Thistle vs. Morton, 29/12/18

Jaggernaut

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I think we need to separate the result from the performance .... 

we were actually the better team and dominated the second half

two defensive errors killed us in a game we should have never lost 

the squad is very deficient though 

No bother Gary , fingers crossed for a good weeks training 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Let’s be clear erskine has been poor this season like it or not 

Poorer than Storey? Storey has pace and nothing else, his final pass is consistently criminal. Erskine I agree has not been good this season but has a little more in his locker than Storey. 

1 minute ago, JAG1970 said:

Poorer than Storey? Storey has pace and nothing else, his final pass is consistently criminal. Erskine I agree has not been good this season but has a little more in his locker than Storey. 

Storey does quite a lot right till his final pass which is awful .... erskine was little better

somebify else might be a better plan 

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

I think we need to separate the result from the performance .... 

we were actually the better team and dominated the second half

two defensive errors killed us in a game we should have never lost 

the squad is very deficient though 

But I think we need to look at the performance and result in the context of the last few months. This isn't a one off hard luck story. It's a recurring failure to get results. 

And do you really think the squad is so deficient? I'm not defending them. They are under performing. But Doolan, Erskine, Elliott, Bannigan, McCarthy and Keown have all performed well for us in the past in the premier league. Slater and Storey have played for other teams and been succesful at that level. Bell is experienced at that level. Penrice was a star for Livingston in this league. Spittal played for one of the strongest teams in this league. Others have played at a decent level.

I agree that signings were poor and the squad balance is all wrong, but I don't accept that these players are as bad as the results. They need organised and motivated. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, allyo said:

But I think we need to look at the performance and result in the context of the last few months. This isn't a one off hard luck story. It's a recurring failure to get results. 

And do you really think the squad is so deficient? I'm not defending them. They are under performing. But Doolan, Erskine, Elliott, Bannigan, McCarthy and Keown have all performed well for us in the past in the premier league. Slater and Storey have played for other teams and been succesful at that level. Bell is experienced at that level. Penrice was a star for Livingston in this league. Spittal played for one of the strongest teams in this league. Others have played at a decent level.

I agree that signings were poor and the squad balance is all wrong, but I don't accept that these players are as bad as the results. They need organised and motivated. 

Agree. How many would have looked at our squad and the Alloa squad and predicted they would have been 5 points ahead of us after 19 games. I would suggest nobody as our squad is better. But the manager isn't.

• Like 1

I'm not one to fly in with rabid criticism, but other than that 15 minute period in the second half when we looked interested, and nearly took the lead, that performance was simply gruesome.

There are too many players who just haven't got it, even at this level - McGinty and Storey are simply not football players - added to the fact that Caldwell can't even raise the standard of the players he's got to the dizzy heights of mediocrity.

I don't know how financially difficult it would be to issue Caldwell with his jotters, given his 2-year deal (groan), but I fear that not doing so could lead us into the sort of long term decline that led to Bunnetball and the grimmest of fates that was narrowly avoided, following the appointment of Ian McCall.

Speaking of which...

2 minutes ago, Hankey said:

No less than the cuddly toy fans deserve. Doolan was awful again today, but hes a legend!

I agree Doolan has been poor this season but possibly need to find out the reasons for his slump  in form . Not sure how a guy who scored roughly 12/15 goals for the last 5 seasons in the SPFL suddenly becomes a bad player.

Think Doolan is 32 , never relied on pace to score goals and relied more on game intelligence to get his quota of goals . Not defending him but chasing players back in a midfield role doesn’t work .

Thought when Erskine came on , Doolan looked better , getting back to linking up with players and looking a threat

Watched Doolan first half and he made runs into the box usually on his own surrounded by 4 or 5 defenders and he waited for Miles Storey to get a cross in which usually hit the first defender.

There will become a time when Dools time is up but it shouldn’t be at 32 yrs of age .

Most strikers would struggle to score goals in our team just now in my opinion .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Storey does quite a lot right till his final pass which is awful

I realise that a fan's view can be deceptive but I never (or very rarely) see Storey look up to see other players breaking or in position to receive a pass. Looks to me he just clips a ball into an area where he anticipates a teammate should/might be. Tho' not today but the number of times he needlessly gets caught offside kinda backs this up .

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I agree Doolan has been poor this season but possibly need to find out the reasons for his slump  in form . Not sure how a guy who scored roughly 12/15 goals for the last 5 seasons in the SPFL suddenly becomes a bad player.

Think Doolan is 32 , never relied on pace to score goals and relied more on game intelligence to get his quota of goals . Not defending him but chasing players back in a midfield role doesn’t work .

Thought when Erskine came on , Doolan looked better , getting back to linking up with players and looking a threat

Watched Doolan first half and he made runs into the box usually on his own surrounded by 4 or 5 defenders and he waited for Miles Storey to get a cross in which usually hit the first defender.

There will become a time when Dools time is up but it shouldn’t be at 32 yrs of age .

Most strikers would struggle to score goals in our team just now in my opinion .

Hes a legend.

22 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree. How many would have looked at our squad and the Alloa squad and predicted they would have been 5 points ahead of us after 19 games. I would suggest nobody as our squad is better. But the manager isn't.

In the time that Gary Caldwell has been in charge, Alloa are ten points better off than us. :(

12 hours ago, Hugh Janus said:

It was Slater's pass that went astray that started it.

Was it not erskinho that had the chance in the centre of the park to take a hit, pro foul? That said our defence were cluless and the first goal..............can't blame caldwell for that, as much as i'd like to. Perhaps we could take a leaf from jordanhill jag and blame the weirs:drink2:

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I realise that a fan's view can be deceptive but I never (or very rarely) see Storey look up to see other players breaking or in position to receive a pass. Looks to me he just clips a ball into an area where he anticipates a teammate should/might be. Tho' not today but the number of times he needlessly gets caught offside kinda backs this up .

He never looks up before he plays a pass. Surely this is pretty basic coaching and a pretty basic expectation from someone whose job it is to actually do so?

Two unbelievable goals to give away. The first Sneddon has to take the most blame. I have no idea what he was thinking coming out. He had no chance of actually getting the ball. He is still coming out even after the Morton player touches the ball! I was shouting at him to get back into his goal along with several other fans. 
Hard to see from the footage but looks like Penrice is caught out of position at the kick out - then Elliot is preoccupied at not leaving the Morton player on a one and one with the goalie. I am sure he does not see Sneddon is off his line. 

The second goal It's a 4 v 1! Elliot and Macarthy both see the run of Telfer and at first both follow. Macarthy passes the player on and shouts, Elliot at first does not follow and Penrice? is not looking as he pre-occupied with the Morton player on the ball.  Poor poor defending but hardly surprising - its a common occurrence. I really doubt any other team has let in so many soft goals in this league. 

I do feel we were unlucky though. We should have got a pen for the push on Doolan. Then Chris puts the ball over the line when Storey's flick was goal bound. I know it's a strikers instinct to do this but should have not drifted offside as he did anyway. 

Slater was average first half but brilliant in the second half. We played well for long periods of the half and our pressure should have lead to more goals,

Andy Mccarthy did well but still does not look fit. If he got a run of games I am sure he would be a big player for us. Not sure how he fits in with Banzo coming back and Slater being so good in the second half though. 

We were extremely poor in the first half yesterday, Keown looked as if he had never played football before in his life Young Andy McCarthy looked out of his depth. Morton's first goal came from a punt up the park from their keeper, we were completely disorganised. 

We were a bit better in the second half and the goal was excellent, their second goal came from a misplaced cross that landed at the edge of their 18 yd box, we had opportunities to close down/pull down their guy on the way through.

Most of the guys that we had on the pitch are capable of much better, how many times over the years have we watched opposition teams of much less ability grind out results? Just now we do not have a clue how to even hold out for a draw.

I am fed up with the hard luck stories, we could have had a penalty, the offside goal would have stood if Doolan did not touch it and so on.

We are not organised and only a few of the team seem capable of putting in a full ninety minutes. Only the manager can change that, so far he seems incapable of doing this

Our only target now is survival, I do not care who we bring in. We have to accept that unless things change radically over the next few weeks that a second relegation is the likely result.

Over the years I have watched many poor players at Firhill, but rarely have I watched such a regular disorganised shambles.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

We were extremely poor in the first half yesterday, Keown looked as if he had never played football before in his life Young Andy McCarthy looked out of his depth. Morton's first goal came from a punt up the park from their keeper, we were completely disorganised. 

We were a bit better in the second half and the goal was excellent, their second goal came from a misplaced cross that landed at the edge of their 18 yd box, we had opportunities to close down/pull down their guy on the way through.

Most of the guys that we had on the pitch are capable of much better, how many times over the years have we watched opposition teams of much less ability grind out results? Just now we do not have a clue how to even hold out for a draw.

I am fed up with the hard luck stories, we could have had a penalty, the offside goal would have stood if Doolan did not touch it and so on.

We are not organised and only a few of the team seem capable of putting in a full ninety minutes. Only the manager can change that, so far he seems incapable of doing this

Our only target now is survival, I do not care who we bring in. We have to accept that unless things change radically over the next few weeks that a second relegation is the likely result.

Over the years I have watched many poor players at Firhill, but rarely have I watched such a regular disorganised shambles.

Gary says promotion is still the aim.

Johansson says, "The counter attack was something we talked about because at times Thistle play expansive and leave themselves open at the back - that's why Tiffoney started." 

The other teams have us sussed (have done for seasons), they just let us do our side-side-side getting nowhere passing and eventually they'll get their chance to just waltz through the middle and score at some point. Talked to Morton fans after the game, "why don't you play more directly?" they said.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, West Ender said:

Johansson says, "The counter attack was something we talked about because at times Thistle play expansive and leave themselves open at the back - that's why Tiffoney started." 

The other teams have us sussed (have done for seasons), they just let us do our side-side-side getting nowhere passing and eventually they'll get their chance to just waltz through the middle and score at some point. Talked to Morton fans after the game, "why don't you play more directly?" they said.

I saw that quote. "Expansive" made me laugh. Very generous description I thought