Thistle vs. Morton, 29/12/18

Jaggernaut

13 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Haha, you too? Is it of any significance that there are more poeple browsing since "call the midwife" started on beeb?

Here's one. I got asked today if there was ever football played on a Christmas day ? by a younger person in the family. I can't for the life of me remember for sure but seem to have a very distant memory of there being games at some level on. I just can't remember and cannot be archied going on google.

I have some memory of my dad, his brother (my uncle) and his mates going to firhill one christmas eve with blow torches or similer and some mention being made of trying to thaw out the pitch for a game the following day. Of course this could be a "fake" memory caused by way too many sneaked advocate and lemonades at the time but............?

Here's the full Christmas Day list.  18 in all.  W6, D3, L9.  Not particularly rewarding.  

25-Dec 1886-87   ST MIRREN A 1 2 F
25-Dec 1897-98   HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN A 2 6 SFL1
25-Dec 1909-10   HIBERNIAN H 3 1 SFL1
25-Dec 1915-16   GREENOCK MORTON  A 1 0 SFL1
25-Dec 1920-21   ABERDEEN A 3 0 SFL1
25-Dec 1926-27   FALKIRK H 0 1 SFL1
25-Dec 1929-30   QUEEN'S PARK H 1 0 SFL1
25-Dec 1930-31   MOTHERWELL H 0 3 SFL1
25-Dec 1936-37   ST MIRREN H 1 1 SFL1
25-Dec 1937-38   ABERDEEN H 3 1 SFL1
25-Dec 1943-44   ALBION ROVERS A 1 2 SDIV
25-Dec 1948-49   GREENOCK MORTON  H 1 0 SFL1
25-Dec 1951-52   DUNDEE H 1 3 SFL1
25-Dec 1952-53   THIRD LANARK A 1 3 SFL1
25-Dec 1954-55   HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN H 4 4 SFL1
25-Dec 1956-57    RAITH ROVERS H 1 1 SFL1
25-Dec 1965-66   FALKIRK A 0 2 SFL1
25-Dec 1971-72   AYR UNITED H 0 1 SFL1

Just now, Jaggernaut said:

Yep; it was usually against the Ibrox mob on the Ne'erday (even into the 70s). No public transport, if I recall. Sometimes it was Clyde; and going back further, Third Lanark. 

I've no recollection whatsoever of how I made it to Firhill on 1/1/7 (vs. Stirling Albion) or Firs Park on 2/1/71 (East Stirling), but glad I did, as we won both 2-0, on our way to becoming Div. 1 Champions. Still got the programmes too!

Thats some impressive dedication right there

Just now, a f kincaid said:

Here's the full Christmas Day list.  18 in all.  W6, D3, L9.  Not particularly rewarding.  

25-Dec 1886-87   ST MIRREN A 1 2 F
25-Dec 1897-98   HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN A 2 6 SFL1
25-Dec 1909-10   HIBERNIAN H 3 1 SFL1
25-Dec 1915-16   GREENOCK MORTON  A 1 0 SFL1
25-Dec 1920-21   ABERDEEN A 3 0 SFL1
25-Dec 1926-27   FALKIRK H 0 1 SFL1
25-Dec 1929-30   QUEEN'S PARK H 1 0 SFL1
25-Dec 1930-31   MOTHERWELL H 0 3 SFL1
25-Dec 1936-37   ST MIRREN H 1 1 SFL1
25-Dec 1937-38   ABERDEEN H 3 1 SFL1
25-Dec 1943-44   ALBION ROVERS A 1 2 SDIV
25-Dec 1948-49   GREENOCK MORTON  H 1 0 SFL1
25-Dec 1951-52   DUNDEE H 1 3 SFL1
25-Dec 1952-53   THIRD LANARK A 1 3 SFL1
25-Dec 1954-55   HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN H 4 4 SFL1
25-Dec 1956-57    RAITH ROVERS H 1 1 SFL1
25-Dec 1965-66   FALKIRK A 0 2 SFL1
25-Dec 1971-72   AYR UNITED H 0 1 SFL1

Wow, thanks a f. I sure wish there'd been a game on yesterday to break the tedium of pants telly, chocolate for breakfast and Christmas cake for lunch. Hellraising times the above.

I'd be delighted to have Christmas day football back, the players might not but perhaps a slight increase on costs to get in could give them an enhanced rate for a public holiday

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I've no recollection whatsoever of how I made it to Firhill on 1/1/7 (vs. Stirling Albion) or Firs Park on 2/1/71 (East Stirling), but glad I did, as we won both 2-0, on our way to becoming Div. 1 Champions. 

I've no idea how I got to these games either. Then again back in those days I'd have trouble knowing even who I was on New Years Day.

13 hours ago, BILL.H said:

I'm almost certain Glasgow Corporation ran a limited bus service. Think it depended on volunteer drivers.

I also have a vague memory of something like that. That would account for getting to Firhill on the 1st, but East Stirling the next day.......??? Maybe supporters buses ran? Or even a train?

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

If we lose this game , should the board pull the trigger and fire Caldwell?

Thoughts?

Definitely provided they had the foresight to insert a probationary period and bearing in mind that if it's a three month clause we are approaching the end of that period. 

You've almost got me hoping that Thistle lose but I really don't think our leaders have the balls to enact such a clause even if we get hammered. 

More bad times are just around the corner methinks. 

6 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

In terms of team ( I say that loosely ) I would go:

Sneddon (gk)

Elloit (rb)

Jeffries (cb)

Kewon (cb)

Penrice (lb)

Slater (cm)

Mcarthy (cm)

Spittal (cam)

Erskine (rw)

Fitzpartick (lw)

Doolan (st)

Back to everyone’s favourite 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

That is the same team as I posted on another thread, the only exception being that I had McGinty while you had Keown. I accept that McGinty has his limitations but he does seem to be committed and he does have the odd good moment. Keown probably ought to be a better player, but is not showing it and I suspect the truth is that he really does not want to be here.

12 hours ago, Big Col said:

If we lose this game , should the board pull the trigger and fire Caldwell?

Thoughts?

Yes but they won't. 3 points and this discussion will be redundant for another week

6 hours ago, partickthedog said:

That is the same team as I posted on another thread, the only exception being that I had McGinty while you had Keown. I accept that McGinty has his limitations but he does seem to be committed and he does have the odd good moment. Keown probably ought to be a better player, but is not showing it and I suspect the truth is that he really does not want to be here.

Mcginty and Kewon are both not good enough but Kewon has better distribution imo.

1 hour ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Mcginty and Kewon are both not good enough but Kewon has better distribution imo.

I think McGinty has better distribution than Keown. But that's like saying Crippen was a better doctor than Harold Shipman.

Probably better McGinty starts ahead of Keown simply as he's left sided.   

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I think McGinty has better distribution than Keown. But that's like saying Crippen was a better doctor than Harold Shipman.

Probably better McGinty starts ahead of Keown simply as he's left sided.   

Funniest post of the year :lol: We also had the stupidest post today as well on another thread

4 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Does anyone know if the players have had a good week in training?

Just watched Mr Caldwell’s prematch interview there. Not much on training as the lads have been away enjoying Christmas with their nearest and dearest. He’d have preferred to have had a game on Wednesday but SPFL incompetence put the kibosh on that eventuality.

48 minutes ago, Big Col said:

If our recent games are results of a good week in training, I’d hate to see us play when we’ve had a bad one.

Reversing psychology with this bunch may not be such a bad thing...

Another must win game tomorrow, only Banzo missing from the current squad due to suspension. I’d assume Slater will come in for him on a like for like basis. 

I’m undecided if we go with three at the back or revert to a flat back four. I’m thinking we’ll probably stick with three at the back for this one with Banzo missing. 

Sneddon

Jeffries Scobbie McGinty 

Elliott McArthy Slater Penrice 

Fitzpatrick

Storey.                             Doolan