Dunfermline 8/12/18

Auld Jag

19 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I feel better than James Brown

19 tequilas later - we have a deal!

A home win and a shut out - criticism goes back to the mob.

I feel better now. (Was Not Was - sometime in the eighties).

A long forgotten feeling makes a long overdue return.

Well done to Gary, the players and the management team. And above all, everyone who was able to make it today.

Hopefully this is the first of a long awaited winning streak.

• Like 1

Everyone played their part today, Sneddon made a couple of vital saves and kicked well as usual; Jeffries didn't do anything wrong, steady; McGinty won a lot of balls, some crap long passes; Scobbie read the game well; Elliot unlucky not to be man of the match, looked threatening and got up and down the park well; Penrice looked good cutting in from the left, particularly 1st half; Banzo nothing too flash but kept things moving; Spittal had a very good game all round, took his goal well and was sprinting back to close men down late in the game; Mutumbo looked threatening but wasteful with the ball on a few occasions; McCarthy had a few nice touches after coming on; Storey worked hard had a couple of chances before the goal, heading in the right directon, fingers crossed; Dools looks short of pace, but used the ball well and was helping out the defence on a few occasions. Erskine had no real impact in the time he was on and Quitongo rummled up their defence a bit when he came on for Storey. 

Dubious as to whether Storey's goal from the little flick actually crossed the line, but after the ghost goal I'll take it. Dunfermline were pish, but for the most part we looked motivated and well organised.

18 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Good all round performance. Spittal deserves motm. Special mention for Sneddon. Couple of vital saves. I was in my usual position in the JLstand,behind the goal  and the ball did cross the line just.

Totally agree with you. Young Sneddon in particular was immense today. My MOM.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

We rode our luck but we could have scored a few more. Spittal very deserved mom. Brave of Caldwell to remove mutumbo after 40 mins.....

Thought that was pretty poor of Caldwell actually, things like that will make or break the changing room...

Don't think mutumbo was having that poor a game and if it was only tactical surely it could have waited another minute until half time.

If Caldwell has done it to prove to the squad he's in charge then good on him and I hope it works.

5 minutes ago, P-T-118 said:

If Caldwell has done it to prove to the squad he's in charge then good on him and I hope it works.

Agree 100%.

Mutumbo's approach to closing opponents down  was , er, somewhat less than robust.

Few worrying things like misplaced passes (esp Elliott), and it was still heart in the mouth when the ball got  whipped into the box (less so as the game wore on).

Oddly I think Caldwell will be relishing be dying to get the next game up, so he can keep the momentum going. IT couldn't be a better fixture.

I think we've turned, or have begun to turn, the corner.

• Like 1

Spittal in central midfield was a revalation. That was like when we put Davie Irons at centre back. The last guy you'd trust to hang your team on; steps up. 

So happy to see Christie playing with some confidence again. So under-rated by many. At his best he'd be a top player in this league.

Doolan too deep for me, but we won and Storey looked more effective so I suppose things worked out. I wasn't claiming for a goal but I was a long way away.

Hooefully that will restore confidence. Need to get a run going.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

First game I have seen since we played Dundee United away.  What struck me was the improvement in fitness, attitude and workrate, with players chasing back to regain possession and scrapping for the ball right to the end - reminded me of the Lambie era.  Mutumbo was the only player not  to chase and scrap, so maybe that's why he was subbed so soon, giving a signal to the squad of what Caldwell expects of them.  A confidence boosting win  at a good time.

• Like 1

Good professional performance today, maybe a tad lucky that devines header hit the bar and bounced on the line but we deserve some luck finally.  The mutumbo sub was bizarre timing however I think it as the right personnel change. There was a throw in 5 minutes before the sub where mutumbo was "marking" Jimmy c, the ball landed less than 3 feet from him and he just allowed it to pass onto Jimmy for them to break upfield. I hope Caldwell is trying to get us to press high and not let players wander 40 yards unchallenged and if you don't work hard at helping your defence it won't be tolerated.

I also think the fact he didn't bother to handshake mccarthy on the way off was very poor and that he's the sort of player we can't afford when we are down the bottom. Would much rather play Quitongo with his physicality.

Spittal was immense today, best I've ever seen him in terms of work rate and also agree that Elliott played really well, especially pushing forward second half. 

Oh and please stop letting mcginty play it out from the back....hooof! Bring on the wasps next week. 

I'm not sure what to make of that today. Yet again my heart sank when I saw the line-up...Dunfermline hit the woodwork twice, Sneddon has two good saves and they failed to hit the target with a few decent chances...but it still felt like a reasonably comfortable win.

Dunfermline were a poor side and it confirmed that the current squad properly organised and motivated should be nearer the top than bottom of this League...Bannigan is too good to be playing at this level, Spittal had a fine game, Penrice was good going forward if a bit dopey sometimes in defence and Elliot looked much better. 

Not sure about Scobbie and can't say I noticed Jeffries do anything but we kept a clean sheet. Mutombo showed one great bit of skill but was otherwise wasteful...I'm not sure we will see much more of him. Storey scored!!...though from Camallain's  video it didn't look as if it crossed the line...and he failed to score with three one-on-ones with the Keeper.

The win should give a badly-needed confidence boost so let's hope it's onwards and upwards...we couldn't have gone any further downwards.

31 minutes ago, flashman said:

Everyone played their part today, Sneddon made a couple of vital saves and kicked well as usual; Jeffries didn't do anything wrong, steady; McGinty won a lot of balls, some crap long passes; Scobbie read the game well; Elliot unlucky not to be man of the match, looked threatening and got up and down the park well; Penrice looked good cutting in from the left, particularly 1st half; Banzo nothing too flash but kept things moving; Spittal had a very good game all round, took his goal well and was sprinting back to close men down late in the game; Mutumbo looked threatening but wasteful with the ball on a few occasions; McCarthy had a few nice touches after coming on; Storey worked hard had a couple of chances before the goal, heading in the right directon, fingers crossed; Dools looks short of pace, but used the ball well and was helping out the defence on a few occasions. Erskine had no real impact in the time he was on and Quitongo rummled up their defence a bit when he came on for Storey. 

Dubious as to whether Storey's goal from the little flick actually crossed the line, but after the ghost goal I'll take it. Dunfermline were pish, but for the most part we looked motivated and well organised.

Just home from game, best saturday at firhill for ages. Spot on flashman.

Would add that scobbie made a huge difference in the back 3/5. He was heads above all i've seen at the back in this league so far. Seemed to bring a calmness to mcginty and elliitt. Both elliot and penrice played like sod and ats used to when they first broke into the team, bombing forward but with the pace and stamina to get back.

Look, one game and one super performance doesn't mean we are back but it's great to see we are capable. Wow, some of our play took me back to 12/13 season, and a few passages took me back to, well the last 18 months!!

All in all, great game. As many have said on many threads, confidence breeds confidence and performances, a few more of these and we might be on our way to some form.

I and my mates have been critical of caldwell and i've been fearing the worst but today shows he's capable of reading games better than most. His sub just before the break was spot on imo and took balls. The players looked happy to ne there, and looked very together, more so than a lot recently. They looked fitter and towards the end still had running in them, better stamina. A lot to be happy about. Thanks to all of them for a much better saturday than we've had recently. And a better atmosphere than recent times, which of course was down to the performance and result

I was in JHS as near the goal line as anyone and it was deff over the line. Robinson clawed it back. His glove was fully into the goal to get to the ball........................that said, all these years later, i never saw joe never touch the ball at anfield

Congratulations to Caldwell in getting his first win today. Let’s hope it’s the first of many. Great attitude by the team today and Spittal had arguably his best game in a Thistle jersey, work rate too  in getting back to close down players was immense. Lots of good individual performances and the team clicked today. Yes we rode our luck a little but I thought the players displayed great mental strength today, 50/50s were mainly won by us, as well as some good play. Hopefully we build on this.

35 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

If someone is not performing then why wait another 5 mins to risk them giving a goal away?  Hook them.

Agree. I thought Mutumbo was having a dreadful game. Given the work rate put in throughout the rest of the team I'd be surprised if he was playing to manager's order.

As for the game itself, I felt we were rather fortunate not to concede in the first 45 minutes. In contrast we bossed most of the second half, absorbing pressure, Storey should really have scored a couple before the second goal. I, like everyone else I assume was nervous up until near the final whistle.  In reality I believe we saw the game out well for once and a neutral at the match would reckon we were never in much danger. 

Prior to today the defence has been guilty of kicking the ball out the park when not under serious pressure.  Today completely different, always attempting to get the ball up the flanks, keep the ball in play. So go easy on McGinty. His often dodgy distribution was more noticeable today simply cos he cut down on the Row Z option. Spittal undoubtedly deserved his MotM but both wingbacks and goalie ran him close. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

59 minutes ago, P-T-118 said:

Thought that was pretty poor of Caldwell actually, things like that will make or break the changing room...

Don't think mutumbo was having that poor a game and if it was only tactical surely it could have waited another minute until half time.

Just my opinion, i thought it a clever tactic to break play as they were pumping us with possession. A substitution that i expect he intended to make at half time anyway. I do hope that he took the time to explain to mutumbo. You're right he wasn't bad enough to warrant the apparent embarassment of sub before half time but he was our worst player. So far he is simply not good enough

What I thought strange about the substitution was that it initially pulled Spiital out from central midfield, on to the left side. This despite the fact that he was having a very good game in the centre. Eventually he appeared to find his way back to the centre, with McCarthy moved outside. Is this how others saw it?