Thistle vs. Morton, 29/12/18

Jaggernaut

I genuinely think it was a mistake to have taken Storey off when we did. He was causing them real problems at the time and I genuinely think Morton were glad to see the back of him (the sign of a bad substitution). I also think that Doolan putting Storey’s flick in was every bit as bad a mistake as any  which led to their goals, and equally cost us a goal. Without that Storey would have got his second back-flicked goal in 4 games.

22 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

The standard in this Division is not that high. From what I have seen at Firhill this season Morton, Falkirk and Dunfermline, were really poor sides,  we were far better than Queen of the South and about level with Inverness and part-time Alloa.  Scobbie, McGinty and Storey are not up to standard but you don't need phenomenal players in this Division...Ayr have Mark Kerr, Declan McDaid and Jamie Adams in their side.

They also have a manager who knows what he is doing.

19 minutes ago, Big Col said:

“It’s my responsibility to get us out of the position we’re in”

GC post match comment.

Only way he can get us out the position we are in (which he got us in by the way) is by resigning. Tonight.

Exactly we are now in the bottom 2 , a lower position than when he was appointed manager. And he was appointed manager to get us promotion. If we do stay up with him in charge he will probably expect a bonus and contract extension for saving us from relegation.

27 minutes ago, laukat said:

That was my first game since we got beat 5-1 in Greenock. I swore I wouldn't go back whilst Caldwell was the manager but my need to see Thistle was greater than my resolve.

First half was absolutely rotten. Dick Campbell levels of rotten.The players fears taking responsibilty as they have had it drummed it to them to keep possesion at all costs.

Second half, Erskine being on quickened our passing slightly and game more space for Slater to play in. However we didn't seriously look like scoring and had to rely on a very good Slater strike to get back into the game. We have no attacking plan other than put more attackers on and hope the come up with something. We need a manager who can implement an attacking plan. Either we go for balls down the channels for faster players like to Storey to run onto or we're going for quick one touch passing as per Erskine  or we're going for width and early crosses into the box for a Doolan to get onto. Today we had no observable plan.

First goal we lost looked like Elliot made a hash of defending it and Sneddon went for a ball that he probably should have left. Second goal was predictable after the halftime subs. Whilst Keown isn't quick he's faster that Scobie or McGinty and playing four at the back with Elliot and Penrice pushing up meant it was always likely we would get caught for pace through the middle at least once.

Last time I watched Thistle away at Morton Christie sold at least one goal and then the managers defensive tinkering cost us the game. 7 games later its almost the same. The only thing that saved us from getting more comprehensivley beaten is that Morton are a poorer team than the last time. If Tidser had been playing today we would have lost by a few.

After the game at Greenock I said Caldwell should have been sacked as his half-time subs were incompetent. Today was worse because he no longer has the excuse of saying he was just getting to know the squad and he's also had a number of weeks to bring in a right-back. Is there anyone still saying we should keep him?

P.S. When did the banners on the floodlights saying "Just Score" and "Just Win" get put up? Really naff half-baked phsycological nonsense. Would be better saying "Just don't be p@sh"

The banners have been on the floodlights for a few years I think. I remember looking at them a few times last season and thinking how ironic it was having these posters up, Even worse this season.

Just now, Legs Like A Spider said:

The big game is home to Stranraer in the Cup.  If / when we lose that his position becomes untenable!!

We will have a 6 pointer v Falkirk at firhill the week before.  They are a terrible team. Lose that and he should be nowhere near the Stranraer game! 

1 minute ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

The big game is home to Stranraer in the Cup.  If / when we lose that his position becomes untenable!!

Totally agree. Didn’t want Caldwell in from the start. Jaqui low is as much to blame though. Anyone could see we needed a whole new approach and Caldwell’s tactics are too similar to Archie. We should have appointed someone with experience in this division so we could steady the ship. Could be too late. The Gary harkins contract is an absolute joke. The board are a laughing stock. Bet harkins couldn’t believe his luck with an 18 month contact.

11 minutes ago, northjag said:

Totally agree. Didn’t want Caldwell in from the start. Jaqui low is as much to blame though. Anyone could see we needed a whole new approach and Caldwell’s tactics are too similar to Archie. We should have appointed someone with experience in this division so we could steady the ship. Could be too late. The Gary harkins contract is an absolute joke. The board are a laughing stock. Bet harkins couldn’t believe his luck with an 18 month contact.

Caldwell probably couldn't believe his luck a team gave him a 2 year contract as manager.

2 hours ago, ironfist said:

That first half was awful. No creativity whatsoever until erskine came on. Never want to see storey in a thistle shirt again he is absolutely honking. Two centre halfs badly needed along with a centre forward. Unfortunately McCarthy is not good enough either- he doesn’t have the energy required to play centre mid never mind ability. I think Caldwell will be given the window but I have to say he does not endear himself 

Disagree . Thought he was very good today- won loads of tackles and did not waste many balls. One of the best today.

1 hour ago, Hugh Janus said:

Storey actually does a good job making runs, using his strength and getting to the ball. It's hard to see who else in the team could fill that role. The problem is when he gets the ball there is very, very, very, very rarely any end product. Caldwell has to figure out that it doesn't matter if he's fast and strong because he does not produce any opportunities. 

Our defense needs to both move the ball quicker and learn how to commit an opposition player. Too many times a defender (McGinty) who's under no pressure just punts it forward. Why is he not bringing it forward and committing one of their men to open up space for one of our other players. It's just basics! So feckin' frustrating!!

Its not a difficult decision to make , being a fast runner is not enough to justify the description" footballer" if, as you correctly say, "there is very, very, very, very rarely any end product" 

He flatters to deceive and is also probably one of the higher earners. Get him tae.

This is going to sound like sour grapes but I have just looked at league table and to see Morton a point off 4th place is unbelievable. They were dreadful yet still leave firhill with 3pts. I fully expect Caldwell to be given time only because I don't think the board have the bottle or money to do anything else. Unless Caldwell has a few aces up his sleeve we will go down. Of that I have no doubt. Shameful how the club has unraveled from top to bottom as quickly as it has. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

The banners have been on the floodlights for a few years I think. I remember looking at them a few times last season and thinking how ironic it was having these posters up, Even worse this season.

I’m more concerned about the low amount of floodlight bulbs that are working. Surely we should have all (or nearly) all of them working

Hard to know where to start with that so I’ll take it in turn:

Our tactics: Does anybody have any idea what they actually are?

Keown: One of the worst defenders to ever play for our club. Pathetic display in a long series of pathetic displays. Kudos to Caldwell for hauling him off at half time.

McGinty: We can all see that he has no footballing ability, that much is obvious. Watching him shellack 70 yard balls for 90 minutes is a genuinely harrowing experience that I will be recounting to my therapist in years to come. But his attitude also clearly stinks. Get him in the bin.

McCarthy: Gets away with far too much because he came through the youth system. He’s visibly unfit, can barely run, and covers up his atrocious technique by launching into the occasional pointless 50/50 tackle. Not good enough.

Penrice: A full back who can’t beat his man. Either get him fitter, get him in midfield or get him punted. 

Storey: Where to start? Would be a wonderful footballer if he could only play football. Tries hard but will never, ever be good enough. 

Quitongo: Innocent until proven guilty but he should be absolutely nowhere near our squad and the fact that he is makes me deeply uncomfortable. What was also uncomfortable were the people in the Northy specifically applauding him when he was warming up. What was that all about?

Caldwell: Conman. Cowboy. Chancer. The footballing equivalent of a bullshit salesman on LinkedIn. It’s clear to all that appointing him was a dreadful decision by our dreadful board but we are stuck with him. 

What a mess. What an almighty mess. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, ironfist said:

One of the best? Doesnt say much- No one was remotely good enough. We were pumped at home by a very poor Morton side. 

Why pick out McCarthy? He was clearly nowhere near the poorest performer today. I wouldn't have anchored him in a diamond but thought he dug away reasonably well in a ridiculous formation.

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Why pick out McCarthy? He was clearly nowhere near the poorest performer today. I wouldn't have anchored him in a diamond but thought he dug away reasonably well in a ridiculous formation.

He wasn’t the worst, but he’s unfit and can’t keep up with play. At 20 years old that’s unforgivable. This was supposed to be his year to cement his place in the team. He has so far shown nothing to suggest he has a long term future with us. 

I assume Caldwell is relatively wealthy after playing for some big clubs.

He should resign NOW, admitting he is a useless manager and start a career outside football. It would save him a lot of pain as there is now going to be a concerted effort to get him out.

I hated the way he patronisingly put his arm round Erskine at HT. If I had been Chris I’d have told the useless MF to get his hands off me. Erskine nearly changed the game in our favour. Why Caldwell doesn’t play him In front of these diddies is beyond me and nearly all supporters.

To start yet again with three(All useless) centre backs was incredible and don’t get me started on Storey! I again had that sinking feeling when I heard he was starting. Yet again!

Storey should’ve been looked at HT with wage thief Keown. But Caldwell is too stupid to act.

I thought McCarthy was excellent, winning tackles and demanding the ball. He’s strong but not athletic. And Elliot, Spittal And Erskine Good 2nd half.

If only we had a manager with half a brain.

34 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Just an opinion- thought folk ran away from him all day. Doesn’t do much with the ball either

19 minutes ago, ironfist said:

Just an opinion- thought folk ran away from him all day. Doesn’t do much with the ball either

You are of course entitled to your opinion but you originally said " Unfortunately McCarthy is not good enough either- he doesn’t have the energy required to play centre mid never mind ability. "

I too am entitled to my opinion and I disagree with the above statement and whilst I accept the  overall team performance and result today was poor, I thought McCarthy did well and I would keep him in the team. Certainly ahead of :-Elliott, McGinty, Keown  Storey and  Doolan .

The team is playing with no identity, bad structure and no direction.  Yes we were spoilt to an extent with the previous 5 seasons especially the Top 6 season where we would switch from a back 3 to a back 4 easily but any team in any league needs to have something about them to compete and we unfortunately don't have it.

The first half was terrible.  A bad mistake by Sneddon but with his youth and inexperience we need to give him a break.  The back 3 does not work.  We end up having 3 defenders in a row and we lose the midfield battle.  No one can bring the ball out 10 to 15 yards and make space.   McGinty is an ok player but I feel Caldwell is making his life difficult by making him have too much of the ball.  He does have a decent pass in him but at this level you cannot expect him to be successful all the time.  Scobbie is ok and Keown of 2 seasons ago is all but a mere distant memory.  What I would give to have a Balatoni in there. right now.  Elliott and Penrice played better as full backs and I though both managed to get past players in the 2nd half.  WE need a centre half be it O'Ware or another like when we got Lee Mair in the 2nd half of our 1st season back in the top flight.

Midfield was lost in 1st half.  Slater, McCarthy and Spittal were ineffective.  Better in the 2nd with the move to a back 4 but I struggled to see what the real formation was and only the official site said 4-2-3-1.  Slater is a good player with a cracking goal.  McCarthy brings in more defensive solidity and I thought he did ok.  Could he be the player to protect the defence ala Paton and Osman role?  We have a strong midfield with Bannigan to come in but I struggle to see how we can accommodate everyone to their best strengths.  Do we put Penrice in DM and get a LB?  Something is not clicking when it should be the easiest area to fix.

Attack 1st half nothing.  Storey is playing as a number 9 but while is strong and quick he cannot cross or shoot.  Yes he was unlucky with Dools touching his shot in an offside position as it was going in I think but he needs to go.  It is just not working.  Doolan is not playing in his best position.  Erskine came on his limited link up play with Doolan was more effective.  However it seemed that Erskine and Spittal were almost playing in the same position and getting in each others way and Erskine should have taken out their player when they broke for their 2nd.   Our attack has no plan or structure.

We should have had a penalty with a push on Doolan.  We could maybe have had another penalty when the ball hit Morton defenders arm as he slid to tackle and we almost snatched a draw with a deflection but ffs it was poor.  3500 crowd was ok and the fans got behind the team when we equalised and pushed on for a win but Caldwell is really in a bad place and I have lost faith in him already.  

Edited by Lambies Lost Doo

Watching Erskine being interviewed on Jagszone he is clearly bemused as to why Caldwell doesn’t start him. I guess all players would be like that, but when one trick pony Storey gets a starting game every week I feel Erskine has a point. And I suspect Erskine isn’t the only one in the dressing room privately thinking the manager isn’t up to the job and the effect that’s having on the squad. 

10 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Watching Erskine being interviewed on Jagszone he is clearly bemused as to why Caldwell doesn’t start him. I guess all players would be like that, but when one trick pony Storey gets a starting game every week I feel Erskine has a point. And I suspect Erskine isn’t the only one in the dressing room privately thinking the manager isn’t up to the job and the effect that’s having on the squad. 

Let’s be clear erskine has been poor this season like it or not