Rumour, gossip or lies

7 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

What a ridiculous post , ill informed etc , clubs like us rely on business’  partly to do with sponsorship, corporate hospitality etc  and are an integral part of running any football club providing much needed funds. Jacqui Lowe only became chairwoman about 6 months ago  and unless she’s been playing Centre half not sure how’s she’s to blame ?

By the way , the business club started at least 20 years ago !!

Your post is crass at best regarding political persuasions, we’re a football club not a platform for what politics we believe in .

She's appointed a manager who's got one point from a possible 18.

But thanks for informing me about how we rely on sponsorship to exist. I was under the impression that prize money and tickets paid for running clubs, and success on the pitch was likely to increase sponsorship income. I now know that having a failed tory candidate speaking to entrepreneurs is how we become the next Chelsea.

23 minutes ago, bell said:

But thanks for informing me about how we rely on sponsorship to exist. I was under the impression that prize money and tickets paid for running clubs, and success on the pitch was likely to increase sponsorship income. I now know that having a failed tory candidate speaking to entrepreneurs is how we become the next Chelsea.

There are few people more anti-Tory than me, but I'd hate to see a thread on here about our results and recent history turn into a political slagging match. We come on here to talk about football, coaching, supporters, management etc. Everybody has their own political views; players and fans included. No need to drag those views into a football forum. There's always the "General Chat" forum nearby, or P&B, where anything goes. 

39 minutes ago, bell said:

Clueless 

3 hours ago, bell said:

^ Tory found

Politicians for the most part are birds of a feather, most of them are slimy dishonest chancers who wouldn't know a principle if it smacked them on the face. Furthermore, they will almost always feather their own nests before anyone else's.

Fortunately, there are a few exceptions to this and these rare beats can be found right across the political spectrum.

Bell; your blind hatred of the Tories is doing you a disservice, you're unwittingly handing your opponent a shield, to use as deflection to defend themselves against criticism and weakening the united case against them, by putting fellow supports at each others throats, which ironically, is an old Tory divide and rule tactic.

Nevertheless, you do make valid points regarding our manager and those responsible for appointing him.

They're playing at running a football club. They're running it into the ground.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bell said:

There's lots of criticisms to be made of our board (and I've made them in a separate thread). But to criticise the club for setting up a Business Club and trying to attract sponsorship (something the club has actually been really good at in the last 18 months or so) is...weird.

6 minutes ago, bell said:

its stated aims are to allow business people to network though, it says nothing about attracting sponsorship. that's what the club's business manager is supposed to do.

I assume you mean Ross Quaile, the commercial manager. With all our on-field woes I've not really been keeping up with off-field matters. In what way has he been failing to attract sponsorship?  

1 hour ago, bell said:

its stated aims are to allow business people to network though, it says nothing about attracting sponsorship. that's what the club's business manager is supposed to do.

So you think these business people are just brought into a room to network with no attempt to engage with them and seek to bring their sponsorship to the club? I have a strong suspicion you’ve no idea what you’re talking about. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

On 12/5/2018 at 7:30 PM, stolenscone said:

Hi there - everyone is entitled to an opinion (players and fans alike) but the bit about not changing the team doesn’t really tally with what I’ve seen since Caldwell took over.

Instead it looks to me that the manager is trying to alter formation and personnel from game to game where he can until he buys a result or a performance from an under achieving group of players that he can build on.

It’s clear for everyone to see that the players have no confidence, so he needs to be careful what he does, but the team selections don’t say to me that he’s unwilling to make changes. Perhaps there aren’t wholesale changes from game to game, but I for one understand the rationale for not doing that.

I’m not trying to defend Caldwell as being the right man for the job. Canddidly, I haven’t seen enough to form a view yet. But a lot of nonsense has been put out in forums over the last few weeks.

On the management side, we desperately need someone to build the player’s confidence. On the playing side, we need the squad to get beyond this mental block. The negativity is understandable, but unhelpful. There’s the irony. For me, in the absence of any obviously inexplicable decisions, the guy who is just in the door is the least culpable, for now at least. Confidence and trust are terribly hard to build, even more so in a hostile environment with added time pressure. The players are professional athletes, however, and it’s part of their job to work to get beyond this.

What is certain tho is that if the team can’t fudge their way to a couple of results soon, then it won’t matter who the manager is.

I started by saying that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally tho, I could do without seeing some of the more obviously silly posts. MY view is that it’s counter productive, given the problems that we so obviously have. But that’s just my view.

Anyway, I promised myself when I stepped back from the Jags Trust years ago that I would read, but not post. I’d really rather avoid getting drawn back in, so I’d be much better off sticking to that, supporting the team in my own way, and let people make their own decisions. I’ll do that now and not intrude any further.

SS

Ran out of likes, esp like the " I would read but not post " point.......dam it !!! the irony

On 12/6/2018 at 9:30 AM, jlsarmy said:

What a ridiculous post , ill informed etc , clubs like us rely on business’  partly to do with sponsorship, corporate hospitality etc  and are an integral part of running any football club providing much needed funds. Jacqui Lowe only became chairwoman about 6 months ago  and unless she’s been playing Centre half not sure how’s she’s to blame ?

By the way , the business club started at least 20 years ago !!

Your post is crass at best regarding political persuasions, we’re a football club not a platform for what politics we believe in .

I think a few might be missing his point. Then again perhaps it's me! Reading between the spaces and politicing, Bell is frustrated by the part the board are playing in the shambles our club is becoming. There might be a political motive behind the post but Bell isn't the first fan to get angry about the decision making of the clubs chair who has zero footballing background.

My original post was that ms low over ruled her trusted football aide mr britton, Bell shares the fruatration?

24 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I think a few might be missing his point. Then again perhaps it's me! Reading between the spaces and politicing, Bell is frustrated by the part the board are playing in the shambles our club is becoming. There might be a political motive behind the post but Bell isn't the first fan to get angry about the decision making of the clubs chair who has zero footballing background.

My original post was that ms low over ruled her trusted football aide mr britton, Bell shares the fruatration?

I don't think anyone is missing his point. It is the manner and construction of his post that is the bone of contention. And then when posters criticise him for it he is lashing out. Better making your point simply and directly rather than trying to flower it with your own agenda.

Just now, Garscube Road End said:

I don't think anyone is missing his point. It is the manner and construction of his post that is the bone of contention. And then when posters criticise him for it he is lashing out. Better making your point simply and directly rather than trying to flower it with your own agenda.

Fair point well made. 

23 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I assume you mean Ross Quaile, the commercial manager. With all our on-field woes I've not really been keeping up with off-field matters. In what way has he been failing to attract sponsorship?  

'Assume' being the operative, as  I made no comment on him directly.

3 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Thank you! At least somebody managed to look past the swearing and mentions of political parties and actually read the ******* post.

PS, it's not actually politically motived, it's motivated by the fact I believe her to be ******* useless.

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

So it's OK for people to abuse me directly? folk attack me and call me an idiot, and say my opinion doesn't matter? Good to know, thanks.

I'll try again.

I don't think Jacqui Low is the right person to be leading the club. She doesn't seem to know how to run a football club, or understand that it's not like running any other business. In addition, she appears to moving in certain political circles and trying to attract a certain type of person to the club under the auspices of a 'business club' when she should be concentrating on getting results on the pitch. If we don't start improving soon and getting results we'll be back in the 2nd division, struggling for cash, and if one follows a particularly pessimistic projection we could even be looking at another Save The Jags campaign. The best way to attract sponsorship money (other than chance encounters with eccentric millionaire art collectors) is by being a success on the pitch.

Edited by bell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bell said:

I'll try again.

I don't think Jacqui Low is the right person to be leading the club. She doesn't seem to know how to run a football club, or understand that it's not like running any other business. In addition, she appears to moving in certain political circles and trying to attract a certain type of person to the club under the auspices of a 'business club' when she should be concentrating on getting results on the pitch. If we don't start improving soon and getting results we'll be back in the 2nd division, struggling for cash, and if one follows a particularly pessimistic projection we could even be looking at another Save The Jags campaign. The best way to attract sponsorship money (other than chance encounters with eccentric millionaire art collectors) is by being a success on the pitch.

Agree.

Just now, bell said:

I'll try again.

Much better put, bit less political rhetoric but still the same point you made originally with which i agree given her/the boards performance ao far. No arguement from me.

As voltare said.........might not agree etc but will defend uour right to say it......or summit like that. All opinions count for something. It's what makes the forum worth reading or do we want it to be as bland and atmosphereless as a home game watched from the JHS

2 hours ago, bell said:

I'll try again.

I have a lot of concern about the leadership of the club, and some of the early signs (e.g. the atrocious PR) of the Chairman’s tenure are really concerning.  But I don’t think it’s a binary choice of either “concentrating on getting results on the pitch” or trying to attract businesses for sponsorship. You can do both at the same time, and both are mutually supportive. 

I do agree the Tories are scum, though. Just for the avoidance of doubt :)

30 minutes ago, allyo said:

Okay, I'm going to point out that Bell got criticised pretty strongly for bringing politics to it, but others seems happy to keep that going.

Personally I think Tories should be welcomed at Firhill. Same as everyone else. There. I said it.

The minute it starts being said on this forum or elsewhere  that you shouldn't be at Firhill because of your political choice then I really am done.

It is a football club. With supporters who have at least one common thing in their lives, Thistle.  Any clown who thinks they can dictate who should support the team because of the political party they support should have a real hard look at themselves..

Some of the sh1te I read on here is just wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1