Alloa 15.12.18

westertonjagfan

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:38 PM, Thistleberight said:

No no no, jls and sabbath are onto something.

When you , as a team, are sh1te....get back to the basics.

Defend hard and dirty.

Run your socks off in midfield closing down the opposition. Keep one up top (we never do that so when we are under pressure there's no out ball)  to chase and harry and when the midfield win it back they have a target to aim for. Too often dools drifts out wide.

Long ball? Aye, if you have a big bullish target man to hold it up.

When you are in the sh1te you A/ keep the ball away from your own goal B/ get the ball into the oppositions goal area AND C/ shoot on sight.

What you don't do is A/ give up B/ try and play "football" C/ be gentlemanly.

In short we need a team of jim goodwin's, Big mad mental's, ghost's etc etc.

Once we master that we can then start to play.

Stop the f@ck trying to be a clever dick gary caldwell. Get back to the basics. All you need for that is fitness and a big heart!!! We've all got the heart, it's just the fitness that would let us down

Aye. The irony was that last week (after 'a great week in training') Caldwell's point was precisely about getting back to 'basic old  school values (blah, blah, blah)' such as above. Not much sign of them on Saturday.

Whilst never having been particularly pro- or anti- Caldwell (I'd have preferred Goodwin) I've felt all along that he needs to get rid of a lot of deadwood, and bring his own people in. Having said that, his 'progress' this far isn't warming the cockles of my heart. Indeed I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of handing him a bundle of tenners to spend in the January window.

Just now, Semi Nurainen said:

Aye. The irony was that last week (after 'a great week in training') Caldwell's point was precisely about getting back to 'basic old  school values (blah, blah, blah)' such as above. Not much sign of them on Saturday.

Whilst never having been particularly pro- or anti- Caldwell (I'd have preferred Goodwin) I've felt all along that he needs to get rid of a lot of deadwood, and bring his own people in. Having said that, his 'progress' this far isn't warming the cockles of my heart. Indeed I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of handing him a bundle of tenners to spend in the January window.

Thats a great point too semi. On the basis of what the board have seen so far do they give caldwell cash? I don't see how they can't given their behaviour over archie.

Personally i wouldn't, based wholly on his performance so far. I'm "just" a fan but so are they....allegedly. IMHO they should decide that based on performance thus far you are getting no money to spend.

Then give it a week or two to see what GC's response is, i'd expect him to mouth off in the media and hope he walks (never gonna happen) then remove him. Sack him. Whatever it takes. Have balls to say, as a board we got it wrong, and are acting pro actively to get it right. Thanks gary but it wasn't working. We have acted in the best interests of ptfc. We are but custodians. We act to save our club from another disasterous relegation.

Performance is poorer, there has been no upturn in form or wins. Crowds are down, we couldn't let this go on blah blah blah....best wishes in future career blah blah blah..........our new manager will be given the funds we didn't trust you to use to good effect.........aye right, sleepwalk into another relegation more like

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

If you cant hold a lead even against a team who were two divisions below us last year, and cant win at home against the least fancied part time side in the division … where do you go from here?

3 wins out of 29 games tells its own story.

The bus has gone on where do we go.. We should have went for Goodwin as I and others stated when we still had a choice.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

What match evaluation? Team was on the piss in fancy  dress in Newcastle on Saturday night and in Liverpool today

If I’d been Caldwell, I’d have cancelled that and got them in for extra training. Seriously what is going on?

Edited by sandy

Just watched the official Alloa highlights on Youtube (superior quality to PTTV, and free to view.....): Bannigan was very lucky not to have been sent off, and we got a couple of favourable decisions from the ref.

Also watched Raith Rovers vs. Dumbarton (also superior quality to PTTV, and free to view..... there seems to be a pattern here). A 40-yarder from Ross Forbes, though the goalie didn't look too great. The quality of the football looks quite similar to what Thistle are serving up these days.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:13 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't shoot the messenger. According to Caldwell we're playing three at the back as without Slater we don't have enough energy to accompany Bannigan in midfield. 

Really doesn't add up.

Having said the 3 at the back set up was brutal, I did see that Liverpool were pretty good at it.

Their CB's were brave enough to go to aid of the wing-backs however, whilst also staying strong in the middle.

Our lot just see it as a chance to hide in a pack in the middle and then bring the wing-backs in to defend as if full-backs.

How Lawless stuck it, I'll never know. 

This is a late reply for what was only my 2nd Caldwell era game.

I am a normal football fan so in theory that means I know f all about the game.  BUT I know that if you play a back 3 and do not have a dominant player who can carry the ball from the back and sit in front of the other 2 when you have possession then you have a BIG space between midfield and defence.  Alloa were getting into the "number 10" space all the time.

No one was terrible but we sat back.  Our midfield was overrun in the 2nd half.  We were not pressing high up which I thought he wanted to do.  Storey was playing like a number 9 and Doolan a 10.   I'm sorry but Storey has to go.  He has pace and strength but it's just not working out for him.

Get back to a back 4.  Keep Spittal in CM.  Get Dools as number 9.  Maybe a 4-3-3?

Sneddon

Elliott, Scobie, McGinty, Penrice

McCarthy, Spittal, Bannigan

??? Doolan ???

Personally up front I'd go Erskine (link up with Dools) and Storer (potential and grit).  Young Aiden can do a job and i thought Mutombo had potential but he was bombed out v Dunfermline.

Edited by Lambies Lost Doo
  • Like 1