Bill Mullen

michael m

Sad to report that a key figure from our League Cup Final success on the 23rd October 1971 has passed away.  The name Bill Mullen might not mean a lot to many but he was the referee for the match and I had the pleasure of chatting to Bill on many occasions about the game, one which he remembers with great fondness.  He always expressed his delight at the game and the manner in which both sides played the game and was always happy to chat about that match.  Bill passed away yesterday at the age of 90 and l wish to pass on my deepest condolences to his family. Referees today sometimes get the rep of being a bit robotic but Bill was the complete opposite.

• Sad 1

Thoughts and best wishes to the family at such a horrid time.

I wish todays refs had a fraction of the personality and people skill of those in my youth. They seem to have got worse since they got that huge pay hike. Greedy buggers

On 11/14/2018 at 10:36 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Condolences to Mr Mullen's family and friends. A wee bit of living Thistle-related history now gone.

It could be the passage of time but I don’t recall refs being as bad back then and I think Mr Mullen was quite good.

This made me consider how many Jags fans who attended that day are still around to relate the magnificent tale. Say there were 20,000 there. Statistically perhaps only 4,000 alive. Just guessing!

I don’t know where they all are but maybe only 600 regulars. Keep the faith kids, miracles do happen!!

On 11/14/2018 at 10:36 PM, Jaggernaut said:

Condolences to Mr Mullen's family and friends. A wee bit of living Thistle-related history now gone.

It 

10 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

It could be the passage of time but I don’t recall refs being as bad back then and I think Mr Mullen was quite good.

This made me consider how many Jags fans who attended that day are still around to relate the magnificent tale. Say there were 20,000 there. Statistically perhaps only 4,000 alive. Just guessing!

I don’t know where they all are but maybe only 600 regulars. Keep the faith kids, miracles do happen!!

It 

Have watched the goals on many an occasion and is sad news.

My Dad, two Uncles and Gran and Granda all went to the game. They have all told me great stories from the game and then back afterwards at the Garscube Road where they lived.

I'm lucky enough to have been passed a match ticket from the great occasion and go to Thistle matches with one of my Uncles when I'm up the road.

My Dad and other Uncle rarely attend matches now. All are in their seventies.

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

It 

I was there that day and still go. Hope some day to see the same again.

• Like 1

Almost never missed a game when I returned to Scotland in 1995.... through some tough times and some great times.

The League Cup Final day was just the best ever.... ever!

Now living in Japan, I can only support (i.e. criticize) from here in front of my computer! But dreaming of getting a flight for a cup final at Hampden one day. (I actually did that for a Scottish Cup game at Ayr many moons ago... of course we lost!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Almost never missed a game when I returned to Scotland in 1995.... through some tough times and some great times.

The League Cup Final day was just the best ever.... ever!

Now living in Japan, I can only support (i.e. criticize) from here in front of my computer! But dreaming of getting a flight for a cup final at Hampden one day. (I actually did that for a Scottish Cup game at Ayr many moons ago... of course we lost!)

Have you started the Japanese Jags supporters club ?

Sad news about Mr Mullen - he refereed the game in a fair manner although he might have dealt with the John Hansen head knock a bit differently, admittedly back in the day these injuries were dealt with less sympathetically than nowadays. 

I was there aged 11 but have sadly fallen away in recent years, probably since the late 90s or early 2000s to be honest, mainly due to family issues and resultant responsibilities.  Still suffer vicariouly but of late have become resigned to a certain acceptance of under achievement. Once you have lost the thread it becomes more difficult to pick it up after time. Feel a bit ashamed tbh but choices haven't really been mine to make.

54 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Sad news about Mr Mullen - he refereed the game in a fair manner although he might have dealt with the John Hansen head knock a bit differently, admittedly back in the day these injuries were dealt with less sympathetically than nowadays. 

I was there aged 11 but have sadly fallen away in recent years, probably since the late 90s or early 2000s to be honest, mainly due to family issues and resultant responsibilities.  Still suffer vicariouly but of late have become resigned to a certain acceptance of under achievement. Once you have lost the thread it becomes more difficult to pick it up after time. Feel a bit ashamed tbh but choices haven't really been mine to make.

Don't know your personal circumstances, but I am sure you have nothing to feel ashamed about.  Thistle is very important to us, but life can give us circumstances that proves we take it more seriously than we should.

• Like 1

Echo what Auld Jag said. I rarely miss a match these days but that's mainly due to the family issues that once kept me away making it easier for me to attend now.

Anyway sad to hear of Mr Mullen's passing.

Fair to say back then referees used their own initiative more than today most often applying commonsense. If the ground was hard they'd come down stricter on bad tackles. If the ground was muddy they'd allow for mistimed tackling. If a goal bound ball struck a defender's arm it was a penalty, regardless of whether the arm was in a natural position. Wasn't all rosy as the ugly sisters still got preferential treatment tho' I don't recall Bill Mullen ever being swayed that way.

A bit anal but maybe someone knows when the referee's home town disappeared from press reports? None appeared to come from Glasgow but strangely places then technically outside the city, Rutherglen and Giffnock spring to mind.   There was one ref, Gordon of Newport on Tay, who presumably was allowed to officiate at games in Dundee. He was a press/media favourite and any criticism of his refereeing was a very rare occurrence.  Not because he was particularly any good. He was a director of Dundee confectionery business and handed out copious amounts of sweeties to the hacks after each game.

eta as this is the only nostalgia thread around I add this unconnected article https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/scottish-football-s-10-greatest-rebels-1-4831513

25 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Echo what Auld Jag said. I rarely miss a match these days but that's mainly due to the family issues that once kept me away making it easier for me to attend now.

Anyway sad to hear of Mr Mullen's passing.

Fair to say back then referees used their own initiative more than today most often applying commonsense. If the ground was hard they'd come down stricter on bad tackles. If the ground was muddy they'd allow for mistimed tackling. If a goal bound ball struck a defender's arm it was a penalty, regardless of whether the arm was in a natural position. Wasn't all rosy as the ugly sisters still got preferential treatment tho' I don't recall Bill Mullen ever being swayed that way.

A bit anal but maybe someone knows when the referee's home town disappeared from press reports? None appeared to come from Glasgow but strangely places then technically outside the city, Rutherglen and Giffnock spring to mind.   There was one ref, Gordon of Newport on Tay, who presumably was allowed to officiate at games in Dundee. He was a press/media favourite and any criticism of his refereeing was a very rare occurrence.  Not because he was particularly any good. He was a director of Dundee confectionery business and handed out copious amounts of sweeties to the hacks after each game.

eta as this is the only nostalgia thread around I add this unconnected article https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/scottish-football-s-10-greatest-rebels-1-4831513

Perhaps not the best choice of ref - he was kicked off the list for accepting bribes on European trips if I remember correctly.  Mr JRP Gordon of Newport Upon Tay! 

If you listen to Robert Reid's banter at hospitality one of my favourite lines he comes away with is that of ref Jim Renton who, according to Robert, thoroughly deserves to live in Cowdenbeath. That always makes me laugh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1