QOS away 1/12/18

Auld Jag

17 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree with all that. Need to see Elliott and Penrice getting further forward more often if three at the back is to be used at all positively. Actually Elliott, if you excuse his erratic final ball, isn't the problem, but Penrice rarely ever takes a player on. Slight irony there as his delivery is a good bit above average. 

I’ve always wanted Penrice to play left sided mid for the reasons you mention. Or perhaps 2nd left mid(formerly known as left half). He’s strong defensively and has a fine range of passing as he showed to absolutely no avail vs Falkirk.  But now Melbourne’s away that idea is up the creek at least for 5/8 weeks.

I agree about Christie who has been much better recently but now ask myself what’s the point in all his dynamism and athleticism if he hits the 1st defender or crosses over the byline?

16 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

This and LIB's post raises an interesting point/ question, well for me anyway.

How much self autonomy do the players have when they cross the line onto the pitch on match day. Like, during the game. If caldwell say tells penrice not to go too far forward and to sit in to combat the opposing wingers pace but once the game starts penrice realises he's got the measure of said player and could take him and the full back on get to the line and put a good ball into the box. Is he allowed to think for himself?

If he's ben told not to bomb up the wing like an ATS or SO'D, would that explain why he doesn't take anyone on. There's a crackin wee player there who i think can do much better but i get the impression he's being suffocated by tactics.

I just experienced a wave of nostalgia for those days; a great time to be a Jags fan and watch a young Thistle team run riot on regular occasions. No comparison with now.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, Garscube Road End said:

And who am I , in your childish mind, supposed to be a supporter of?

'Childish'? I thought you were far too kind.

Anyway, you have to feel that if we don't turn the corner today, we never will. I believe (but can't prove) that there has been a slight but tangible improvement over the last few games, and would expect to see this continuing today (admittedly not to the extent that I will take up William Hill's excellent offer of 9/4 away).

I'd see it as 5-3-1-1:

Elliot  Keown   Scobbie  McGinty  Penrice

Fitzpatrick  Bannigan  Spittal

Erskine

Doolan