Dunfermline 8/12/18

Auld Jag

I've been one of spittals biggest critics this season but need to take my hat off to him today he was superb. His work rate off the ball was matched by his endeavour on it. Well taken goal and it was great to see him turn and run at players again. Likewise I thought Elliot was brilliant and will do his confidence the world of good. The more I see sneddon the more I'm confident he could be our number one for a long time to come. His save right before halftime was world class. Liked the look of scobie at the back. He seemed to martial things and reads the game very well. Couldn't fault anyone really although I thought Doolan wasn't at his best. Did think it was a funny substitution at the time when mtumbo came off but fair play to Caldwell for acting swiftly to change something he didn't like. Id like the gaffer of my team to ring the changes when needed for the good of the team and not worry about hurting players feelings or wait till it's too late. Can understand mtumbo being upset at being subbed but to not shake McCarthys hand was disrespectful. 

I didn't notice spittal move wide allyo butvat that point i had my fingers over my eyes as they had enjoyed a lot of possession. My sons phone app said they had 61% in the first half. Bit high i thought but we did more with what we had. Lost Doo says it simply in his post. Dead right. Not sure we will see much more of mutumbo. He looks like he should be good, athletic build and quite fast but when he gets possession he looks like he's never seen a ball before. Baffling

Just now, lewcal said:

I've been one of spittals biggest critics this season but need to take my hat off to him today he was superb. His work rate off the ball was matched by his endeavour on it. Well taken goal and it was great to see him turn and run at players again. Likewise I thought Elliot was brilliant and will do his confidence the world of good. The more I see sneddon the more I'm confident he could be our number one for a long time to come. His save right before halftime was world class. Liked the look of scobie at the back. He seemed to martial things and reads the game very well. Couldn't fault anyone really although I thought Doolan wasn't at his best. Did think it was a funny substitution at the time when mtumbo came off but fair play to Caldwell for acting swiftly to change something he didn't like. Id like the gaffer of my team to ring the changes when needed for the good of the team and not worry about hurting players feelings or wait till it's too late. Can understand mtumbo being upset at being subbed but to not shake McCarthys hand was disrespectful. 

Ran out of likes. Agree 100% with yr sneddon assessment. He's miles better than cammy bell on that showing.

I was sure mutumbo acknowledged andy mccarthy then ignore everyone whilst throwing his gloves away as he entered the dugout. Glad he was pissed, if he'd have been happy i'd be more concerned

19 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Not sure we will see much more of mutumbo. 

Good. Another inspired signing by Archibald. Complete dud. We were well warned by ICT fans but Archibald knew best. Should be one of the first ones out the door in January - waste of a wage.

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Thank the Lord! Great result Jags. Now for our promotion push. 

Too religious for this forum......

Today was a good day. We created little but with better decisions could have been more. Storey was guilty of the above, Spittal never held back and must have ran the equivalent of garelochhead an back, but my motm goes to the linesman on the jhs side. Incredible decision making, gave us a goal, a goal kick from a stonewall freekick, absolute stick-on. Otherwise it was a most welcome 3 points, the shed was too quiet and relied on the kirky hoods as usual to sing the songs. On wards and upwards

Thought it was a reasonably even game overall. Both teams much better than the last encounter. Have watched the second goal repeatedly on Jagzone and still can't tell if it crossed the line. Spittle continues to baffle me; absolutely terrific yesterday. For me the difference between the sides. 3 desperately needed points.

Just watched Camallain's video from behind the goal and the goalie definitely saves it. Big break there. Feel ever so sorry for the ginger knob.

Edited by Muscat Jag

Just now, Muscat Jag said:

Thought it was a reasonably even game overall. Both teams much better than the last encounter. Have watched the second goal repeatedly on Jagzone and still can't tell if it crossed the line. Spittle continues to baffle me; absolutely terrific yesterday. For me the difference between the sides. 3 desperately needed points.

Agreed, most entertaining game so far under caldwell, hope a sign of things to come. Even game, yes but i thought we did more with our possession, we looked more threatening in front of goal and going forward. They did created chances and on another day and against a better front line we might have been punished but a huge first step in the right direction for a change.

Yes, spittals occassional blistering performances and then abject ones are baffling. Perhaps, like a lot of ball players, confidence dictates performances. That performance yesterday should boost his geeling of self worrh, he had the beating of every dunfermline player who tried to stop him. Now he needs to string a run of form to keep it going.

Can't wait for v alloa next saturday, been a while since i've felt like that

There’s audio of an interview with Caldwell on the Dunfermline site: https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Managers_Post_Partick_Thistle&ID=10985

edited to add: He says the Mutoumbo substitution was tactical, which surprised me. He took a knock early on and was then, er, economical in his commitment IMO, so I thought one of them might be the reason.

Edited by marcia blaine
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MonehJags said:

but my motm goes to the linesman on the jhs side. Incredible decision making, gave us a goal, a goal kick from a stonewall freekick, absolute stick-on. 

There were also two simple throw ins he rather bafflingly got wrong. Not that they'd have affected the outcome of the game. Nor would Clancy's weird decision to give us a foul just inside the Pars half in the first 45.  

Heard the interview and as Mutuombo was economical in his commitment, so Caldwell was economical with the truth!

I assume not wanting to slag the player off in public (but hopefully he did so in private).

If it really was tactical he could have waited another 60 seconds to half time which would be the logical time to do it.!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Heard the interview and as Mutuombo was economical in his commitment, so Caldwell was economical with the truth!

I assume not wanting to slag the player off in public (but hopefully he did so in private).

If it really was tactical he could have waited another 60 seconds to half time which would be the logical time to do it.!

Maybe Caldwell done to ram home his point.

Just before Mutuombo got subbed the man he should have been marking on the JHS side was given that much time on the ball he had that many options open to do anything it was freighting. It was that bad if it wasn't for my devout Christian upbringing a curse or two may have inadvertently crossed my lips, It was so bad our twelfth man with the flag was even shouting at him to get a tackle in.................Another one of Archibald's  ar*sholes that can get binned..........      

Someone who should be singled out for praise is young Jamie Sneddon. Think he had a very good game yesterday given the conditions. There were two driven shots in particular that bounced on the wet turf right in front of him, yet he smothered them perfectly. The guy is young and is going to make some mistakes, but I would have him over Bell any day of the week. Really encouraging to see a young keeper come in and play well. 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Can i refer the honourable gentleman to the post a few days ago, he used it to break play cos dunfermline were playing keep ball at the time imho. Clever really. Do substitution a minute before HF when you were going to do it anyway, just to break up play. Hard on the player you sub but ho hum, he was gash anyway

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Someone who should be singled out for praise is young Jamie Sneddon. Think he had a very good game yesterday given the conditions. There were two driven shots in particular that bounced on the wet turf right in front of him, yet he smothered them perfectly. The guy is young and is going to make some mistakes, but I would have him over Bell any day of the week. Really encouraging to see a young keeper come in and play well. 

I liked this but had to quote it too, he was superb. Discussion with mates during the game was that he is better (so far) than cerney. Better positioning awareness (of opposition players) & far better distrubution. Only concern was that for a few corners i'd have liked him to be more commanding in 6 yard box but our defence was very good on saturday so perhaps he didn't feel he needed to.

Also, thought that was Dools best game so far this season and i believe he's going to start scoring for fun if caldwell keeps playing him. He'd a few chances on saturday but his confidence seems so low that he kept taking an extra touch whereas the dools of a few seaaons ago would have just cracked it at goal. He needs to shoot on sight and the goals will come

A couple of positives and negatives.

Positives: 

Spittal has a game we have been wanting for a while.

My hope is not waiting a season to see it again...

Sneddon looks comfortable and our defenders look confident with him !

Bonzo worked his cojones off today and looks on way back to form.

Scobbie seem to organise the def nicely.

Three points and off the bottom of league.

Negatives:

McGinty his passing was shocking...KISS ...keep it simple stupid 

Mutombo I understand why he was subbed.

He a luxury player However, didn’t the manager know this before hand ??

Or was that the plan all along to prove a point ?!?

Scobbie ( I know I’m confusing) like keown lacks hight and pace.

We have a major lack of pace especially midfield.

Always that worry on getting caught 

As I said three points and off the bottom of the league.

Edited by Flycatcher

Just now, Flycatcher said:

We have a major lack of pace especially in midfield

Banzo keeps improving we'll struggle to keep him.

You are confusing, scobbie made a huge difference, defence seemd calmer. Lacks pace and height? Don't agree. I didn't see him caught out but you are right to praise his organisation skills.

Yes, mcginty's passing was wayward on at lrast 2 occassions but he was much improved on saturday. As has been posted already it was nice to see him try and use the ball and not hoof it but at least twice he put the ball out for a throw in cos it was the safest thing to do.

Lacking pace? Are you saying storie, spittal, mccarthy, fitzpatrick, mutumbo are slow? And penrice and elliott were excellent going forward too. Perhaps not generally fast but faster then the players they were up against on saturday. And quutongo is pretty quick too.

We are slow in our use of the ball when breaking out of defence but i don't agree we have slow players.

9 hours ago, Flycatcher said:

A couple of positives and negatives.

Positives: 

Spittal has a game we have been wanting for a while.

My hope is not waiting a season to see it again...

Sneddon looks comfortable and our defenders look confident with him !

Three points and off the bottom of league.

Negatives:

Mutombo I understand why he was subbed.

He a luxury player However, didn’t the manager know this before hand ??

Or was that the plan all along to prove a point ?!?

We have a major lack of pace especially midfield.

Always that worry on getting caught 

As I said three points and off the bottom of the league.

Think your being harsh on Spittal mate with your one good game a year comment - was one of our top scorers last season and currently joint top for this season, plus last year was youngest regular starter (McCarthy was not a regular). He has done far more this season than likes of Doolan, quitongo, storer, Storey, mutumbi etc etc