay in the Scottish cup against Ayr Utd, 1965.  7-1  victory to Maryhill,s famous. That was my initiation .  Shame we got bumped 5-1 in the next round.

Edited by mulguy jag

My first game was Thistle against St Johnstone, would have been maybe '62 or '63, but notable game was the first time I took my 'wife to be' to Firhill. It was an Anglo-Scottish Cup game against Bristol City [I seem to remember Norman Hunter playing for BC] that was September 1977.  We won the game 2-0, but lost the return 0-3.

She never went to another match until I could tempt her back with a free bar at a hospitality night. We played Morton that night and won 5-0 [September 2011], it was one of the Friday night  games experiment. A full 34 years between matches!!

My first game was either 1969 or more likely 1970. Rangers beat us 2_1 at Ibrox. I think Johnny Flanagan scored. I stayed in govan at the time so it was walkable. My dad was a life time jags fan and he was determined to ensure I didn't support rangers like all my mates. He got his wish.....

Cant remember my first game, but the first game I took young Robert to, was the promotion winning game v Forfar 1992. Got a good picture of him sitting on one of the old crush barriers at the city end.  The last game he attended was ICT 4-1 defeat at Firhill  30/4/16. I have got a lot of great memories and photos of sharing the ups and downs of being a Thistle fan with my boy.:fan:

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Must still be  a fair few of us kicking around when your consider that a mid table game against the likes of Hearts or Aberdeen would have brought 15-20,000.