Who's your favourite player of the last decade?

Jaggernaut

No particular reason for starting this, though Dools' birthday might just have sparked it....

There have been plenty of ups and downs, and a handful of players have stood out (in a good way). People's opinions will differ, of course, but contenders would probably include

Kenny Arthur

Archie

Lindsay

Erskine

Doolan

For me it's gotta be Dools, but I really loved ATS's marauding runs, and regret that we didn't see Liam Lindsay getting even better with us.

Dools - there is no other option.

He's stuck with us through thin, thick and now thin again. Never taken any other club's shilling, although he may have had opportunities to do so.

He lives and breathes Thistle, because - in his own words - we are his club.

His level of commitment to Thistle comes from a bygone age, and those of us fortunate enough to witness it right now should appreciate it while he's still here.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

He's stuck with us through thin, thick and now thin again. Never taken any other club's shilling, although he may have had opportunities to do so.

His level of commitment to Thistle comes from a bygone age, and those of us fortunate enough to witness it right now should appreciate it while he's still here.

Dools, for the exact same reasons.

Dools has been fantastic, but for sheer watchability (unpredictable too) it would to be Erskine for me.  

Both are really grounded, humble and don’t have the ‘big time charlie’ attitude. Great ambassadors for Thistle - and future football coaches too.

Edited by sandy

12 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Couldn't agree more. Erskine a close second, not just for what he has done on the field. When he and Booth visited Robert in hospital just over 2 years ago, they put a smile on our boys face that we will never forget. A true gent.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

No particular reason for starting this, though Dools' birthday might just have sparked it....

There have been plenty of ups and downs, and a handful of players have stood out (in a good way). People's opinions will differ, of course, but contenders would probably include

Kenny Arthur

Archie

Lindsay

Erskine

Doolan

For me it's gotta be Dools, but I really loved ATS's marauding runs, and regret that we didn't see Liam Lindsay getting even better with us.

Assuming you mean the last 10 years, did Kenny Arthur not leave about 12 years ago or thereabouts?

Chris Erskine is the perfect foil to Kris Doolan. Kris has shown his love for the club by staying when he could have left. Chris left, but could never settle. He is just such a Thistleish player, that wearing another team's strip was not right and was an offence against the natural Squiddy order. In his second season at Dundee United he proved that he was a good player who could hold his own at Premiership level. But that was mere preparation for his return to his spiritual home. Like the prodigal son he realised the love he had left behind and made his way back to be received by welcoming arms. Kris & Chris could be a fantastic movie script.

I cannot really separate them in the pantheon of Thistle greatness.  Between them they have scored some fantastic goals and I have been privileged to see just about all of them at first hand. As said before they are top characters, humble and self-effacing, players who can laugh at themselves, who love and care about their club and help to make us proud to be Thistle fans.

• Like 2

My list would include Mark Roberts, Liam Buchanan, Ross Forbes, ATS, Steven O'Donnell, Lyal Taylor and James Craigen (for that goal). Thought Liam Lindsay would go on to be a great player (and losing him was a big factor in our relegation). 

Have enjoyed watching Banzo develop and Squiddy has been wonderful and frustrating in equal measures.

However, for me Doolan is already a legend and we won't fully appreciate what he has done for the club until he is no longer here. 

5 hours ago, Motherwell Jag said:

My list would include Mark Roberts, Liam Buchanan, Ross Forbes, ATS, Steven O'Donnell, Lyal Taylor and James Craigen (for that goal). Thought Liam Lindsay would go on to be a great player (and losing him was a big factor in our relegation). 

Have enjoyed watching Banzo develop and Squiddy has been wonderful and frustrating in equal measures.

However, for me Doolan is already a legend and we won't fully appreciate what he has done for the club until he is no longer here. 

Liam Buchanan often seems to slip under the radar.... and not just because of his height. He was really good for us at the time.

Kris Doolan. A footballing legend. A gentleman and a role model.  Whenever i see him i have to stop myself running up and asking for his autograph. (I am 10 years older than him.)

Conrad Balatoni.  Struggled at first on loan.  Became a good defender eclipsing Muirhead (and others) and held his own in the Premiership. That big move just didn't come about and I was hoping he would re-sign for us butit eas not to be.  Again a nice guy with an infectious personality.  Remember him bouncing over to the touchline with Christies winner v Airdrie.

Chris Erskine. Those goals. Those runs.  That nose.  Humble guy.  Loves the club.  We love him back.

Special mentions to Archie (still miss him), Paul Paton (real leader, not everyones cup of tea but you want him in your side) and Paul Gallacher which is random but who seemed to always save penalties.