Falkirk vs. Thistle

Jaggernaut

An “outstanding.... fantastic..... excellent..... delighted performance, composure, bravery, only one team trying to win the game, something to build on” said our manager on the radio. Punters on the radio didn’t agree. They think he’s talking it up to keep the players belief until January.

What do the folk who were there think? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

An “outstanding.... fantastic..... excellent..... delighted performance, composure, bravery, only one team trying to win the game, something to build on” said our manager on the radio. Punters on the radio didn’t agree. They think he’s talking it up to keep the players belief until January.

I think that if he was not talking it up to give the players belief until january then he would be a bad manager, some folk seem to have written him off already but i remember the great lambie also inheriting a shit show from a previous manager and struggling with folk calling for his head after a few games and look where he ended up taking us! Survival is the aim this season, if caldwell recruits well in january either loans or 6mth deals and that keeps us up then for me job done. Hopefully though he signs players who can not just take up the tail end of the season to keep us up but players who will be pivitol to next season as well. The hardest part is losing some of the dross we have on long term deals.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

He needs to cut out that sort of nonsense.  Does he think Thistle supporters zip up the Back?

• Like 2

The first half was awful with Miles Storey at the centre of it. Time and again breaking down promising moves. He’s not got the intelligence or final ball to play out wide. In my years watching Thistle I’ve rarely seen a more ineffectual player. He’s badly in need of being dropped and I think his presence in the team also negatively impacts Eliot. 

Fitzpatrick deserves a run of games. 

Caldwell has shown nothing yet other than a fitter looking team. Still playing down the wings and in front of teams which just doesn’t suit our personnel. 

Doolan and Quitongo have the makings of a partnership. 

• Like 1

Once again ineffective football , no player in the team making anything happen , taking players on to create anything to move opposing players out of position. Ridiculous substitution Scobbie for Storey which just invited Falkirk on to us .

And finally Caldwell gave one of the most ridiculous interviews I’ve ever heard .

Worrying 

• Thanks 1

Listened to Radio Scotland - Alan Preston and Derek Ferguson made the obvious  points - underachieving with these players - we're poor and lack confidence - slow build-up with no penetration - no service to Doolan - Storey is hopeless - better with Erskine on. Falkirk Manager gave a realistic assessment of his team's performance - Caldwell said we were fantastic, etc.  It's early days but I'm having serious doubts about Caldwell - he's continued Archie's failings and added some more. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Jagzone: “So Gary you must be delighted with your first point”
Gary: “Great effort in training. Delighted with the performance”

Catch-more for only £9.99 a month.

1. It was not funny when you posted it on Pie & Bovril (yes I do look there sometimes - there is always someone worse off than you) and it has not changed.

2. Jagzone is £5.99 per month but don't let facts get in the way.

3. I will only get worried by what any manager says if it is "Vote Lib Dem" as then I know he has gone mad.

Edited by Fawlty Towers
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

1. It was not funny when you posted it on Pie & Bovril (yes I do look there sometimes - there is always someone worse off than you) and it has not changed.

2. Jagzone is £5.99 per month but don't let facts get in the way.

3. I will only get worried by what any manager says if it is "Vote Lib Dem" as then I know he has gone mad.

Outstanding post , never put a foot wrong 

1 hour ago, Winter of '63 said:

Listened to Radio Scotland - Alan Preston and Derek Ferguson made the obvious  points - underachieving with these players - we're poor and lack confidence - slow build-up with no penetration - no service to Doolan - Storey is hopeless - better with Erskine on. Falkirk Manager gave a realistic assessment of his team's performance - Caldwell said we were fantastic, etc.  It's early days but I'm having serious doubts about Caldwell - he's continued Archie's failings and added some more. 

Echo that. He described the performance as magnificent. An utterly ridiculous statement which frankly makes him sound like an imbecile.  Magnificent would have been us winning 5-0.  1 point from 15 under him is pathetic. Echoes of the Collins, Britton/Whyte era. Very worrying. 

• Thanks 1

I find it difficult to understand the rationale of bringing on Scobbie today when he left him on the bench at Cappielow after removing McGinty. Certainly makes the Elliott to centreback move a fortnight ago even more baffling. The fact we weren't any worse off going forward playing Scobbie only emphasises just how poor Storey was today.   

1 hour ago, Winter of '63 said:

Radio comment of the day from Derek Ferguson. When asked what he thought about Gary Caldwell describing the team as outstanding, he said that he almost choked on his Toffee Crisp!

3 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Two ways to look at it. Does he actually believe his statement, in which case we are in trouble. Or he might as has already been said, saying it to keep players playing and hopefully get some wins until we can get better players in. No matter 1 point out of a possible 15 is a very worrying stat. Needs to improve.

Jury still out on Caldwell I admit but I do think there's small signs of improvement. I never heard his interview but going from what he's said I can only think he's trying to nurture some much needed confidence as that performance and result was anything but magnificent. First half was the most boring 45mins I've ever seen and I was seriously questioning my decision to break my self imposed away game ban. Second half was improved. Thought there was some decent performances today. Slater was very good and Elliot had a good game. Absolute stand out for me though was banzo. He was the best player on the park today by a mile. On the flip side of that storey was terrible. I really don't know what Caldwell sees in him. I do think with some new faces and some let go in January all is not lost just yet. 

Well I was at the game and I thought we did ok 

we passed the ball well , the defence looked solid Christie was ok, penrice was poor 

where we struggled was in the final third as the midfield was good with bannigan outstanding 

I’m not sure what else people expect with this squad ? Storey had the ball wide all first half and did nothing with it as usual 

I’m more optimistic after today 

Honestly guys people think that Ferguson,Preston,Chick Young etc are fully qualified to comment accurately on a game, but I’m shocked sometimes by their level of ignorance ie knowing players names etc. The other night a Thistle fan said “Christie Elliott shouldn’t be captain anymore” on a phone in,and they proceeded to have a discussion about it!!! Even though Bannigan had been captain for a couple of weeks(Haha)We shouldn’t be judging a game by what these guys say. We give them too much credit, nice guys maybe, fully informed I don’t think so. Any other time a draw away from home on an artificial surface against Falkirk we’d take it. So I’m taking the positives from it. Stopping the run of defeats and a midfielder scoring. Cmon Thistle !!!!