Thistle vs. Morton, 29/12/18

Jaggernaut

Prediction:

Thistle 1, Morton 2.

Our defence is chronically rotten, especially the central defenders. About the worst I can remember since the days of Brannigan.

For some reason we don't create many chances to score.... lack of movement by the front runners, a staid and defensive midfield.... both of these? Anyway, despite other managers saying that we are "excellent", we are easy to beat. There is no good reason to expect anything different on Saturday.

Another prediction: the lowest attendance of the year (unless a big Morton support turns up in expectation of a win).... probably to get even lower in the New Year as supporters decide there are many better ways to spend 50 quid or so. Some of those who have had enough may never return.  

If they had been doing their job properly, the forum's moderators should have stepped in and removed any mention of  Kenny Brannigan.  No one comes close to him (with perhaps the exception of the Callaghans) for sheer ineptitude.  My last sighting of him was at New Bayview when you could hear Alan Archibald telling him where to stand, what to do next and what to do with the ball.  Those were dark days and I shudder at the thought of returning to them.  Some big decisions need to be made in the next couple of months by manager and Board. 

• Like 1

Morton are on worse run of form than us.  Although they might argue that they have had a harder run of fixtures of late and a result on Saturday would see us and then swap positions with regard that form. 

Unfortunately I suspect both managers would gladly take a draw which could make for an uninspiring match just to drive away a few more fans  I am going to go for a drab 1-1 draw  

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Prediction:

Thistle 1, Morton 2.

Our defence is chronically rotten, especially the central defenders. About the worst I can remember since the days of Brannigan.

For some reason we don't create many chances to score.... lack of movement by the front runners, a staid and defensive midfield.... both of these? Anyway, despite other managers saying that we are "excellent", we are easy to beat. There is no good reason to expect anything different on Saturday.

Another prediction: the lowest attendance of the year (unless a big Morton support turns up in expectation of a win).... probably to get even lower in the New Year as supporters decide there are many better ways to spend 50 quid or so. Some of those who have had enough may never return.  

Jeezo. These are pretty tough times but this post makes me want to join the Christmas turkey in the oven! 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Haha 2

On 12/24/2018 at 2:56 AM, Jaggernaut said:

This is a great point and one the board should be very concerned about.

Re your defence comment. I've seen worse just can't remember tha pairing. One had a perma tan and owned a gym, came from clyde i think. The solution was to move kenny watson to centre half, what a servant he was. Afraid my 53 year old brain isn't working!!!! The zenith was a 5-1 humbling at old broomfield.

Oh, nil nil borefest. Based on Got two mates who go to cappielow and they report that ton are pants and thank goodness for falkirk and thistle

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

This is a great point and one the board should be very concerned about.

Re your defence comment. I've seen worse just can't remember tha pairing. One had a perma tan and owned a gym, came from clyde i think. The solution was to move kenny watson to centre half, what a servant he was. Afraid my 53 year old brain isn't working!!!! The zenith was a 5-1 humbling at old broomfield.

Oh, nil nil borefest. Based on Got two mates who go to cappielow and they report that ton are pants and thank goodness for falkirk and thistle

Just spoke to my Brother in law who is also a Morton fan and he said the exact same thing a 0-0. I told him they will win 1-0 or 2-0. We will have all the possession and more corners than them, but they will score with the only chance or chances they will have. But the Morton manager will say we are the best team they have played.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Just spoke to my Brother in law who is also a Morton fan and he said the exact same thing a 0-0. I told him they will win 1-0 or 2-0. We will have all the possession and more corners than them, but they will score with the only chance or chances they will have. But the Morton manager will say we are the best team they have played.

And our manager will say what a great week of training we had.....again......

40 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Ran out of laughs.

It'd be funny were it not so tragic.

Mr moderator clark.....less messages about complaints etc and more like, haha's etc

Just now, Auld Jag said:

Wanted to like this. But I have none left.:happy2:

Haha, you too? Is it of any significance that there are more poeple browsing since "call the midwife" started on beeb?

Here's one. I got asked today if there was ever football played on a Christmas day ? by a younger person in the family. I can't for the life of me remember for sure but seem to have a very distant memory of there being games at some level on. I just can't remember and cannot be archied going on google.

I have some memory of my dad, his brother (my uncle) and his mates going to firhill one christmas eve with blow torches or similer and some mention being made of trying to thaw out the pitch for a game the following day. Of course this could be a "fake" memory caused by way too many sneaked advocate and lemonades at the time but............?

Edited by Guest
Spelling mistook

Just now, Auld Jag said:

Wanted to like this. But I have none left.:happy2:

But you have roberts emoji's which is very unfair in a jealous kind of way. Hope your day was full of family and stuff auld jag, was thinking bout you

Just now, Thistleberight said:

But you have roberts emoji's which is very unfair in a jealous kind of way. Hope your day was full of family and stuff auld jag, was thinking bout you

Was always just Robert, Eunice and myself on Christmas day. We used to phone both sets of parents and then just relax and eat. 2010 we lost Eunice's father , in 2012 my mother died and 2014 my father died. So today it was just Eunice and myself and we phoned her mother and brother. We relaxed, ate and watching the telly. Of course young Robert was mentioned, he is never far from our minds no matter where we are. Thanks for your kind thoughts. By the way the emoji's are on the Thistle forum page.

• Haha 1

Just now, Auld Jag said:

Was always just Robert, Eunice and myself on Christmas day. We used to phone both sets of parents and then just relax and eat. 2010 we lost Eunice's father , in 2012 my mother died and 2014 my father died. So today it was just Eunice and myself and we phoned her mother and brother. We relaxed, ate and watching the telly. Of course young Robert was mentioned, he is never far from our minds no matter where we are. Thanks for your kind thoughts. By the way the emoji's are on the Thistle forum page.

We'd planed a few coming but my daughter has flu, the wee man has a aore throat and my auld mum alao had flu and couldn't be bothered coming out. So like you guys we had dinner, took some round to my mums and back to the house for some dancin programme.

Funny old day is Christmas. Never the same two years in a row. The older we get the more we miss those not about anymore. All the best to you and mrs AJ for the rest of the evenin

Just now, Thistleberight said:

We'd planed a few coming but my daughter has flu, the wee man has a aore throat and my auld mum alao had flu and couldn't be bothered coming out. So like you guys we had dinner, took some round to my mums and back to the house for some dancin programme.

Funny old day is Christmas. Never the same two years in a row. The older we get the more we miss those not about anymore. All the best to you and mrs AJ for the rest of the evenin

Thanks. Hope everybody gets better soon. Hope we can get 3 points on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

Haha, you too? Is it of any significance that there are more poeple browsing since "call the midwife" started on beeb?

Here's one. I got asked today if there was ever football played on a Christmas day ? by a younger person in the family. I can't for the life of me remember for sure but seem to have a very distant memory of there being games at some level on. I just can't remember and cannot be archied going on google.

I have some memory of my dad, his brother (my uncle) and his mates going to firhill one christmas eve with blow torches or similer and some mention being made of trying to thaw out the pitch for a game the following day. Of course this could be a "fake" memory caused by way too many sneaked advocate and lemonades at the time but............?

Full card Christmas day 1971

Thistle 0  Ayr Utd 1

Just now, BILL.H said:

Full card Christmas day 1971

Thistle 0  Ayr Utd 1

Thanks Bill. Was that regular back then?  Was there public transport? Seems mental now but i think i remember my dad going on Christmas day and New Years too. I was only 5 in '71 so it might even be before that

7 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Thanks Bill. Was that regular back then?  Was there public transport? Seems mental now but i think i remember my dad going on Christmas day and New Years too. I was only 5 in '71 so it might even be before that

Certainly New Year’s Day games were regular irrespective of the day it fell on. Also used to play on 2nd Jan as well.

15 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Certainly New Year’s Day games were regular irrespective of the day it fell on. Also used to play on 2nd Jan as well.

Yep; it was usually against the Ibrox mob on the Ne'erday (even into the 70s). No public transport, if I recall. Sometimes it was Clyde; and going back further, Third Lanark. 

I've no recollection whatsoever of how I made it to Firhill on 1/1/71 (vs. Stirling Albion) or Firs Park on 2/1/71 (East Stirling), but glad I did, as we won both 2-0, on our way to becoming Div. 1 Champions. Still got the programmes too!

Edited by Jaggernaut

54 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Yep; it was usually against the Ibrox mob on the Ne'erday (even into the 70s). No public transport, if I recall. Sometimes it was Clyde; and going back further, Third Lanark. 

I've no recollection whatsoever of how I made it to Firhill on 1/1/7 (vs. Stirling Albion) or Firs Park on 2/1/71 (East Stirling), but glad I did, as we won both 2-0, on our way to becoming Div. 1 Champions. Still got the programmes too!

I'm almost certain Glasgow Corporation ran a limited bus service. Think it depended on volunteer drivers.