Winter window

That 1 jags fan

1 hour ago, westertonjagfan said:

Is Caldwell to be trusted with January window purrchases?

Imo no. Who is going to want to sign for a club in free fall. A new manager who has only 1 win from his first 10games. The only players we will get are they one's no other team wants. I have been wrong before and I hope I am wrong this time.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Imo no. Who is going to want to sign for a club in free fall. A new manager who has only 1 win from his first 10games. The only players we will get are they one's no other team wants. I have been wrong before and I hope I am wrong this time.

People who would rather be footballers than have to go and work a real job. Loads.

40 minutes ago, Hankey said:

People who would rather be footballers than have to go and work a real job. Loads.

I have no doubt we will sign some players, who will be praised by our manager and no doubt we will be told they will turn our season around. But will they be any good or be good enough to get us away from relegation play off spot.

7 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I have no doubt we will sign some players, who will be praised by our manager and no doubt we will be told they will turn our season around. But will they be any good or be good enough to get us away from relegation play off spot.

Conor Hazard incoming 

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

It isn't as bleak as that. We may be able to pay better wages than a lot of other teams in this league, which is the most important thing in attracting players (which is why wealthy clubs win trophies). We were in the top flight last season, for what it's worth, so have at least been associated with top flight football recently. We have the biggest fan base in the league outwith Dundee United (probably equivalent to Falkirk/Dunfermline). We are located well in central Scotland.

What I'm more concerned about, based on his first 10 games in charge, is Gary Caldwell's ability to competently manage any new signings.

9 minutes ago, milhouse said:

It isn't as bleak as that. We may be able to pay better wages than a lot of other teams in this league, which is the most important thing in attracting players (which is why wealthy clubs win trophies). We were in the top flight last season, for what it's worth, so have at least been associated with top flight football recently. We have the biggest fan base in the league outwith Dundee United (probably equivalent to Falkirk/Dunfermline). We are located well in central Scotland.

What I'm more concerned about, based on his first 10 games in charge, is Gary Caldwell's ability to competently manage any new signings.

I did mention Caldwell's record as being a factor for any thinking of signing for us.

12 minutes ago, jaf said:

i think that Falkirk have an emergency rainy day fund of cash they have accumulated, as well as significantly lower operating costs.  So the financials may not be as compelling as we might think. 

They maybe paying a fine shortly for their patching of Ray McKinnon from Morton. Presumably like us with Archie they are also paying Hartley compo

6 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Yes, interesting.  I think any of them would significantly improve the team.  I have major doubts if any of them would come to Thistle.  Mackie looked a real player when he came on in Hibs victory over Celtic a few weeks ago. I think he would be looking to push for a first team place. Same goes for Wright.

I think only Saunders is realistic.

We have to look at where we are as a club at the moment. We're not a very attractive place to be for players wishing to showcase their talent...……. but if you don't ask you don't get!!

9 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Yes, interesting.  I think any of them would significantly improve the team.  I have major doubts if any of them would come to Thistle.  Mackie looked a real player when he came on in Hibs victory over Celtic a few weeks ago. I think he would be looking to push for a first team place. Same goes for Wright.

I think only Saunders is realistic.

We have to look at where we are as a club at the moment. We're not a very attractive place to be for players wishing to showcase their talent...……. but if you don't ask you don't get!!

Yep, interesting and sensible.

2 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Sad how his career has panned out.  Loads of talent.  Good to watch on his day.  Very calm.  Other issues may have caused him not to fulfill his potential.

Arrived at Firhill and rightfully compared to Allan Hansen in style. Then Barton kinda turned into, for those old enough to remember him, a sort of George Connelly type character.  The transformation from good to poor from the likes of Barton, Keown & Osman was painful. The consequences obvious.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Arrived at Firhill and rightfully compared to Allan Hansen in style. Then Barton kinda turned into, for those old enough to remember him, a sort of George Connelly type character.  The transformation from good to poor from the likes of Barton, Keown & Osman was painful. The consequences obvious.

You could put Dumbuya into the same category of good opening, poor endgame, though for somewhat different reasons. Can that in some way be linked to their coming from the English lower leagues? Recruits from the Scottish leagues have generally been more consistently on the poor side of average  rather than peaking and troughing. Danny Devine is one example who would fit that pattern.