Dunfermline 8/12/18

Auld Jag

We now have the first of 3 home league out of our next 4 this Saturday. Dunfermline are a bit up and down so far this season but had a good victory over Morton last week. We really need to start wining games or we are going to find ourselves detached at the bottom of the league. All of our 3 home games this month are imo winnable. A win this week should hopefully give the team confidence a defeat and it reinforces the argument that we have the wrong guy in charge.

Edited by Auld Jag

Couldn't believe how negative the Pars were against us at East End Pk. Regardless of how helpful we are at gifting goals I doubt they were anticipating us being quite so generous and would've happily settled for a point.  

The fact they appear to get better results away from home suggests they're better suited playing against teams that open up on them (we were equally negative that night at E E Pk). Don't believe that suits us and I feel if we want to get anything out of this game we're going to have to produce an extremely rare clean sheet. Usually more upbeat, particularly before a home game, but gut feeling tells me there's little to be confident about,  

Looking at our fixtures for December and January, they are much easier (on paper) than February and March - therefore regardless of whether you believe Caldwell will improve the squad immeasurably or not , we really need to start getting some results, especially in this run of 5 home games out of 7 games  between now and January against the teams presently sitting 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th. 

59 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Losing on Saturday would bring things to a head for the next game v Alloa, under those circumstances failure to beat Alloa would result in the end of his managerial career... 

I don't think that will happen - the outcome rather than the results!

The Board went 'All In' on Gary - it will be embarrassing for them to climb down from that, and whilst some fans believe he should be given a window, he will I am sure be given that window.

Also I am unsure we can afford paying off two managers simultaneously whilst staring down the barrel of third tier football.

So whilst I completely agree with your analysis of what the outcome ought to be, I don't think it will happen.

Just now, jaf said:

I don't think that will happen - the outcome rather than the results!

The Board went 'All In' on Gary - it will be embarrassing for them to climb down from that, and whilst some fans believe he should be given a window, he will I am sure be given that window.

Also I am unsure we can afford paying off two managers simultaneously whilst staring down the barrel of third tier football.

So whilst I completely agree with your analysis of what the outcome ought to be, I don't think it will happen.

Agree with this. The board have got themselves into a corner here. The financial burden of paying Archie off. The possible pay off of Caldwell. And the financial spectre of third division football. Financially the best option is to keep Caldwell even if we go down. 

8 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Agree with this. The board have got themselves into a corner here. The financial burden of paying Archie off. The possible pay off of Caldwell. And the financial spectre of third division football. Financially the best option is to keep Caldwell even if we go down. 

Giving a manager who has never managed in this country's leagues before, and who has been involved partially or wholly in 5 seasons, 4 of which ended in relegation (yes, with 1 promotion too), a straight 2 year contract is an astounding leap of faith IMO. (assuming there isn't a relegation termination clause)

Edited by jaf
  • Like 1

Don't think the support will tolerate failure to win in the next two games.  Not letting him go under those circumstances could be repeating the same "loyalty" failure with Archie, and risking going down.  So the question of affordability has to be seen against the potential barren landscape of "division 3". If you've made a mistake why persist in pretending you haven't.

Hopefully though we just start winning!

Edited by JAG1970

9 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Easily? Really Sandy? I see you still live in Archie's delusional world.

Maybe not easily, but a fair comparison is the away win over QoS in January. i don't think anyone was surprised by that, even though we were having a poor season. We were a league above and certainly big favourites to win that day. Eighteen months ago (i.e. when we were finishing top six or knocking 5 past St Mirren) we'd certainly have been expecting a comfortable win.

23 hours ago, sandy said:

This is a game we would have won easily 12-18 months ago. Now, I’m not so sure.

Football can be unpredictable. I remember in 2012 we beat Dunfermline 5-1 in the league at Firhill, then a few weeks later we played them in the cup and they beat us 1-0. We even missed a penalty. Paul Gallacher save. At the moment though we are very predictable, unfortunately in a really poor winless run way. Hope (that's all we have ) we turn it around and get 3 points this Saturday and hopefully (that word again) we will go on a good predictable run.

I dont think im alone in thinking its a matter of time before we stop pretending being shite and start getting a few wins. Its this same hope of 'we'll be awrite' that saw us sink last season, and will likely see us plummet further to the depths of league one.

Its staggering how poorly managed our club has been, from relative stability to freefall.

Saturday is a must win.

• Like 2

From the offical site:

"Gary Caldwell looks to continue his side’s improvement"

Not sure if this is sarcasm, trolling or we have a spin doctor that would make Alastair Campbell blush but if 1 point and 2 goals out of 6 games is an improvement I would hate to see what a downturn looks under Caldwell.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, laukat said:

From the offical site:

"Gary Caldwell looks to continue his side’s improvement"

Not sure if this is sarcasm, trolling or we have a spin doctor that would make Alastair Campbell blush but if 1 point and 2 goals out of 6 games is an improvement I would hate to see what a downturn looks under Caldwell.

Hard to disagree with that.

'Really good week in training'.  So that's ok then ...