Falkirk vs. Thistle

Jaggernaut

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

1. It was not funny when you posted it on Pie & Bovril (yes I do look there sometimes - there is always someone worse off than you) and it has not changed.

2. Jagzone is £5.99 per month but don't let facts get in the way.

3. I will only get worried by what any manager says if it is "Vote Lib Dem" as then I know he has gone mad.

Those who liked the post clearly begged to differ.

Yes, because the salient point here is £4 a month, and not the putting of core content other Clubs with significantly worse resources and better performing football teams give to their fans for free.

I’m not sure what a political party I’m neither a member of nor vote for has to do with any of this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

1. It was not funny when you posted it on Pie & Bovril (yes I do look there sometimes - there is always someone worse off than you) and it has not changed.

2. Jagzone is £5.99 per month but don't let facts get in the way.

3. I will only get worried by what any manager says if it is "Vote Lib Dem" as then I know he has gone mad.

You are right. Jagzone is not a matter that should have humour associated with it in any way.  It is so poor I have given up watching the interviews, the key ones being released for free anyway. Some of the good things have ceased, and the quality of the match highlights will pretty much always be superseded by the opposition team, for free. 

The joke is that I am sure I heard the chair saying they need to get revenue streams from other sources rather than just tapping up the fans over and over again. How about she starts by giving value for money for the fans who do pay.  

I really need to get round to cancelling the subscription when I can be bothered.  Utter dreck. 

Just now, jaf said:

You are right. Jagzone is not a matter that should have humour associated with it in any way.  It is so poor I have given up watching the interviews, the key ones being released for free anyway. Some of the good things have ceased, and the quality of the match highlights will pretty much always be superseded by the opposition team, for free. 

The joke is that I am sure I heard the chair saying they need to get revenue streams from other sources rather than just tapping up the fans over and over again. How about she starts by giving value for money for the fans who do pay.  

I really need to get round to cancelling the subscription when I can be bothered.  Utter dreck. 

I cancelled my subscription last week. It was pretty decent once. Now it is dreadful stuff.

I am a wee bit puzzled about the relative freedom to publish video highlights between Falkirk and us. If it is exact the same time how come there are two posts above this referencing Falkirk sources and no Thistle sources quoted above?  Second half commentary from our chums at Jagzone, suggest a substantially different late second half.

I am obviously asking for a friend.

3 hours ago, Steevo said:

Honestly guys people think that Ferguson,Preston,Chick Young etc are fully qualified to comment accurately on a game, but I’m shocked sometimes by their level of ignorance ie knowing players names etc. The other night a Thistle fan said “Christie Elliott shouldn’t be captain anymore” on a phone in,and they proceeded to have a discussion about it!!! Even though Bannigan had been captain for a couple of weeks(Haha)We shouldn’t be judging a game by what these guys say. We give them too much credit, nice guys maybe, fully informed I don’t think so. Any other time a draw away from home on an artificial surface against Falkirk we’d take it. So I’m taking the positives from it. Stopping the run of defeats and a midfielder scoring. Cmon Thistle !!!!

I agree with you regarding commentators not really knowing a lot about Thistle. But listening to the radio today and hearing them talk about Storey having more of the ball than most on the park,but doing nothing with it. Our forwards making runs and getting no service. This is what I see when I go to Thistle games. Also fans  who were at the game and posted their views on this forum seem to be of the same opinion as the commentators. So maybe for once they got it right.

• Like 1

I have no doubt that the players have been performing poorly and many need replaced. However I can't go along with the idea that Caldwell has simply inherited rubbish and needs a transfer window to start sorting things out.

Many of our players were signed for the premier league and most have played at a decent level. They should not be losing seven consecutive games in the Championship. 

The team needs to be organised, encouraged and motivated. With that, I believe these players should be competing in this league. And that is the manager's job.

So I don't think there are any excuses. Caldwell should be and has to do much better. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Radio comment of the day from Derek Ferguson. When asked what he thought about Gary Caldwell describing the team as outstanding, he said that he almost choked on his Toffee Crisp!

And he also said that thistle "sacked archie too soon" ffs. He's a smashing chap but mon tae f@ck

Just now, allyo said:

I have no doubt that the players have been performing poorly and many need replaced. However I can't go along with the idea that Caldwell has simply inherited rubbish and needs a transfer window to start sorting things out.

Many of our players were signed for the premier league and most have played at a decent level. They should not be losing seven consecutive games in the Championship. 

The team needs to be organised, encouraged and motivated. With that, I believe these players should be competing in this league. And that is the manager's job.

So I don't think there are any excuses. Caldwell should be and has to do much better. 

Ran out of likes. Spot on. Small crunmd of improvement in last 2 games after morton one. But only 1 point. Not looking good under caldwell so far but only way is up. 

Didn't get to falkirk but son and his mate echoing the above. Story is fast in a straight line but ask him to change direction or move the ball at an angle or cross or pass and he's sh1te. I'm not going to start shouting at palyers to get tae f@ck at games cos it's counter productive but he needs to f@ck off. Thanks for the effort but you are p1ss. If Caldwell can't see he is p1ss then that is why i'm concerned about him as a manager. And it's not the only reason.

10 hours ago, douglas clark said:

I am a wee bit puzzled about the relative freedom to publish video highlights between Falkirk and us. If it is exact the same time how come there are two posts above this referencing Falkirk sources and no Thistle sources quoted above?  Second half commentary from our chums at Jagzone, suggest a substantially different late second half.

I am obviously asking for a friend.

I think this highlights neatly just how much football has failed to keep up with technology.  Someone will doubtless correct me but I think it's still technically illegal under copyright laws to take any images of a football match without permission.  It would be interesting to know whether Falkirk FC sanction recording and uploading video from hospitality then match highlights such as this.  Many on here will have seen the footage from the cowshed at Greenock taken from amongst the Morton fans.  Coverage of Thistle's goals taken from the JLS are a feature on here as well.  I'm sure it's a feature across the divisions.  It's possible that clubs are only given permission (from the SPFL?) to put their official coverage on their websites after a minimum period of delay after the final whistle (as the BBC has to do) but fans making their own recordings and uploading on to social media is a different story.  For the record, this one is badly skewed to look like Thistle were never in the match!    

12 hours ago, jaf said:

I cancelled it today after paying for it from day one. It really isn't worth it. I'm keen to give the club my dosh but there comes a point where it's just not worth it. The interviews are poor and are pretty much the same week on week. The one thing which would keep my interest would be a look at the programme before the game (which I always buy anyway), but that's not available for my £6.

Penrice and McGinty must have given Storey 20 beautiful passes. 

He never beat his man once. If Fitzpatrick had started and had that service we would have seen whether he’s up to it. 

I was sure he’d come on at ht but no, eventually Tam replaced the hapless Storey and our system was changed.

Even Spittal might have done better. Perhaps not. 

Banzo’s 1st half was fantastic and Christie excellent again.

Some slow progress but until Caldwell realises Storey is a fandan (word of the day) we ain’t going to win.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

And he also said that thistle "sacked archie too soon" ffs. He's a smashing chap but mon tae f@ck

Ran out of likes. Both posts spot on.

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Penrice and McGinty must have given Storey 20 beautiful passes. 

He never beat his man once. If Fitzpatrick had started and had that service we would have seen whether he’s up to it. 

I was sure he’d come on at ht but no, eventually Tam replaced the hapless Storey and our system was changed.

Even Spittal might have done better. Perhaps not. 

Banzo’s 1st half was fantastic and Christie excellent again.

Some slow progress but until Caldwell realises Storey is a fandan (word of the day) we ain’t going to win.

What struck me from the highlights was him standing still with the ball on a couple of occasions, doing stationary step-overs that fooled nobody (but himself), then getting rid of the ball because he had no idea what to do with it.

He is worse than useless. 

We panicked again after we scored and we paid the price. Think Falkirk plan was to go for it if they concede. Just look at the amount of Falkirk players that are forward for the goal. 

Caldwell did the right thing moving to 3 at the back. I thought Falkirk were going to score again as the backline was in panic mode.  Scobbie did well when he came on a steaded the back line. His distribution was also good which helped us move the ball better from the back line. 

As many have pointed out Storey was poor for us today. The plan was clear to keep switching the play as Falkirk play a narrow formation. I think Storey struggled as he was getting the ball from a standing start and can't use his pace to the same effect. I would expect him out of the starting 11 against QOTS. 

Erskine was good when he came on and caused Falkirk problems. 

Really need a target man in when the window comes. Coming to places like Falkirk mean you need somebody to mix it with defenders. Doolan and Jai just did not put enough pressure on the Falkirk backline. 

Banzo clear man of the match - class above. 

10 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

We panicked again after we scored and we paid the price. Think Falkirk plan was to go for it if they concede. Just look at the amount of Falkirk players that are forward for the goal. 

Caldwell did the right thing moving to 3 at the back. I thought Falkirk were going to score again as the backline was in panic mode.  Scobbie did well when he came on a steaded the back line. His distribution was also good which helped us move the ball better from the back line. 

As many have pointed out Storey was poor for us today. The plan was clear to keep switching the play as Falkirk play a narrow formation. I think Storey struggled as he was getting the ball from a standing start and can't use his pace to the same effect. I would expect him out of the starting 11 against QOTS. 

Erskine was good when he came on and caused Falkirk problems. 

Really need a target man in when the window comes. Coming to places like Falkirk mean you need somebody to mix it with defenders. Doolan and Jai just did not put enough pressure on the Falkirk backline. 

Banzo clear man of the match - class above. 

Got to disagree with the 3 at the back all it did was pin us back and we couldn’t get out, we were playing the team at the bottom of the league who had lost two of their forwards to international duty, if that’s Caldwell’s aspirations to hang onto a point against one of the worst Falkirk teams I’ve seen think we’re in big trouble.

14 minutes ago, fenski said:

Agree with all the praise for Bannigan and pointlessness of Storey. I'd like to see Bannigan get more involved in play further forward. Remember when he used to score goals and combine with Erskine and Doolan?

Could play with a back three but that would maybe mean playing Scobbie in the middle? I've no idea if he's still up to it or not tho' the couple of times he's played there he seemed OK. 

Banzo's less of a liability now in the ball winning department (tho' his reputation in Ref Land won't have improved). Clearly our best player, it would be great to see him deployed exclusively doing what he does best. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to disagree with the 3 at the back all it did was pin us back and we couldn’t get out, we were playing the team at the bottom of the league who had lost two of their forwards to international duty, if that’s Caldwell’s aspirations to hang onto a point against one of the worst Falkirk teams I’ve seen think we’re in big trouble.

No "thinking " we're in big trouble JLS. We've been in big trouble since the season started and are still deep in the doo doo.

Seems to be the embrio of a system and starting 11. I really do hesitate to have a pop but even as a 9 year old i could pass or cross a ball into the penalty box. It's not that hard to get it into the general area ffs. The skill, and what sets professionals apart is to see the man, match the run and put the ball where his head or feet will be. That's not easy. Storey can't even get the ball into the general area. He is utter utter p1sh. We knew it from the first time he played for us but believed he'd get better, but sadly the fast food diet is taking it's toll and he is even losing his pace. He has never improved. Everyone bar archie and now the new mamager can see it. I'm not picking him out unfairly and he's by no means the only one but he is brutal

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

No "thinking " we're in big trouble JLS. We've been in big trouble since the season started and are still deep in the doo doo.

Seems to be the embrio of a system and starting 11. I really do hesitate to have a pop but even as a 9 year old i could pass or cross a ball into the penalty box. It's not that hard to get it into the general area ffs. The skill, and what sets professionals apart is to see the man, match the run and put the ball where his head or feet will be. That's not easy. Storey can't even get the ball into the general area. He is utter utter p1sh. We knew it from the first time he played for us but believed he'd get better, but sadly the fast food diet is taking it's toll and he is even losing his pace. He has never improved. Everyone bar archie and now the new mamager can see it. I'm not picking him out unfairly and he's by no means the only one but he is brutal

Early in his Thistle career Miles Storey scored a tremendous solo goal against St Johnstone (who generally have a reputation for being mean and effective defenders). He outpaced the wide defenders and ran into the penalty box, at the angle, homing in on the goal and produced a perfectly directed finish, keeping his shot low and hard.  He has never come remotely near doing the same again in the past year. 

Admittedly he can beat one or two defenders, sometimes using some neat tricks to accomplish this, but then either he goes wide and is crowded out or is forced to pass the ball back or attempts an ineffectual cross, hitting the first defender or curling out of play, or he crabs across the pitch, resulting in a shot from distance, almost invariably high and wide or at best a pass to a holding midfielder or opposite wing player generally in a static position. He hardly ever attacks the box. Even if he cannot shoot and score, he might at least win a penalty.

Could some sort of hypnosis using film of that goal v St Johnstone be employed to re-educate his deep memory system and somehow embed the ability to reproduce this on a regular basis? JagZone highlights could be put to good use!

Don’t think Storey has enough about him to play as a winger , think if we’re going to use him it would be as an impact sub against a tiring defence but definitely through the middle rather than out wide . If we’re under pressure he would be ok as an out ball because of his pace .

• Like 1

"Could some sort of hypnosis using film of that goal v St Johnstone be employed to re-educate his deep memory system and somehow embed the ability to reproduce this on a regular basis? JagZone highlights could be put to good use!"

Excellent idea!  Remember the film the Manchurian Candidate?  The sleeper agent Shaw (not our Geordie) was brainwahsed by the Commies to respond to the sight of the Queen of Diamonds playing card.  Storey could be brainwashed to be activated by the sight of spectators with large cards showing an arrow pointing to the oppo's goal.  It might even encourage les autres.