Meet the Manager - Tuesday 6pm

avie-man

It got quite heated at one question and I don't think he came across well. A fan brought up that he feels the club are being naive to their position after 18 months of struggling and now bottom of the league, especially given we've been in this spot before. Caldwell said its unacceptable, which basically ended in Caldwell saying "we've had 83 shots on goal in my time here" and responded with "but we've only scored 2".

Very guarded responses about signings and departures. Didn't have a number when asked about the minimum signings needed. Asked about short and long term signings, but was a scattered response. Basically hes got people identified he wants in and similarly he wants out. However if there are no suitors for the players Caldwell wants out, we'll just have to keep them and work with that.  Bannigan and Quitongo they are "speaking to and their agents" regarding January but also sounds like they may have other options. Would prefer players with experience in Scotland to come in.

Scouting network is 3 volunteers down south and basically the management team in Scotland. 

Confidence being low and fear in the team was alluded to a lot. Sadly, I got the impression he seems to rate Miles Storey which was severely alarming. Thinks the goals we concede in the second half of games aren't down to fitness (which he feels has improved) nor lack of ability, its a mental thing. 

It was a lot of cliches and vagueness, and the usual shite folk as at these things don't think theres a lot to say really. I didn't give me any more positivity than before the meeting. 

20 minutes ago, Hankey said:

It got quite heated at one question and I don't think he came across well. A fan brought up that he feels the club are being naive to their position after 18 months of struggling and now bottom of the league, especially given we've been in this spot before. Caldwell said its unacceptable, which basically ended in Caldwell saying "we've had 83 shots on goal in my time here" and responded with "but we've only scored 2".

Very guarded responses about signings and departures. Didn't have a number when asked about the minimum signings needed. Asked about short and long term signings, but was a scattered response. Basically hes got people identified he wants in and similarly he wants out. However if there are no suitors for the players Caldwell wants out, we'll just have to keep them and work with that.  Bannigan and Quitongo they are "speaking to and their agents" regarding January but also sounds like they may have other options. Would prefer players with experience in Scotland to come in.

Scouting network is 3 volunteers down south and basically the management team in Scotland. 

Confidence being low and fear in the team was alluded to a lot. Sadly, I got the impression he seems to rate Miles Storey which was severely alarming. Thinks the goals we concede in the second half of games aren't down to fitness (which he feels has improved) nor lack of ability, its a mental thing. 

It was a lot of cliches and vagueness, and the usual shite folk as at these things don't think theres a lot to say really. I didn't give me any more positivity than before the meeting. 

Not too promising then.

24 minutes ago, Hankey said:

That’s not very inspiring, if we lose Bannigan in January we can forget it , the Board are totally culpable for this nonsense, point being there will be funds for the new manager as was said in the press ,now it’s a case of trying to move players on to change things . Where has the Cash gone from the SPFL prize money,Parachute payments , money from Celtics Champions League ?  , with that sort of clout surely we should be a competitive team at the very least.

Clueless 

Personally I thought it was a good meeting. That does not mean it was all smiles from everyone but sometimes you need to have difficult discussions before moving ahead.

I assume most people are more interested in the Q&A with the manager rather than the PTFC Trust meeting so will give a few points from that.

• Offers in place to Jai and Banzo. Players identified for January and looking for British players preferably with experience of Scottish football. Key element they must have is character.
  • When he first came in worked on counter pressing (getting ball back as soon as possible if lose it) then on being compact. Thinks we are better in both areas and we now need to get that final ball sorted.
  • Player confidence was low when he came in. Has been doing various exercises with players to improve that (including speed dating).
  • Need the fans to get behind the team as that does have a big influence.

In my opinion I thought Gary came across well. I think we (Scottish) often look at someone who has confidence in themselves as being "Billy Big Spuds".

Any specific questions fire away and if my old memory holds up I will do my best to answer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Personally I thought it was a good meeting. That does not mean it was all smiles from everyone but sometimes you need to have difficult discussions before moving ahead.

I assume most people are more interested in the Q&A with the manager rather than the PTFC Trust meeting so will give a few points from that.

• Offers in place to Jai and Banzo. Players identified for January and looking for British players preferably with experience of Scottish football. Key element they must have is character.
  • When he first came in worked on counter pressing (getting ball back as soon as possible if lose it) then on being compact. Thinks we are better in both areas and we now need to get that final ball sorted.
  • Player confidence was low when he came in. Has been doing various exercises with players to improve that (including speed dating).

In my opinion I thought Gary came across well. I think we (Scottish) often look at someone who has confidence in themselves as being "Billy Big Spuds".

Any specific questions fire away and if my old memory holds up I will do my best to answer.

Did Gary Caldwell say what areas he would like to strengthen?

1 hour ago, Hankey said:

Not sure quitongo has done enough to get an extension offer to be honest 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Cheers for that Martin.

2 hours ago, Hankey said:

I don't get this. Surely there are more people with Thistle at heart who would scout players if asked and or offered some training?

Also if thats correct we rely on Caldwell (who lives in England) and Kerr to Scout all of Scotland?

When we got promoted last time is was built on several years of scouting young players at other Scottish clubs either plying their trade in the reserves of a club in a higher league (Lawless, Balatoni), picking up young players from lower league teams (Muirhead, Taylor-Sinclair) or by picking up a couple of undiscovered players in the juniors and devloping them (Doolan, Erskine).

Our success in recruiting form lower leagues in England is questionable and creates a gap between players and fans as we know their only here for wages. This however appears to be the direction of travel and its not working.

Surely the chairman's statement of " we must return to playing football like Partick Thistle – we can’t be anyone else" meant recruiting talent from Scotland not continuing to import older jouneymen players?

P.S. Sorry for the selective quoting

• Like 3

Thanks to Flashman for recording this and everybody else who was there who have quoted. A big thank you to the gentleman who told Caldwell it has not been good enough although I felt Caldwell did try and wriggle out of it. Yes the team was on a bad run when he came in,but we were not bottom of the league. And the results are no better. Once again January is going to be a big month. I feel once Caldwell is no longer a manager, the way he answers/doesn't answer questions he could become a politician.

14 minutes ago, laukat said:

I don't get this. Surely there are more people with Thistle at heart who would scout players if asked and or offered some training?

Also if thats correct we rely on Caldwell (who lives in England) and Kerr to Scout all of Scotland?

When we got promoted last time is was built on several years of scouting young players at other Scottish clubs either plying their trade in the reserves of a club in a higher league (Lawless, Balatoni), picking up young players from lower league teams (Muirhead, Taylor-Sinclair) or by picking up a couple of undiscovered players in the juniors and devloping them (Doolan, Erskine).

Our success in recruiting form lower leagues in England is questionable and creates a gap between players and fans as we know their only here for wages. This however appears to be the direction of travel and its not working.

Surely the chairman's statement of " we must return to playing football like Partick Thistle – we can’t be anyone else" meant recruiting talent from Scotland not continuing to import older jouneymen players?

P.S. Sorry for the selective quoting

Think we need to accept we’re not going to have a large scouting network, when McNamara became manager he relied on contacts and knowledge to pick up players that you mentioned and Stephen O’Donnell as well . During Ian McCall’s tenure we had the legend that was Bobby Dinnie who scouted Dools and Erskine from the Juniors 

Over the last few years that has all sadly went by the wayside and it’s usually agents trying to get their players clubs and we’ve obviously taken punts on players not having watched them Mukendi , Piccolo etc which is not really the way forward.

Surely the way to go is at least to have a Chief Scout to utilise contacts , watch players who are recommended etc , I’m sure that would be beneficial in the long run if we’re going to build teams from the Academy upwards .