Winter window

That 1 jags fan

I didn’t get any feelings of angst when reading about Cardle signing. Maybe this Transfer Window malarkey isn’t that awful after all?

It also seems that Caldwell has put some thought into who he wants in. The intriguing question, for me, is I wonder who he wants out? 

Just now, jagfox said:

I didn’t get any feelings of angst when reading about Cardle signing. Maybe this Transfer Window malarkey isn’t that awful after all?

It also seems that Caldwell has put some thought into who he wants in. The intriguing question, for me, is I wonder who he wants out? 

Hopefully the likes of Bell, Ntambwe, Mutumbo, Elliott, Erskine can be moved on.

5 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Yeah, think we'll hear soon about who's heading out. For me..Storey, Bell, Mutumbo, Ntambwe, Keown wouldn't upset me too much if they left. 

8 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Hopefully the likes of Bell, Ntambwe, Mutumbo, Elliott, Erskine can be moved on.

3 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Yeah, think we'll hear soon about who's heading out. For me..Storey, Bell, Mutumbo, Ntambwe, Keown wouldn't upset me too much if they left. 

I don’t see Storey or Elliott leaving. Virtual ever presents under GC. It would be good to get Bell and Keown off the wage bill, imo. The writing seems on the wall for Erskine which is a bit of a shame. N’twambe and Mutumbo shouldn’t have been signed in the first place.

Just now, jagfox said:

I don’t see Storey or Elliott leaving. Virtual ever presents under GC. It would be good to get Bell and Keown off the wage bill, imo. The writing seems on the wall for Erskine which is a bit of a shame. N’twambe and Mutumbo shouldn’t have been signed in the first place.

Christie is a great squad player and hopefully he'll stay. He's been a great club servant. Agree about Squiddy-it'll be a shame to see him go. Cannot see what GC sees in Storey but maybe he has a plan for how to get the best out of him amongst the new signings (not holding my breath).

8 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Just a thought. Regarding Bell, could it be that his injury will keep him out for if not all the season most of it.

I’m sure he’s free of injury. Just dropped and couldn’t even make the bench last week. The signing of Hazard suggests Caldwell has little faith in his ability. Something I agree with Gary on!

I'm just going on percentages. Harkins, Saunders & Cardle. Either one from three will be a success or maybees each will have a very decent game every three matches. So far we've lost Storer and Quitongo so we're quids in.

At least Cardle has been about the squad for a while and shouldn't require too much easing in to our set up (whatever that is).

If Chris Erskine leaves the Club during this transfer window, that one fact will be, net, more damaging  in a permanent way for the Club and its culture than pretty much anything else Caldwell could conceivably do between now and April.

The lad has "the right attitude" in spades, and he and Doolan are an all too rare phenomenon of two guys that are miles better than the sum of their parts. You dump Erskine and (especially in the latter part of Doolan's career) you cut-off your main asset at the knees.

The fact that signings so far have been eerily "not shit" and the released players so far have been "yes please get rid" makes me anxious about who exactly Caldwell plans to release near the end of January.

Edited by Woodstock Jag
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

If Chris Erskine leaves the Club during this transfer window, that one fact will be, net, more damaging  in a permanent way for the Club and its culture than pretty much anything else Caldwell could conceivably do between now and April.

Absolutely spot on. Erskine is only 31 and should be able to play at this level for another 2/3 years.

Not convinced by the signings so far. I get that others think they are improvements on what we let go but those we let go weren't playing (Quitongo, Storer) and the ones we signed weren't setting the heather on fire at clubs around us

Harkins - QOS fans weren't to upset about him going, Cardle - Dunfermline thought he did well but his time was up, Hazard - Falkirk weren't desperate to resign him, Saunders - couldn't get a game for Livi.

So far I'm not really seeing anything that massively improves our starting 11.

I don't see where Harkins fits into the current system when we have such a lightwieght midfield. Hazard might be better than Sneddon but is he really experienced enough to see us through a relegation fight? Cardle being a left sided winger might provide more balance than fitzpatrick and its hard to believe that Saunders isn't a better option than Elliot or Keown so he perhaps those two might improve things slightly.

Edited by laukat
typo

2 minutes ago, laukat said:

Absolutely spot on. Erskine is only 31 and should be able to play at this level for another 2/3 years.

Not convinced by the signings so far. I get that others think they are improvements on what we let go but those we let go weren't playing (Quitongo, Storer) and the ones we signed weren't setting the heather on fire at clubs around us

Harkins - QOS fans weren't to upset about him going, Cardle - Dunfermline thought he did well but his time was up, Hazard - Falkirk weren't desperate to resign him, Saunders - couldn't get a game for Livi.

I don't see where Harkins fits into the current system when we have such a lightwieght midfield. Hazard might be better than Sneddon but is he really experienced enough to see us through a relegation fight? Cardle being a left sided winger might provide more balance than fitzpatrick and its hard to believe that Saunders isn't a better option than Elliot or Keown so he perhaps those two might improve things slightly.

What’s your track record on predicting signing success ?

5 minutes ago, sandy said:

Erskine & Doolan are doing coaching badges, we need to keep both as they could continue at the Club beyond their playing days.

Both have been fantastic servants & ambassadors for Thistle.

Doing a coaching badge doesn’t mean you will be a good coach and they both get paid by the club .... where’s the loyalty ? The same loyalty that kept Archie on way too long ? 

Just now, javeajag said:

What’s your track record on predicting signing success ?

Never done any predictions on this forum before as far as I can remember.  All the guys signed could be brilliant and I hope/need that to be so however I'm not seeing anything so far that makes me think we're going to be ok.

27 minutes ago, laukat said:

If Saunders was getting a game at Livi he wouldn't be interested in coming to us. Got to be cheaper and at least as good as Keown

31 minutes ago, laukat said:

2 minutes ago, dunmorejag said:

If Saunders was getting a game at Livi he wouldn't be interested in coming to us. Got to be cheaper and at least as good as Keown

Also Fitzpatrick seems more effective playing in the right wing, than the left.

To be fair Doolan could go tomorrow and we wouldn’t notice the difference and lets not blur history about the fantastic servant stuff Erskine was quick enough to jump ship to Dundee Utd. Out of the 2 would definitely keep Erskine as he has the potential to either score or create that opportunity for others if played in the correct position.