Winter window

That 1 jags fan

ATS was on Motherwell’a bench Saturday. Delighted if we could get him on loan.

Cardle’s a ‘yes’ also, well above the garbage we’ve been putting on the park.  If Harkins is fit enough to last a game sign him. If only 60 minutes forget it.

I know Erskine has been far more inconsistent but he should be starting. The team’s garbage and he sits on the bench. Crass stupidity!

51 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

ATS was on Motherwell’a bench Saturday. Delighted if we could get him on loan.

Cardle’s a ‘yes’ also, well above the garbage we’ve been putting on the park.  If Harkins is fit enough to last a game sign him. If only 60 minutes forget it.

I know Erskine has been far more inconsistent but he should be starting. The team’s garbage and he sits on the bench. Crass stupidity!

Just picking up on your last paragraph and agreeing totally. Cannot understand why Miles Storey is given such lengthy game time, while Chris Erskine is brought on far too late to influence the match. Both players can be inconsistent, but Erskine's end product is generally so much better.

My team for Saturday goes back to 4-2-3-1. I may not be a tactical genius, but one thing I have learned from watching Thistle over the past two decades and more is that there is no point playing 3 at the back unless one of them is capable of bringing the ball forward through the midfield and also making telling passes along the ground. Scott Paterson was of course the supreme exponent of this, though at times Adam Barton aspired to something similar.  We are just wasting a player. I would go for the following, with the 3 behind Doolan interchanging as required to keep the Morton defence guessing:

Sneddon

Elliott  Jeffries  McGinty  Penrice

Slater  McCarthy

Spittal  Erskine  Fitzpatrick

Doolan

• Like 2

12 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Just picking up on your last paragraph and agreeing totally. Cannot understand why Miles Storey is given such lengthy game time, while Chris Erskine is brought on far too late to influence the match. Both players can be inconsistent, but Erskine's end product is generally so much better.

My team for Saturday goes back to 4-2-3-1. I may not be a tactical genius, but one thing I have learned from watching Thistle over the past two decades and more is that there is no point playing 3 at the back unless one of them is capable of bringing the ball forward through the midfield and also making telling passes along the ground. Scott Paterson was of course the supreme exponent of this, though at times Adam Barton aspired to something similar.  We are just wasting a player. I would go for the following, with the 3 behind Doolan interchanging as required to keep the Morton defence guessing:

Sneddon

Elliott  Jeffries  McGinty  Penrice

Slater  McCarthy

Spittal  Erskine  Fitzpatrick

Doolan

See the thing about storey... if we are going to pick him why not play to his strengths. I can’t recall any times where we knock the ball long (over the top, or into channels) to allow him to use his pace. He’s continually out wide and then boots the ball past his man and scarpers. Our coaching of him, and tactics have been poor. I really can’t fathom why we don’t ask him to run in behind instead of always coming short/wide.

1 hour ago, blakey said:

See the thing about storey... if we are going to pick him why not play to his strengths. I can’t recall any times where we knock the ball long (over the top, or into channels) to allow him to use his pace. He’s continually out wide and then boots the ball past his man and scarpers. Our coaching of him, and tactics have been poor. I really can’t fathom why we don’t ask him to run in behind instead of always coming short/wide.

Agree to a point. Storey is strong and fast and we don't utilise these qualities enough. Not meaning to sound facetious, I'm being serious. Someone would have to sit down with the lad and explain the offside rule to him. 

And again being serious it might not be a bad idea to sacrifice a new player in the transfer window and bring in a striker/forward coach. Would kinda suit a media darling and Scott McDonald or Billy Dodds I think would fit the bill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

Sammon’s a lump and a dud lump at that. It  would be a backward’s step and I’m glad he turned us down.

If most of the player rumours are true I can’t say I’m impressed at Caldwell’s assessment of what is a decent player.

Caldwell thinks Storey is a good winger. That should answer your question about his assessment of players.

57 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Caldwell thinks Storey is a good winger. That should answer your question about his assessment of players.

Exactly. And he was meant to have done an analysis of each player prior to his interview? Can’t have done a very thorough job.......

And this is the man the board are going to trust with funds in the transfer window.

(Shudder).....

3 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

Sammon would be a good signing if we had got him.  Target man and big commanding center back are the two essentials in the window. 

FFS!!  Take it you didn't manage to catch him playing for us last season!!!

Total dud.  Motherwell sussed him out in about 3 games

• Like 2